Author Topic: Brake Pads  (Read 1249 times)

Offline 95 Lowbuck

Brake Pads
« on: November 24, 2011, 09:54:10 AM »
I just bought some centrics brake pads and I'm not happy.
Did a brake job on the front with new OEM rotors and pads
and did not have good results.
I have read about the booster and master cylinder change
and I'm not interested. Just want to stay stock.
I'm only running 33" tires on a fairly light jeep, so I'm
just looking for a little improvement over stock. (thought thats what I bought)
From posts that I've read, EBC Yellow or Green might be the next option.
Don't care about dust or wear, not a daily driver,
just want something that works.
Any suggestions?
1995 YJ RioGrand, 2.5, AX5, 231 T.C., A.A. SYE,
D30, XJ D44, Truetracs F+R, CV D.S. F+R, 4.88's
R.E. 4" STD., 33-10.50 BFG KO2's on stock rims.

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel BlowerŪ
Re: Brake Pads
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2011, 09:59:02 AM »
i ordered Bendix TitaniuMetallicII brake pads, they are semi-metallic pads and have a break-in coating, the semi-metallic stop better than ceramic, the latter needs to get up to temp for optimal stopping power. Didn't receive them yet but that's what i read in my research and that was the reason for my choice.
'95 YJ, NSG370 6spd / Hurst shifter, Dana 300 + 4:1 Doubler / tri-stick, Custom skid, Super D35 / Auburn LSD / 4.88, 35x12.5x15 BFG KM2, 64mm t/b, 1.7 RollerRockers, MkVIII e-fan, Dual Diaph Booster
Latest: Corbeau BajaRS heated seats :dance: keeping warm the rear end

Offline neale_rs

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2011, 10:14:17 AM »
I have struggled with finding brake pads that stop LESS well on the rear D44, otherwise I get lockup in the rear.  What I have found is that low cost brake pads brake better and I have to get the more expensive semi-metallic to avoid the lockup.  When I first got the rear D44 it had asbestos pads (here in Mexico) and they stop very well but I doubt you could get some in the US.
'95 YJ, 33 x 12.5 mud tires, RE 4.5 ED lift, Atlas 4 speed, rear D44, ARBs front and rear, 4.56 gears, 8000# winch

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel BlowerŪ
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2011, 10:50:50 AM »
I have struggled with finding brake pads that stop LESS well on the rear D44, otherwise I get lockup in the rear.  What I have found is that low cost brake pads brake better and I have to get the more expensive semi-metallic to avoid the lockup.  When I first got the rear D44 it had asbestos pads (here in Mexico) and they stop very well but I doubt you could get some in the US.

you need a different proportioning valve or an adjustable one - the stock valve is meant for brake drums (EDIT: please read drum brakes :lol:)
« Last Edit: November 24, 2011, 11:31:37 AM by sharpxmen »
'95 YJ, NSG370 6spd / Hurst shifter, Dana 300 + 4:1 Doubler / tri-stick, Custom skid, Super D35 / Auburn LSD / 4.88, 35x12.5x15 BFG KM2, 64mm t/b, 1.7 RollerRockers, MkVIII e-fan, Dual Diaph Booster
Latest: Corbeau BajaRS heated seats :dance: keeping warm the rear end

Offline neale_rs

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2011, 01:39:14 PM »
you need a different proportioning valve or an adjustable one - the stock valve is meant for brake drums (EDIT: please read drum brakes :lol:)

Thanks, I've looked into that but it has worked out well just getting the right pads or rather shoes (my YJ has drum brakes in the D44).
'95 YJ, 33 x 12.5 mud tires, RE 4.5 ED lift, Atlas 4 speed, rear D44, ARBs front and rear, 4.56 gears, 8000# winch

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2011, 02:34:22 PM »
I just bought some centrics brake pads and I'm not happy.
Did a brake job on the front with new OEM rotors and pads
and did not have good results.
I have read about the booster and master cylinder change
and I'm not interested. Just want to stay stock.
I'm only running 33" tires on a fairly light jeep, so I'm
just looking for a little improvement over stock. (thought thats what I bought)
From posts that I've read, EBC Yellow or Green might be the next option.
Don't care about dust or wear, not a daily driver,
just want something that works.
Any suggestions?
I'm using Hawk Brake pads.  They make a bit of dust but are a nice improvement over OEM.  I'd rather have good braking then cleaner wheels.
Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZNlr60GXH5OlKIFrT7P6mg
My Jeep: http://4bangerjp.com/forums/index.php?topic=2783.0
"If the motor car were invented today, there is absolutely no way that any government in the world would let normal members of the public drive one."

Offline neale_rs

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2011, 04:10:33 PM »
Check out this link:  http://www.bestbrakepads.net/  Just look for some with a high friction grade.

Torch_Ind

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2011, 04:57:54 PM »
I put new drums on the rear and make sure your rear drums are nice and tight "adjusted up properly" that can make your brake peddle much harder and provide quicker stops.

worn drums can cause poor braking!!

I run 35's and haven't had any problems as long as the parts are in good condition.

Offline chrisfranklin

• 4BangerJP.comŪ Donator
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2011, 07:55:14 PM »
The performance friction, then hawk pads on the front end of a V8 sedan I had seemed to work pretty well. 

The front end on my 4Banger has EBC yellowstuff pads and EBC rotors and it brakes pretty hard.  Steel brake lines, Dot4 Synth. brake fluid and fairly sticky 31 MTs probably help things along, though.  I'd probably run the same setup on 33 MTs.   
'94 YJ S 5spd, Borla Exhaust, CarSound Cat., PS Ceramic-coated Headers, Airraid intake, 62mm TB, Intake Manifold bored/ceramic-coated, 19lb injectors, Sharp's Adj. FPR, MeanGreen Starter, D30 Aussie locker, 31" Destination MTs, Warn XD9000, Cibie headlights, armor