Author Topic: Jeep Died after TB Upgrade/Header Need Advice  (Read 3881 times)

tbirde7

Jeep Died after TB Upgrade/Header Need Advice
« on: July 27, 2012, 08:00:51 PM »
Hey everyone need some advice here, kinda stumped.

The Jeep was funning fine since the day I got it about a month ago.
Today is the exception.

Today I installed my new Pacesetter Header and since I had to remove the intake manifold I cleaned it up and decided to add
the 4.0 TB I got form a friend which I had already cleaned eariler.
I swapped the IAC assy, the TPS and the MAP sensor from the 2.5 TB.
Installed everything back on the jeep ran the new downpipe extension into the CAT and double checked all connections and
hoses twice.

Started Jeep in ran at a little high idle for a few minutes through a code and settled back down I let it run for about 5 mins.
I cut it off and cleared the code.
I started it back up and backed it off the the car ramps it ran for about 15 mins and just died.
It will crank but will not start, so i checked all connections under again and everything is good.
I poured some fuel down the throttle body and still nothing not even a attempt to start.

So at that point thinking electrical, so check all fuses behind glove box and they are good.
Checked fuses in PDC and #21 is blown 20a, replaced it and blew again when when I turned it over.
So replaced it again and this time I didn't turn it over just turned key to "on" poition and yep blew the fuse again.
Now under the PDC cap it doesn't tell me at all what this fuse does, nor does the owners manual.
So I'm at a lost on what to check next until I find out what this fuse controls.

Any help would be appreciated as I am suppose to get the rest of the exhaust replaced in the morning.

Thanks
Mike

tbirde7

Re: Jeep Died after TB Upgrade/Header Need Advice
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2012, 08:28:13 PM »
Please forgive the spelling it's been a long day.
Thanks
Mike

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel BlowerŪ
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2012, 09:10:24 PM »
comes from the ASD relay and provides 12v to your ...

EDIT: ignition coil among other things
it's the ASD Relay 12v output and powers the following
 - ignition coil
 - Oxygen Sensors
 - fuel injectors

unplug one at a time and see what happens, i put my money on the O2 sensor in the header, maybe you burned the wiring or it got busted and it's grounded now, i would start with that, coil next and injectors last (unless you can think of a reason to start with these first).
« Last Edit: July 27, 2012, 09:17:54 PM by sharpxmen »
'95 YJ, NSG370 6spd / Hurst shifter, Dana 300 + 4:1 Doubler / tri-stick, Custom skid, Super D35 / Auburn LSD / 4.88, 35x12.5x15 BFG KM2, 64mm t/b, 1.7 RollerRockers, MkVIII e-fan, Dual Diaph Booster
Latest: Corbeau BajaRS heated seats :dance: keeping warm the rear end

tbirde7

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2012, 09:55:55 PM »
You know I had a feeling the O2 sensor was going to be an issue as it was real close to the header, so until I could make an extension or buy one pre-fab, I used zip ties to keep it away from the header.  Cool, I was getting up early in the morning anyhow and start back tracking so I will start with that first.  Good to know about that fuse controlling those other items as well.

Thanks for the help
Mike

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel BlowerŪ
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2012, 11:35:58 PM »
there's another o2 sensor past the cat, that would be the last one to think of but just in case
'95 YJ, NSG370 6spd / Hurst shifter, Dana 300 + 4:1 Doubler / tri-stick, Custom skid, Super D35 / Auburn LSD / 4.88, 35x12.5x15 BFG KM2, 64mm t/b, 1.7 RollerRockers, MkVIII e-fan, Dual Diaph Booster

Offline VA_YJ

• Now I need a CJ...
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2012, 02:26:41 PM »
You might also check to make sure the new header is not touching the crank position sensor CPS wire.  It could be burned.
95 YJ, 31 BFG ATs, 4.0 TB & spacer, Banks header, DynoMax CAT back, 19# inj, AEM CAI, 20 gal mod, Optima yellow
98 TJ, 35 BFG Krawlers, 4.0 liter, ax15, atlas 5:1, armor, Super 88 (under construction)
96 XJ Cheep Cherokee, 33s, 4.0 liter, AW4, future project
89 Waggy, 360 V8 727 dana 44s, it runs

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel BlowerŪ
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2012, 10:17:00 AM »
so what's the word, did you fix it?

tbirde7

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2012, 08:49:55 PM »
Good news the Jeep is ALIVE!!!  Got up Saturday morning at 0530 and started with the header O2 sensor and worked backwards turned out to be part of the main engine harness had layed on top of the exhaust at the rear cylinder, burnt about 4 wires one of which is orange/striped ( have seen that color in other places ) so fixed all that and extended the O2 sensors wires also.  Made my exhaust appointment just in time, got 2 1/2 just about all the way back and OMG that's got to be the baddest sounding 4 cylinder I have ever heard.  Hard to believe how much more pep that little engines got now, sorry for late reply had to work.  Appreciate the help once again.

Thanks
Mike

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel BlowerŪ
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2012, 10:15:22 PM »
cool.

tbirde7

« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2012, 10:20:34 PM »
Update on the exhaust it sounds great had small high idle problem, retightening of header/intake bolts fixed that.

Electric fan project will be next, like the Taurus setup will search the forum for best wiring setups with AC or on Internet for pre-fab kits.

Mike

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel BlowerŪ
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2012, 10:28:38 PM »
Lincoln MkVIII is another good choice, i run one and so does Jeffy. Mine is a single speed with a ballast resistor for low speed, Jeffy's is 2 speed (which is the better one but either works about the same). I have an adjustable controller for low speed and a regular thermocouple for high speed(more as a fail safe as it never gets that hot, low speed is plenty with this fan).
40Amp relay for low and 50 amp for high speed (this is important, lower will fail).

tbirde7

« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2012, 07:46:37 PM »
Sharp the type of wiring setup is exactly what I will want, plus will need to tie the AC into it.  I have done a few searches and found some heavy duty switch threads and some straight wiring fan runs all the time, that just not going to work for me.  On my old F-100 I was able to find a thermostat housing that a spot for a temperature sensor and wired it up using a factory wiring setup from a Chevrolet citation.  Was gonna look for something similar for the jeep, any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Mike

Also, got a CEL tonight coming to work TPS High circuit code, it's gonna be my luck that it's from that harness that laid on the header pipe.
Nice

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2012, 08:33:47 PM »
Lincoln MkVIII is another good choice, i run one and so does Jeffy. Mine is a single speed with a ballast resistor for low speed, Jeffy's is 2 speed (which is the better one but either works about the same). I have an adjustable controller for low speed and a regular thermocouple for high speed(more as a fail safe as it never gets that hot, low speed is plenty with this fan).
40Amp relay for low and 50 amp for high speed (this is important, lower will fail).
Do you need to worry about having both the high and low on at the same time?  I'm asking since I might need to run my HS for the AC and might consider a second trigger from the AC compressor.  With AC on a really hot day, I was told that LS might be too weak for really cold AC.
Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZNlr60GXH5OlKIFrT7P6mg
My Jeep: http://4bangerjp.com/forums/index.php?topic=2783.0
"If the motor car were invented today, there is absolutely no way that any government in the world would let normal members of the public drive one."

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel BlowerŪ
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2012, 09:41:25 PM »
Do you need to worry about having both the high and low on at the same time?  I'm asking since I might need to run my HS for the AC and might consider a second trigger from the AC compressor.  With AC on a really hot day, I was told that LS might be too weak for really cold AC.

in my case not (with the ballast resistor), not sure on yours

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel BlowerŪ
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2012, 09:55:44 PM »
Sharp the type of wiring setup is exactly what I will want, plus will need to tie the AC into it.  I have done a few searches and found some heavy duty switch threads and some straight wiring fan runs all the time, that just not going to work for me.  On my old F-100 I was able to find a thermostat housing that a spot for a temperature sensor and wired it up using a factory wiring setup from a Chevrolet citation.  Was gonna look for something similar for the jeep, any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Mike

Also, got a CEL tonight coming to work TPS High circuit code, it's gonna be my luck that it's from that harness that laid on the header pipe.
Nice

get the thru fins probe controller, i had the part number of my controller listed in my writeup for the e-fan, there is one just like it with a thru-fins sensor (mine is thread in) - that one works for the low speed just fine with the relay that is on it (just looked and it is Hayden 3651 for the thread in probe, Hayden 3647 for the thru fins version $30 at Amazon)

there is also a 2 speed one Hayden 3654, this one is $45 but the high speed relay i believe would need upgrading, i didn't use this one and i don't have any info on it, seems to be the same concept as 3651/3647 but for the high speed you'd probably have to have a remote relay with thicker wires and 50Amp rating relay.