Author Topic: Found Engine Oil in my Cold Air Intake Tube  (Read 3374 times)

Offline stan98tj

• Empty Wallet Wheeling Since 2007®
  • Wheeling New England
Found Engine Oil in my Cold Air Intake Tube
« on: January 04, 2012, 02:03:41 PM »
I run an AEM cold air intake unit and went to clean the filter ( i havent done so in a while ) and i noticed a pool of engine oil at the mouth of the tube and a line of it leading back. I didnt have the time to pull the whole thing off or check the throttle body but I have noticed my oil level decreasing ever so slowly for a while, but i chalked it up as a seal leak. I had the oil pan, and front main seal redone and didnt find any oil puddles on the ground. DOes anyone know what this could mean, having found engine oil all the way in the tip of the filter?
98 TJ 35"Maxxis Trep.Old Man Emu 2.5""+1"BL,IronMan Fab control arms,4.56gears,Ford 8.8+ARB,Currie/IronMan steering, WARN VR10,HP D30 sleeved+ RCV,Body Armor Rock Rails WISHLIST:TDi.Girlfriend hates it :) If you can read this don't flip me over i dont have any $$ left to fix it

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel Blower®
Re: Found Engine Oil in my Cold Air Intake Tube
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2012, 02:10:54 PM »
I run an AEM cold air intake unit and went to clean the filter ( i havent done so in a while ) and i noticed a pool of engine oil at the mouth of the tube and a line of it leading back. I didnt have the time to pull the whole thing off or check the throttle body but I have noticed my oil level decreasing ever so slowly for a while, but i chalked it up as a seal leak. I had the oil pan, and front main seal redone and didnt find any oil puddles on the ground. DOes anyone know what this could mean, having found engine oil all the way in the tip of the filter?

check the small brass fitting at the valve cover and the line going to the intake manifold - make sure they're not plugged.
'95 YJ, NSG370 6spd / Hurst shifter, Dana 300 + 4:1 Doubler / tri-stick, Custom skid, Super D35 / Auburn LSD / 4.88, 35x12.5x15 BFG KM2, 64mm t/b, 1.7 RollerRockers, MkVIII e-fan, Dual Diaph Booster
Latest: Corbeau BajaRS heated seats :dance: keeping warm the rear end

Offline aka-justin

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2012, 04:23:26 PM »

PCV Valve stuck open?
[1995 YJ 2.5L with 4" lift on 31" KM2 - Sold] 1995yj
[2003 TJ Rubicon 4.0L with 4" lift on 35" Wrangler M/T - Sold]
To be continued...
--Justin

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2012, 04:51:29 PM »
PCV Valve stuck open?
There is none.  The Jeep will have a CCV, which is the brass fitting on the side of the valve cover and a Fresh Air Ventilation on top at the back of the valve cover.  Both are open and have no valves inside.

Overtime, you might see some oil at the Fresh Air Vent in the airbox, or in this case intake tube..  This happens when you park and oil vaport migrate up the tube.  When the engine is running it should be drawing air into the valve cover.  If the CCV is clogged, you may see a little more oil collecting at the intake tube.

Some oil is normal.  A lot would be enough to soak the filter.  If your CCV is fine and you don't think it's excessive blowback, then you can add an oil catch can on the fresh air ventilation hose.
Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZNlr60GXH5OlKIFrT7P6mg
My Jeep: http://4bangerjp.com/forums/index.php?topic=2783.0
"If the motor car were invented today, there is absolutely no way that any government in the world would let normal members of the public drive one."

Offline stan98tj

• Empty Wallet Wheeling Since 2007®
  • Wheeling New England
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2012, 04:58:59 PM »
There is none.  The Jeep will have a CCV, which is the brass fitting on the side of the valve cover and a Fresh Air Ventilation on top at the back of the valve cover.  Both are open and have no valves inside.

Overtime, you might see some oil at the Fresh Air Vent in the airbox, or in this case intake tube..  This happens when you park and oil vaport migrate up the tube.  When the engine is running it should be drawing air into the valve cover.  If the CCV is clogged, you may see a little more oil collecting at the intake tube.

Some oil is normal.  A lot would be enough to soak the filter.  If your CCV is fine and you don't think it's excessive blowback, then you can add an oil catch can on the fresh air ventilation hose.
Ok, it's not coating the air filter, just pooled a bit at the lip of the tube. I never noticed that before so I became concerned. Thought perhaps i had a crack somewhere and it was seeping through. I do NOT want to be doing an engine swap right now HAHA!
98 TJ 35"Maxxis Trep.Old Man Emu 2.5""+1"BL,IronMan Fab control arms,4.56gears,Ford 8.8+ARB,Currie/IronMan steering, WARN VR10,HP D30 sleeved+ RCV,Body Armor Rock Rails WISHLIST:TDi.Girlfriend hates it :) If you can read this don't flip me over i dont have any $$ left to fix it