Author Topic: sound bar  (Read 2676 times)

Offline chardrc

sound bar
« on: January 19, 2007, 04:13:54 PM »
ok so I'm finally getting around to putting a radio in my jeep... but i have no speakers. so I've been thinking about getting one of those sound bar things that mount on your roll bar. my question is is you can use them on a 1990 yj with the different roll bar. aka if you can mount it so it is over your head without you hitting it when you are driving.

ammy radio/ audio suggestions will be appreciated.
1990 YJ 4cly, ax5, 2.5 inch BDS lift, 31 MTr\'s,  Powertrax-lockers all around, track-bars removed, boomerang shackles, warn m8000 winch, electric fan. [sold but not forgotten]

2007 jk Rubicon 2dr

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
sound bar
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2007, 04:45:12 PM »
You'll need a sound bar for a YJ.  YJ's were the first Jeeps to come with soundbars.  although if you have woodworking skills you could make a better box yourself.

Personally, unless you have a hardtop or do a stealth install, I'd go cheap.  You won't get the best sound out of the Jeep anyway.  Stock speaker location is very difficult to get to which means, they won't be walking off like a sound bar.  If I was going to redo my dash speakers, I'd try to mount some 5.25" or maybe 6.5" speakers back there instead of the 4x6's.  The 4x6's aren't the greatest even if they are 2-Way.  Jeeps too small to even bother with rear-fill speakers.  At least for my taste.  So, I don't have any.

Interesting to see the rigrater as your sig.  I helped work on the rig rater with a few other people.  2.5L's have a real handtcap on that rater.  No matter how big it is, it will usually score anywhere from 200-300 points less then a 4.0L.  (no, I did not work on the engines.)
Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZNlr60GXH5OlKIFrT7P6mg
My Jeep: http://4bangerjp.com/forums/index.php?topic=2783.0
"If the motor car were invented today, there is absolutely no way that any government in the world would let normal members of the public drive one."

Offline chardrc

sound bar
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2007, 05:03:53 PM »
aw so you just have the 2 in dash speakers... that may be better.. but my original ons are gone so ill still have to buy new ones... any suggestions of descent quality sound for a fairly cheep price(speaker).. not looking for great sound just something different form my motor and exhaust sound.

and about the rig rater.. i wasn't sure about my trans and transfer case gear ratios so those could be off a bit but otherwise its what i got.

not to get way off topic.. but do you have to take off the skid plate. crosmember for that covers / supports the trany and t case to replace the trany mount?
1990 YJ 4cly, ax5, 2.5 inch BDS lift, 31 MTr\'s,  Powertrax-lockers all around, track-bars removed, boomerang shackles, warn m8000 winch, electric fan. [sold but not forgotten]

2007 jk Rubicon 2dr

lanulos89

sound bar
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2007, 05:13:33 PM »
yea the skid plate has to come off, its fairly simple to do anyway, just support the tail shaft of the tcase, and remove the 3/4's bolts, take off the nuts, and for the one bolt, you will have to get a wrench on the nut on top and hold it while you crank off the other bolt.  That sounds ocnfusing but once your under the jeep actually doing the job, you will be like oh so thats what he meant.

as for the sound bars, i have a 6 speaker on, replaced the speakers in my dash, and put diff woofers in my soundbar.  added a set of tweeters to the front, and put a 10' sub in the trunk, i am very pleased with my sound system.

Offline chardrc

sound bar
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2007, 05:58:26 PM »
if i had that much of a sound system i don't think it would last long since i only have a soft top and my jeep spends most of its time in my side yard... and i usualy dotn botherlocking it.

only security it has is that i can see it from my room so if i hear anything at night i can see if my jeep is ok or not.

for the trany mount that actually makes since to me... helps that ive had the new mount in my garage for about a year without installing it.

2007 jk Rubicon 2dr

chrisfranklin

sound bar
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2007, 01:24:52 AM »
Other posts here have talked about a Jeep soundbar that holds just two 6x9 speakers.  That's someting I could go for - see if one ever comes on Ebay, cause the company that makes those bars has apparently stopped producing them.

I use the Polk/Momo type 4x6 speakers in he dash (that was as good a make as 4x6s came in via Crutchfield.com).  Your receiver isn't going to be able to power more than two speakers fully, unless you are using an amp.  But, I get pretty great sound through these alone - lows aren't exactly prominent but the speakers overall are decent like most reviews say.

lanulos89

sound bar
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2007, 06:55:45 AM »
yea i kno i got a lot of sound stuff, but i drive it everyday, and i live in a town where nothing happens, and trust me all my stuff is secure, it would take way too much work to get it out.  Now too much stuff or sound, my brother has a 95 sonoma with a soa and he put like 3 k into his sound system, thats a little ridiculous,  i maybe have  800 bucks into my jeep in that area

Offline chardrc

sound bar
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2007, 04:09:10 PM »
what do you guy think about this sound bar

http://www.quadratec.com/products/14119_00_07.htm

just had my birthday party so i have some money to spend on my jeep

2007 jk Rubicon 2dr

Offline chardrc

sound bar
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2007, 05:12:00 PM »
anyone have any advice on which one to get.. im not too worried about it getting stolen. i just sent a link to that sound bar cuz it looks like it work and it costs as much as i have. ( i could spend more but id have to take it out of the bank  :uhoh: )

2007 jk Rubicon 2dr

lanulos89

sound bar
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2007, 05:33:07 PM »
the one you posted looks fine, 6" will carry bass nicely and the front speakers will do good for highs.

Offline chardrc

sound bar
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2007, 05:45:06 PM »
only problem is i don't have front speakers.. but i can get a pair from best buy for $51

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=7675919&type=product&productCategoryId=cat03078&id=1134703372454

but ill probably get the sound bar now and posably the dash speakers later. im tempted to get the 6 speaker version sound bar but the more i think about it the more i think i should save my money and put it into more the mechanical needs of my jeep.

http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/Product/tf-Browse/s-10101/Pr-p_Product.CATENTRY_ID:2001321/p-2001321/N-111+10208+600004687/c-10108

2007 jk Rubicon 2dr

lanulos89

sound bar
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2007, 06:42:17 PM »
i have those exact front speakers goto walmart they are cheaper, and that sound bar is a clone of the exact one i have so, its a good choice,  i swapped out my woofers with a pair of rockford ones my brother had lying around, but the stock speakers where still good.  my jeeps system sounds amazing for a jeep but i also spent like 700 bucks one it lol wow what a waste huh?

last picture is a 10" pioneer shallow mount sub

gomi

sound bar
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2007, 09:21:51 PM »
I think you can find the sound pods on ebay for around $76-$100 on ebay. They are similar to the pods used in the newer tj's. I almost bought some myself, and I have seen a yj with them, you just mount the in front of the roll bar I think, but I am certain it's do able.