Author Topic: SOA vs. Leaf Spring Lift?  (Read 1453 times)

metal_kid17

SOA vs. Leaf Spring Lift?
« on: January 29, 2007, 08:08:11 PM »
Right now i have a 2 in. shackle suspension lift and its just not fulfilling my wants, haha. I've been trying to decide what i want to do to it exactly. Would I be better off to just do the SOA conversion and possibly new 2 in. lift springs or should i just go with the 4'' reg. suspension lift? And if I do go with the SOA, is there big disadvantages with the Bolt On vs. the Welded? Any input would be great. Thanks.

lanulos89

« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2007, 09:45:11 PM »
unles you have welding skills i'd go with a regular sua lift, with the soa you have to worry about axle wrap, and steering linkage, you'd have to do a sye kit, and diff brake lines and much much more.  if you got a 4" kit you wouldn't have to do a sye, tho you shld, but the kit would come with everything you need rather than pieceing it together.  and you wouldnt have to worry about axle wrap at all.   soa's are cool and all but there a pain in the a$$.

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2007, 09:48:38 PM »
Well, do you really want 7.5" if lift? or do you want 4".  What size tires are you looking to use?  33's will look awfully strange with 7.5" lift.  That's enough to clear 37's.

Bolt-on vs. weld.  Big difference  You end up with a lot more parts hanged under the axles.  Welding cleans this all up and give you more clearance.  Not to mention being able to set you pinion angles.

I recommend figuring out what tires you want to run first.  Consider gearing and axle strength.  If you're going to run >35's then you'll want to consider upgrading the axles.  Also take into account how much work and money will be involved.  Once you go over 4" you're usually looking at getting a SYE.  You'll want sway-bar disconnects.  You'll need to figure out how to do the steering, especially with a SOA.  If you stick with stock leafs you can get away with a dropped pitman arm but you'll have bumpsteer.  That's the trade off.  To fix it will involve a lot more work.

Lots of things to consider here...
Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZNlr60GXH5OlKIFrT7P6mg
My Jeep: http://4bangerjp.com/forums/index.php?topic=2783.0
"If the motor car were invented today, there is absolutely no way that any government in the world would let normal members of the public drive one."

metal_kid17

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2007, 01:26:18 PM »
I have been looking around at some stuff. I def. want to run at least 33's. Id actually rather not get too much bigger that way i can still salvage SOME gas milage. I think I might just go with the RE 4'' and leave my 1'' shackles on. That way when I do go to change the axles it wont be too big of a pain. I live in Ohio so for the most part its just going to be goin muddin'. Id still like to have the ability to hit some rough trails as well though. Would there be any objection to the Rubicon lift? I have heard that they retain a pretty smooth ride on road and off as well. If anyone knows anything better please do tell. Im open to any advice. I just want to get the best lift possible. Thanks again.

might4banger

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2007, 05:59:28 PM »
I am running the RE 4" std lift and a 1" body lift with 35's...

The RE 4" std is huge... I got 6" of lift out of it.

Howdy! - I am also in Ohio... just NE of Cincinnati.

dunklervogel

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2007, 01:40:10 AM »
Well hi to you fellow Ohioans..  Just an hour south of Cbus here.
Don't have much to add to the thread tho considering I'm a TJ owner.  Lifts sound like a lot more of a PITA for the CJ and YJ crowd.

damon54

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2007, 10:48:43 AM »
I have been considering the soa lift for a while myself for my 92 YJ.  I am wondering what kind of difference it makes in daily driving ride quality?  I already have a 1.5 lift over stock and plan on running 33's.  The soa gives about 4 inches does'nt it?  Would that be too much with the current lift for 33's.

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2007, 11:45:37 AM »
Quote from: "damon54"
I have been considering the soa lift for a while myself for my 92 YJ.  I am wondering what kind of difference it makes in daily driving ride quality?  I already have a 1.5 lift over stock and plan on running 33's.  The soa gives about 4 inches does'nt it?  Would that be too much with the current lift for 33's.

A SOA will usually give you 5.5".  You will also have to deal with the rear tailcone slip yoke.

A SOA rides much better then any other lift.  It's as good as or better then stock since stock had the track bars on still.
Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZNlr60GXH5OlKIFrT7P6mg
My Jeep: http://4bangerjp.com/forums/index.php?topic=2783.0
"If the motor car were invented today, there is absolutely no way that any government in the world would let normal members of the public drive one."

damon54

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2007, 07:30:58 PM »
With the current lift that would make 7".  Look a little strange with 33's don't you think?