Author Topic: Is this anyone's rebuilt 2.5L?  (Read 9195 times)

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
Is this anyone's rebuilt 2.5L?
« on: February 03, 2011, 01:52:31 PM »
Found this picture while I was browsing images.  The description says:

AMC/Jeep 2.5L four cylinder, ported head, YellaTerra roller tip rockers, MP cam 248/248-32-.440/.440(Phase II), Banks Torque Tube header, '95 MPI intake, will run '93 OBDI MPI, built by Duffin Engine Service, SATX.

Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZNlr60GXH5OlKIFrT7P6mg
My Jeep: http://4bangerjp.com/forums/index.php?topic=2783.0
"If the motor car were invented today, there is absolutely no way that any government in the world would let normal members of the public drive one."

Offline FourbangerYJ

• Servicing Squirrels Since 1995®
Re: Is this anyone's rebuilt 2.5L?
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2011, 06:10:44 PM »
I wish.
Needs to port the TB intake.
Scott~

Using tools you have not used in a while is like shaking hands with old friends. :nod:

Offline dwtaylorpdx

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2011, 07:25:37 PM »
We only deflashed the intake on mine, and I did not pop for the yellow terras. Hopefully a new job comes along and I can fix that... :)

Dave
94 YJ - 2.5 Hesco Cam B&B Ported - AX5 Trans w/Centerforce Dual Friction Clutch - 4" Rough Country Lift W/Skyjacker Shocks - D44 Rear/ARB - D30/ARB - ARB Compressor - Warn M8000 in Custom Bumper - Reunell Rear Bumper - Metalcloak 6" Body Armor Kit - Tuffy Console - 265x85-16 Tires - 2M Radio

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel Blower®
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2011, 08:29:49 PM »
We only deflashed the intake on mine, and I did not pop for the yellow terras. Hopefully a new job comes along and I can fix that... :)

Dave

if you do get them go for the 1.7 as apparently yella terra makes them (might need to order them in but that's what i heard).
'95 YJ, NSG370 6spd / Hurst shifter, Dana 300 + 4:1 Doubler / tri-stick, Custom skid, Super D35 / Auburn LSD / 4.88, 35x12.5x15 BFG KM2, 64mm t/b, 1.7 RollerRockers, MkVIII e-fan, Dual Diaph Booster
Latest: Corbeau BajaRS heated seats :dance: keeping warm the rear end

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2011, 08:42:25 PM »
if you do get them go for the 1.7 as apparently yella terra makes them (might need to order them in but that's what i heard).
Yella Terra does make them and anyone who sells them can order any other ratios.  I talked to them a while back...
Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZNlr60GXH5OlKIFrT7P6mg
My Jeep: http://4bangerjp.com/forums/index.php?topic=2783.0
"If the motor car were invented today, there is absolutely no way that any government in the world would let normal members of the public drive one."

Offline dwtaylorpdx

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2011, 08:59:45 PM »
I've got too much cam to go to 1.7's...  8)

Id come darn close to the pistons if something went wrong. Mine are already cut for valve clearance...

At the time the builder wasn't too keen on the roller rockers due to the price, but the flexible nature of the stock rockers had not been documented as well back then... We didn't find any rocker flex when we degreed the cam. I suspect its an inertia thing with the motor wound up where it starts to matter. We did cut teh spring seats to get the height correct, I suspect not everybody does it and that will abuse the rockers... If you ev er have the valve cover off its good to make sure the coils on the valve spring do not touch each other.

Dave

94 YJ - 2.5 Hesco Cam B&B Ported - AX5 Trans w/Centerforce Dual Friction Clutch - 4" Rough Country Lift W/Skyjacker Shocks - D44 Rear/ARB - D30/ARB - ARB Compressor - Warn M8000 in Custom Bumper - Reunell Rear Bumper - Metalcloak 6" Body Armor Kit - Tuffy Console - 265x85-16 Tires - 2M Radio

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel Blower®
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2011, 10:15:55 PM »

Id come darn close to the pistons if something went wrong. Mine are already cut for valve clearance...

hmm, i tested close to .600 lift and the valves were not touching the piston, but depending how much lift you get with you cam you might need longer valves and higher rate springs.
'95 YJ, NSG370 6spd / Hurst shifter, Dana 300 + 4:1 Doubler / tri-stick, Custom skid, Super D35 / Auburn LSD / 4.88, 35x12.5x15 BFG KM2, 64mm t/b, 1.7 RollerRockers, MkVIII e-fan, Dual Diaph Booster

Offline dwtaylorpdx

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2011, 10:35:05 PM »
I'm running a .470 lift cam, the heads are milled the block is milled and the pistons are small wedge units, I've got about .150 clearance right now... We clayed them before final assembly, I probably could get away with it, but if I ever broke a chain or stuck a valve it would be nasty...

Dave

Offline frhrwa

« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2011, 08:55:32 AM »
great looking 2.5L  wish it were mine, someone told me months ago not to bother trying to boost a 2.5, I wondered about that..  don't know why not, you can get tons of horsepower I guess with a V-8, but you also get all that front end weight..  the 2.5 should be a great building block..  turbo, or supercharged, headers, flow enhancements, and so on..  anyway, that one looks real nice..

chitchc2

« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2011, 11:50:33 AM »
That's What my motor looks like right now only it is actually on the mounts and in the engine bay.
I noticed one user is stating they are running a built motor already.
Do we have any dyno numbers for it?
I'm hoping to get on the dyno this weekend.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2011, 11:52:08 AM by chitchc2 »

Offline jfrabat

• Gargantuan Mango Tree Mechanic®
  • Finally USING the Jeep!
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2011, 06:38:09 AM »
That's What my motor looks like right now only it is actually on the mounts and in the engine bay.
I noticed one user is stating they are running a built motor already.
Do we have any dyno numbers for it?
I'm hoping to get on the dyno this weekend.

I guess that would be YJmechanic, but he's not been on the forum for a while now...  He did not dyno it as far as I know.
'94 YJ 2.5L with 4" RE lift, Superwinch EPi9.0, FoMoCo e-Fan, SD30 and SD35 w/ARB-5.13, 165A alt., 33" BFG KM2 on 15" AR wheels, Sony sound system, Pavement Ends Hardtop, Hydroboost

Offline chardrc

« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2011, 07:40:32 AM »
yj mechanic had his dynoed but didn't have specific numbers, this is what he said.
sorry guys its been awhile again but my life seems to get crazy and then i loose my self in other stuff,  but i always come back to my true passion.  yes it was dynoed a long time ago when the engine was initially installed and was sitting close to 200  hp/tq split.  i have played around a little lately with it and now it should pull well over 200.  and torque should be even higher with my gears going a step lower.  anymore i dont waste time with dyno tuning and such just the butt dyno.  sadly to say i drive it so little anymore i cant tell the differance unless i drive it for a week and then do something.  i am happy with the motor all together and will not dyno it again (the first time it was just messing around with a local car show i was donating my time to,  and they said lets see what it reads and i said i bet youll be surprised)  i think i answered most of youre questions in pm's but if i missed some let me know and hopefully i will get back to you soon as i can

thread: http://4bangerjp.com/forums/index.php/topic,6007.15.html
1990 YJ 4cly, ax5, 2.5 inch BDS lift, 31 MTr\'s,  Powertrax-lockers all around, track-bars removed, boomerang shackles, warn m8000 winch, electric fan. [sold but not forgotten]

2007 jk Rubicon 2dr

chitchc2

« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2011, 07:43:25 AM »
The Hemi and the Supercharged V6 barely broke 200 WHP/TQ

He must be running 16+:1 compression on top fuel or something.

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel Blower®
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2011, 08:12:08 AM »
The Hemi and the Supercharged V6 barely broke 200 WHP/TQ

He must be running 16+:1 compression on top fuel or something.
he said it was 200 at the crank but even so i don't think his numbers were very accurate.

Yella Terra

« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2011, 07:54:22 PM »
Hi Guys,

We have the following JEEP rockers for the 2.5

1.6 Hydraulic
1.7 Hydraulic

Jim
Yella Terra

At the time the builder wasn't too keen on the roller rockers due to the price, but the flexible nature of the stock rockers had not been documented as well back then... We didn't find any rocker flex when we degreed the cam. I suspect its an inertia thing with the motor wound up where it starts to matter. We did cut teh spring seats to get the height correct, I suspect not everybody does it and that will abuse the rockers... If you ev er have the valve cover off its good to make sure the coils on the valve spring do not touch each other.

Dave