Author Topic: How often to change the distributor cap and rotor?  (Read 4234 times)

Nicks92jeeper

How often to change the distributor cap and rotor?
« on: October 21, 2011, 04:57:48 AM »
So I drove a stock 94 2.5L a few days ago. Started talking to the owner in a McDonalds parking lot and after a bit of conversation he let me take they keys and we went for a ride. HOLY CRAP was it under powered!!! I asked him when the last time he did a full tune up and he stated the plugs and wires were changed two years ago and then stated that he has never changed the distributor cap and rotor. I think I change mine about every year to two years. How often do most people change them and with changing something like this he can expect to get a lot better performance right? I am thinking that the rotor and cap are literally burned out and that is why it barely had anything to it.

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel BlowerŪ
Re: How often to change the distributor cap and rotor?
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2011, 07:28:52 AM »
i do it every 2 or 3 years but doesn't mean it's necessary but just preventive (i replace the wires while at it too) - in his case it's most likely a must at this point

if he doesn't get misfires i doubt is going to be night and day unless it's running in 3 cylinders

another thing could be low fuel pressure (he might not have replaced the fuel filter ever either).
'95 YJ, NSG370 6spd / Hurst shifter, Dana 300 + 4:1 Doubler / tri-stick, Custom skid, Super D35 / Auburn LSD / 4.88, 35x12.5x15 BFG KM2, 64mm t/b, 1.7 RollerRockers, MkVIII e-fan, Dual Diaph Booster
Latest: Corbeau BajaRS heated seats :dance: keeping warm the rear end

Nicks92jeeper

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2011, 08:01:37 AM »
He said he replaced the fuel filter once but I figured it would need it again. I figured the little metal part on the rotor was warn down to pry a nub! Might see how bad the throttle is and also see if I can talk him into buying a 4.0 throttle body. I wanted to pick one up for myself to play with. When I replaced the cap and rotor on my Honda I noticed a huge difference because I doubt it had ever been changed. Didn't really notice any change to my jeep.

Offline chardrc

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2011, 08:11:54 AM »
usually i only change cap and rotor regularly (every 1 to 2 years) if its a rig that will see water off road as the caps seem to get porous and get water in them easier as they get old. otherwise its probably ounce every 5 years for my daily driver. i did see a huge improvement when i changed my cap, rotor, plugs, and wires on my jeep.. but that was more because the previous owner had the wrong plugs in it... :yuno:
1990 YJ 4cly, ax5, 2.5 inch BDS lift, 31 MTr\'s,  Powertrax-lockers all around, track-bars removed, boomerang shackles, warn m8000 winch, electric fan. [sold but not forgotten]

2007 jk Rubicon 2dr

Offline neale_rs

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2011, 08:29:20 AM »
Mine has been in for about 5 years now with no changes in performance, but I only put about 1200 miles on it per year.
'95 YJ, 33 x 12.5 mud tires, RE 4.5 ED lift, Atlas 4 speed, rear D44, ARBs front and rear, 4.56 gears, 8000# winch

JohnnyO

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2011, 08:52:09 AM »
When my cars routinely HAD distributors I would change the cap and rotor every two years and the plugs every year (before the advent of platinum plugs and EFI).  I have replaced them on the Jeep and will do the cap and rotor every two years.  It's getting hard to find them with brass fittings though.

Torch_Ind

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2011, 08:22:33 PM »
I do it yearly but I see lots of cold winter starts and short runs to work.

I change the distributor cap and rotor more often  then plugs and wires

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2011, 09:27:01 PM »
Hmm, I've changed mine a total of one time.  The old OEM cap was plastic with aluminum terminals.  The aluminum corroded a bit over time.  Plastics don't crack as easily like they used to in the 60's, 70's and 80's.  I was given a new cap and rotor from Performance Distributor when I helped them with the 2.5L kit.  Haven't had any problems with it.  I'm using better wires with better contacts so the wires aren't breaking down like in the old days either.

My OEM cap had aluminum contacts that were a bit eroded but still worked.  The new ones are brass which are a lot better.
Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZNlr60GXH5OlKIFrT7P6mg
My Jeep: http://4bangerjp.com/forums/index.php?topic=2783.0
"If the motor car were invented today, there is absolutely no way that any government in the world would let normal members of the public drive one."

Offline neale_rs

« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2011, 08:33:28 AM »
If you replace it every year or so, getting them with brass fittings might be a waste of money.  It's better to leave it in there longer to get the benefit.
'95 YJ, 33 x 12.5 mud tires, RE 4.5 ED lift, Atlas 4 speed, rear D44, ARBs front and rear, 4.56 gears, 8000# winch

Torch_Ind

« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2011, 04:33:57 PM »
If you replace it every year or so, getting them with brass fittings might be a waste of money.  It's better to leave it in there longer to get the benefit.

I think you put two posts together. mine are just stock parts store ones. they only cost a few bucks. 

if you have a performance one made for longer life that's different like Jeffy has.  Keep in mind some race parts aren't build for long lasting life. there to get more power but may burn out quicker for some stuff. but not all is like that.