Author Topic: power steering pump  (Read 939 times)

tttppp54

power steering pump
« on: May 27, 2007, 07:39:16 PM »
is replacing the power steering pump easy? would anyone recommending to ugrade to an agr pump or just replace with stock?

Offline chardrc

Re: power steering pump
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2007, 08:40:30 PM »
what year.. being a 4banger in a 6 cylinder engine compartment there is a lot of extra room to work on it. the biggest thing is having a pulley puller to get the pulley off the pump. otherwise its pretty easy.
1990 YJ 4cly, ax5, 2.5 inch BDS lift, 31 MTr\'s,  Powertrax-lockers all around, track-bars removed, boomerang shackles, warn m8000 winch, electric fan. [sold but not forgotten]

2007 jk Rubicon 2dr

Offline Elyod

• Sedona is red
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2007, 11:42:45 PM »
Why are you looking at replacing it? I am thinking of buying a high performance pump because i am buying a hydraulic winch (ya, I made up my mind between electric and hydraulic) and i want to be confident in the setup. 

Offline dexetr30

• 4BangerJP.com® Donator
  • Aloha Mr. Hand!
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2007, 10:04:49 AM »
Easy job. Just have a puller as suggested by chardrc. If your Jeep is fairly stock I'd go with the stock pump.
02 2.5.L automatic: 4.0L t.b., 4.0l air intake, K&N filter, Scream'n Demon coil, 8.5mm MSD Super Conductor plug wires, Stage 1 Jet Chip, 29" BFG all terrain KO's. Taurus E-fan, Hummer front bumper, Skyjacker high capacity trans pan, 48" hi-lift, Rubi susp w. 3/4" BB.

tttppp54

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2007, 11:56:03 AM »
the reaso n for replacing is because the current one is going bad and leaking. i have 35's so i might just go ahead and get the agr and maybe eventually get the agr steering box too.

Offline Mozman68

• Poseur Extraordinaire®
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2007, 03:23:31 PM »
I have an AGR SuperBox II sitting in the garage waiting to go on....but I was just going to use the original pump.  I may not put it on now until the new axles and wheels go on though....guess I can decide then.
2009 Audi S5....what....its 4wd...sort of....

jcsanders79

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2007, 08:44:24 PM »
I don't have any experience with the AGR products but have heard a lot of negative coments about them.  There are a few guys running a Dodge durango or dakata power steering pump instead.

Offline oldjeep

• www.Oldjeep.com
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2007, 06:09:51 AM »
AGR boxes are craptastic.  Nothing but a poor rebuild on a stock pump, nothing to justify the money they charge for them.   I'm running a stock YJ pump with 35's and it works fine, but if you want an actual upgrade check out http://www.pscmotorsports.com   
Chuck P
The clowns'? Oh, yeah, the clowns. We fight them too — entire armies, spilling out of Volkswagons. We do our best to fight them off, but they keep sending 'em in!
94 YJ - gone
98 ZJ - sons truck
97 TJ - daughters project

www.oldjeep.com

jcsanders79

« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2007, 08:08:08 AM »
I don't have any experience with the AGR products but have heard a lot of negative coments about them.  There are a few guys running a Dodge durango or dakata power steering pump instead.

Crap, I meant to say box not pump.