Author Topic: Window tinting help  (Read 1591 times)

Nicks92jeeper

Window tinting help
« on: October 01, 2011, 04:58:18 AM »
So I am tinting the windows in my jeep and it was turning out pretty well. A couple questions I have. Can the windows be taken out of the hard top to make it easier easily or are they a pain to remove? I did one window without too many problems and it looked good but. I was doing it at 20% for the back windows and front windows and that allows a buffer for state law for front and back. Is this going to be too light or too dark? Also I only had one window done before I ripped it off thinking it might not be dark enough but will it not show the proper tinting with only one window tinted or do you have to tint all the windows to get the full benefits? 

SDWE61988

Re: Window tinting help
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2011, 07:00:09 AM »
I had my hardtop tinted in 20% tint and the doors in 35%( we have similar laws in the cummunist state of MD)  It is very dark at night.  I am not sure I would go any darker, IMO. 

Nicks92jeeper

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2011, 07:13:21 PM »
In Iowa we can have whatever on the back windows and can't go past 30% on the door windows. No tint on the windshield obviously. I am putting 20% on all the way around minus windshield because I really didn't want to deal with cops thinking I am not legit. Think that will be too dark?

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel BlowerŪ
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2011, 07:37:02 PM »
in BC no tinting at all on the door windows and windshield.
'95 YJ, NSG370 6spd / Hurst shifter, Dana 300 + 4:1 Doubler / tri-stick, Custom skid, Super D35 / Auburn LSD / 4.88, 35x12.5x15 BFG KM2, 64mm t/b, 1.7 RollerRockers, MkVIII e-fan, Dual Diaph Booster
Latest: Corbeau BajaRS heated seats :dance: keeping warm the rear end

JohnnyO

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2011, 09:39:15 AM »
I think it would be more work than it's worth to pull the windows out of the hardtop.  When I tint a window with a frame I just make a pattern out of newspaper first.

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel BlowerŪ
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2011, 09:56:14 AM »
i don't have a hardtop so i don't know really but aren't those glued on?
'95 YJ, NSG370 6spd / Hurst shifter, Dana 300 + 4:1 Doubler / tri-stick, Custom skid, Super D35 / Auburn LSD / 4.88, 35x12.5x15 BFG KM2, 64mm t/b, 1.7 RollerRockers, MkVIII e-fan, Dual Diaph Booster
Latest: Corbeau BajaRS heated seats :dance: keeping warm the rear end

Offline neale_rs

« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2011, 10:46:04 AM »
Yes they are.  I don't think it would be worth the trouble to try removing them.
'95 YJ, 33 x 12.5 mud tires, RE 4.5 ED lift, Atlas 4 speed, rear D44, ARBs front and rear, 4.56 gears, 8000# winch

SDWE61988

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2011, 06:30:12 AM »
I had mine done at a local dealer, and they did not pull the windows.  I think pulling the windows is making more work for yourself and then you are running the risk of them leaking after they are reinstalled.  Do you have a place to set the hard top down if you pull it off to do the windows?  That is what I would consider.

Nicks92jeeper

« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2011, 03:34:26 PM »
I was just trying to find the easiest way to do the tinting. What I tried before was cutting the tint to size and without a garage it is a pain because of the wind. Closing all the windows and doors makes it too hot and doing it in the cold will make it not stick right. I guess I will beg a friend to use their garage.

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2011, 04:04:35 PM »
Well, my current top had OEM tint.  I think it's 20-25% which is prefect.  I've had 35% front and 5% rear and it sucked.  It looked nice but was way too dark.  If it was night you couldn't see what was behind you very well at all.  If it happened to be raining then you're SOL.  You really don't need that much tint to block the UV that heats up the interior.  I had someone install my tint  Came out nice and wasn't too expensive.

The only thing to watch out for is if you have sliding windows on the front.  The tint will get scratched up when you're sliding the window open and closed since the seal between the two glass panels is usually a brush.
Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZNlr60GXH5OlKIFrT7P6mg
My Jeep: http://4bangerjp.com/forums/index.php?topic=2783.0
"If the motor car were invented today, there is absolutely no way that any government in the world would let normal members of the public drive one."

JohnnyO

« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2011, 11:29:21 AM »
There are some tinting tips here:

http://www.tintdude.com/