Author Topic: Durability of my 2.5  (Read 1845 times)

Offline Bigboi

Durability of my 2.5
« on: April 20, 2015, 09:24:04 AM »
Since i have bored my engine .060 over, and had a valve job with shims installed to tighten the springs, i have to say i am quite impressed with the abuse my engine takes from me, i lay on the throttle ALL the time, even bounce off the rev limiter for a good 20-30 seconds at a time, and my engine stays strong without budging, MONTHS have gone by where people say "your gonna blow that engine", im not bragging about it, but rather astonished by this engines ability to withstand the hell i give it... and have to say dodge made a mistake by producing a base model 5 speed truck which ended up being rather durable...

Offline stan98tj

• Empty Wallet Wheeling Since 2007®
  • Wheeling New England
Re: Durability of my 2.5
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2015, 10:55:51 PM »
Since i have bored my engine .060 over, and had a valve job with shims installed to tighten the springs, i have to say i am quite impressed with the abuse my engine takes from me, i lay on the throttle ALL the time, even bounce off the rev limiter for a good 20-30 seconds at a time, and my engine stays strong without budging, MONTHS have gone by where people say "your gonna blow that engine", im not bragging about it, but rather astonished by this engines ability to withstand the hell i give it... and have to say dodge made a mistake by producing a base model 5 speed truck which ended up being rather durable...

and here i am having gone through 1.5 engines before 90k
98 TJ 35"Maxxis Trep.Old Man Emu 2.5""+1"BL,IronMan Fab control arms,4.56gears,Ford 8.8+ARB,Currie/IronMan steering, WARN VR10,HP D30 sleeved+ RCV,Body Armor Rock Rails WISHLIST:TDi.Girlfriend hates it :) If you can read this don't flip me over i dont have any $$ left to fix it

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2015, 08:42:41 PM »
Unless, you're the original owner if the engine it's hard to say how it was treated.  And rebuilds are only as good as the rebuild.  I know of several who made it over 250K miles.  I'm sure there are many more.  I haven't really kept up on that figure.

I have 88K on mine and though I'm not easy on it, it's been reliable.  Only a few issues which aren't core related.  It's a tough little engine.
Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZNlr60GXH5OlKIFrT7P6mg
My Jeep: http://4bangerjp.com/forums/index.php?topic=2783.0
"If the motor car were invented today, there is absolutely no way that any government in the world would let normal members of the public drive one."

Offline Bigboi

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2015, 12:47:51 PM »
problem im getting is that i KEEP getting the dreadful exhaust leak, i lost my 2 lower inner bolts, i am debating on buying ALL studs and nut/washers and running it that way, but going to dodge for more studs and nuts/washers its gonna cost a little, stealership dont play that

Offline grumpygy

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2015, 08:05:25 AM »
problem im getting is that i KEEP getting the dreadful exhaust leak, i lost my 2 lower inner bolts, i am debating on buying ALL studs and nut/washers and running it that way, but going to dodge for more studs and nuts/washers its gonna cost a little, stealership dont play that

Anybody try http://stage8.com/index.html

Not sure if they carry for jeep.  Used them on my old truck with a 350 and headers.  Could not keep from blowing out gaskets till I went Stage 8.
94 YJ, Cool Air intake, 19lb Inj, 4.0 Throttlebody with spacer,  31/10.50/15's