Author Topic: Uh Oh...Have to Get Smogged  (Read 2649 times)

chrisfranklin

Uh Oh...Have to Get Smogged
« on: January 05, 2007, 05:33:31 PM »
My registration renewal is pending with California  - have to get smogged.

I picked up a used stock airbox/intake tubing  a few months ago to swap with my current intake setup (no comment about the smog legality on that).  Now have to buy a paper filter.  

Will be interesting to see how the 4 banger runs with the stock intake/paper filter back in. May find myself sticking with it.

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
Re: Uh Oh...Have to Get Smogged
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2007, 05:42:29 PM »
Quote from: "chrisfranklin"
My registration renewal is pending with California  - have to get smogged.

I picked up a used stock airbox/intake tubing  a few months ago to swap with my current intake setup (no comment about the smog legality on that).  Now have to buy a paper filter.  

Will be interesting to see how the 4 banger runs with the stock intake/paper filter back in. May find myself sticking with it.

I went back to the stock airbox in '03 and have never looked back.  I like the lower-end torque with the airbox.  Not to mention, it filters really well.  And yes, I have the turn down at the front of the box and the venturi in the top.  I'm probably getting cooler air then I did with my old open filter setup too.
Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZNlr60GXH5OlKIFrT7P6mg
My Jeep: http://4bangerjp.com/forums/index.php?topic=2783.0
"If the motor car were invented today, there is absolutely no way that any government in the world would let normal members of the public drive one."

StvDiego

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2007, 11:39:08 PM »
I have an aftermarker intake on my Jeep, my Ranger and my RV, all with a big ol' K&N filter hanging off the end and have never had a problem pasing smog in California.

You might consider going down to the local smog joint, popping the hood and asking them if it would pass visual. If they say no, change it and go somewhere else.

Usually, as long as all of the required connections are there, most of the aftermarket intakes are legal in Cal.

If all else fails, bribe somebody

chrisfranklin

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2007, 04:33:03 PM »
went back to the stock airbox in '03 and have never looked back. I like the lower-end torque with the airbox. Not to mention, it filters really well

Yeah, I picked up that plastic stock intake piece for the used airbox I had and reinstalled everything including a paper filter - all for the sake of emissions testing.  And, yeah, the low end is now better like you said Jeffy.  There's a bit more restriction on the high-end, but the engine revs out well anyway, regardless

chrisfranklin

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2007, 01:44:30 AM »
Have gone back to the airbox and paper filter.  Yes, in city driving, torque is better - don't think the engine is starving for fuel at low rpm like it seemed to with the cone intake.

But, highway driving has suffered a bit with the airbox and paper filter.  Can't seem to get the best of both - low speed torque and better high-end for the highway - unfortunately.  However, I'll probably just stick with the airbox and paper filter, give the majority of driving I do is in urbania

chrisfranklin

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2007, 04:08:39 PM »
Took the test today and passed.    Not going to get in to what it took to "pass" at the end of 2004...

My NOX readings at 15mph were still a bit high, 508ppm (539 is max).  But then at 25mph, was 364ppm (792 is max).  Still wondering if Jeep is running slightly lean at low rpm since high NOX may indicate a lean runnign condition.  (you Ca. guys know what you got on Nox for your 4banger?)

Carbon Monoxide was .08 (.72 max) at 15mph and .04 (.86 max) at 25mph.  HC was 65ppm (max 93) at 15mph and 47ppm (58 max) at 25mph.

Think the reason I was square with CARB on this go around with SMOG was because I had fixed a busted exhaust manifold bolt that was allowing a  slight exhaust leak.  The leak probably screwed the Jeep's emissions equipment, maybe the cat and Oxygen sensor.  I had been reading too high NOX before, though CO and HC were within range.  I am slightly relieved about all this (need a whew! emoticon  :lol: )

---------

Note:  I had to go to a Test-Only station.  this go around, the test seemed a little more elaborate.  The shop had this device that tests the seal on your gas cap - to see if any fumes will escape or something (I had to buy another gas cap)  Guy then popped the hood, did the whole rundown as far as visual inspection.  Now,this was a specialized place that just did SMOG tests, so the visual insepction was probably more strict than at places that offer more diversified automotive services - lube, repair, etc - in addition to SMOG test.  But, buying that used air box, paper filter might not have been such a bad idea this go around.  This guy didn't look like he'd haver passed a cone filter/metal tube setup without a CARB-exempt decal on it.  California Jeep people beware.

JeepManMarc

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2007, 04:38:01 PM »
Smogged?  Whats that mean?  :lol:   One good thing about Iowa!  I hear so many horror stories about people getting screwed over, mainly when I was really into the import scene and someone would have a 15,000 dollar turbo'd engine that cant get their car registered.  They have to pull the engine and wiring and convert it all to stock for one day.   :evil:

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2007, 05:09:59 PM »
Quote from: "JeepManMarc"
Smogged?  Whats that mean?  :lol:   One good thing about Iowa!  I hear so many horror stories about people getting screwed over, mainly when I was really into the import scene and someone would have a 15,000 dollar turbo'd engine that cant get their car registered.  They have to pull the engine and wiring and convert it all to stock for one day.   :evil:

That's their own fault though.  You don't drop a JDM engine that was never offered in the states and expect it to pass the visual, let alone the actual emissions part.  It's not like the rules have changed recently.  Too many internet tuners hear about an engine and want to do it without looking into what's actual involved or legal.   In those cases, it's better to do a legal swap.  Although you can get around this by buying a new vehicle since they are exempt for 6 years, I believe.  This is how many are installing non-spec engines into new Jeeps in CA.  I'm not sure what happens after the 6 years though.
"If the motor car were invented today, there is absolutely no way that any government in the world would let normal members of the public drive one."

JeepManMarc

« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2007, 05:39:20 PM »
Well, I have owned a JDM typeR B16) and the US spec version the (B16A2) Let me tell you, there is a good reason people import these engines.  Its not just JDM engines that dont pass, If you have a killer boosted race engine in anything, good luck no matter where its from.  I have seen JDM engines made to pass, and I have seen us spec engines that fail miserably.  Bottom line is unlesss its factory or darn close you might as well count on having issues.  I have seen police pull over these cars and have the hood popped and everything, its rediculous at best.  Imnot trying to argue or anything so dont take this in a bad way, just frustrates me seeing creative people pushing the envalope in automotive technology spending thousands getting harrassed over intakes and turbos.

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2007, 05:58:31 PM »
Quote from: "JeepManMarc"
Well, I have owned a JDM typeR B16) and the US spec version the (B16A2) Let me tell you, there is a good reason people import these engines.  Its not just JDM engines that dont pass, If you have a killer boosted race engine in anything, good luck no matter where its from.  I have seen JDM engines made to pass, and I have seen us spec engines that fail miserably.  Bottom line is unlesss its factory or darn close you might as well count on having issues.  I have seen police pull over these cars and have the hood popped and everything, its rediculous at best.  Imnot trying to argue or anything so dont take this in a bad way, just frustrates me seeing creative people pushing the envalope in automotive technology spending thousands getting harrassed over intakes and turbos.

Well many JDM engines were never used in the US to begin with.  Look at the SR20DET or the CA18DET.  Like your example, not all JDM engines are illegal.  For the most part if the engine was offered in the US with the same config., it should be OK.  You can probably find a illegal swap in a 240 for sale in a autoTrader any day of the week.  Sold as is.  On the same token, you can sometimes find illegal swaps in Jeeps and many other cars and trucks.  A friend of mine had some trouble with the DOT over his 5.9L swap into a TJ.  he had problems with the modified down pipe even though he had all 4 O2 sensors and cats in place.  It passed the sniffer though.  I've got another friend who had a 360 in his CJ7 that's registered with a 302.  The blocks look identical so it passed the visual.

Honestly, I think if you pass the sniffer engine mods shouldn't matter since that's the only thing they're really worried about.  I think I heard that some states only check the emissions and don't care about the internals.  Then you got hotrods (ok, most are exempt but you also have muscle) who pull the old engines and install late model engines so they have to be getting better emissions then they ever did with the original.  Still, I find emission tests easier then so called 'Safety Inspections'.

Jesse-James

« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2007, 06:47:13 AM »
In WI there is no visual and they keep the standard for the year built. That's why most people around here only "play" with older vehicles. Much easier to put a newer ballsy motor in and be well under the old standards. Downside is you have to pass the sniffer for anything built in '68 or later.

Offline Mozman68

• Poseur ExtraordinaireŽ
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2007, 06:57:45 AM »
Just move to Michigan...no inspection for any vehicle!!
2009 Audi S5....what....its 4wd...sort of....

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2007, 12:38:51 PM »
Quote from: "Mozman68"
Just move to Michigan...no inspection for any vehicle!!

Well, that's well and good unless you won't want to move to MI.  :lol:

I've seen many people move back to CA without selling off their 'project' then get SOL when they bring it here.  Non-street legal vehicles are very hard sells.

Interesting thing about importing a non-US car is that if it's 30 years old, there is very little paperwork required to make the car legal (pre-EPA).  Also, some JDM cars that are newer have come to the US legally.  Most notably, the Nissan Skyline R34.  I'm not sure if they can be brought to CA but I know they can be legal in other states like FL and WA.  An importer put up a bond and supplied a few cars to crash test, I believe.

Another trick some people use is to get a JDM half cut or a full car and swap all of the crucial parts over to a US unibody so they have a legal VIN.
Jeepers are known to sell titles/VINs so it's not limited to JDM.

JeepManMarc

« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2007, 02:33:32 PM »
There is a trick with some of those skylines though.  They are such a close relative to the 240sx that what happens a lot of times is when you go to register it, the car is registered as a 240..  Thats all well and good until somthing happens to your new skyline and you get insured for book value of a 1995 s40sx..  I read about that in an import mag once about a guy who imported one and it was perfectly legal, but in the end he got screwed when the car was wrecked.

Offline chardrc

« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2007, 02:43:05 PM »
so why are we talking about skylines.. i hate thats ricer cars.. we are hear to talk about jeeps... or at least i am.
1990 YJ 4cly, ax5, 2.5 inch BDS lift, 31 MTr\'s,  Powertrax-lockers all around, track-bars removed, boomerang shackles, warn m8000 winch, electric fan. [sold but not forgotten]

2007 jk Rubicon 2dr