Author Topic: Windsheild Frame  (Read 978 times)

Oilsmoke

Windsheild Frame
« on: July 05, 2007, 12:46:02 PM »
How Does water get into a YJ windshield frame?  I get a leak right over my Stereo when we get heavy rain. Once it shorted out my Pioneer Cd player. Did a few caulking jobs with black urethane but it still leaks on heavy rain days.

Tips or tricks welcome  :puzzled:

Jesse-James

Re: Windsheild Frame
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2007, 01:40:40 PM »
It's almost definitely the cowl seal....

Offline chardrc

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2007, 02:13:18 PM »
what jesse said.. mine was bad when i got mine and it fried the radio.... not to mention the rusty dash i now have.
1990 YJ 4cly, ax5, 2.5 inch BDS lift, 31 MTr\'s,  Powertrax-lockers all around, track-bars removed, boomerang shackles, warn m8000 winch, electric fan. [sold but not forgotten]

2007 jk Rubicon 2dr

jeepheap

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2007, 04:20:21 PM »
the guy whp had mine before me used clear silicone which now looks like snot on my cowl.

Oilsmoke

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2007, 04:38:29 PM »
That's One of the areas I sealed with some good black urethane .  OK I'll get a new one. Is there any other areas that need more attention? I sealed  the channel & screws that hold down the soft top. And did a some in the rubber windsheild gasket lower lip across the glass.

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2007, 01:05:18 AM »
That's One of the areas I sealed with some good black urethane .  OK I'll get a new one. Is there any other areas that need more attention? I sealed  the channel & screws that hold down the soft top. And did a some in the rubber windsheild gasket lower lip across the glass.

Yes, the bottom of the cowl, directly below the cowl seal.  This is where the body turns up to crease the area under the windshield frame.  This is where my Jeep leaked and it would puddle on floorboards.

Although for the cowl, I dropped the windshield and used silicone to seal the instrument panel to the body it's sealed.  if your cowl seal is old it will more then likely act like a sponge then a seal.  Since the instrument panel isn't normally painted it usually rusts bad under the cowl seal.
Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZNlr60GXH5OlKIFrT7P6mg
My Jeep: http://4bangerjp.com/forums/index.php?topic=2783.0
"If the motor car were invented today, there is absolutely no way that any government in the world would let normal members of the public drive one."