Author Topic: Jag's Rocker Skids  (Read 1588 times)

Offline jagular7

Jag's Rocker Skids
« on: August 13, 2009, 01:50:04 PM »
After my little tumble, I popped 3 middle body mounts from the body floor support.

This is the nutsert for the body mount. This is attached to a plate that is similarly shaped like the base of the floor support plate.

Body mounts removed.
Driver's side

Passenger side

With the rocker rust, I wanted a rocker skid with tubing to be used as a step and a push bar against obstacles. It probably would have been less time if I started off with an aftermarket set, extended the skid underneath to help remove and relocate the body mounts. But alas, I've had some 1/4" plate that was bent with a brake for several years in my garage. I had to add a 5" 3/16 panel to help extend it to the door. The tubing is 1.75" and don't remember the wall thickness.

Didn't do much to the rusting in the rocker other than cut away the real bad stuff, treated what was left. Relocated a body mount to the most rear point of the floor support and as high I could get it using the stock rubber body mounts.

Rocker skids have a 45* angle to them on the bend. They fit flush with the front portion of the floor support plate and have spacers to secure to the floor support in other locations. The rocker skid basically acts as the floor support panel as well as the rocker plate.

Finished and installed. I also installed rear Rubicon flares. I haven't installed the front ones yet.

The tubing sets 5" off the rocker to provide more protection offcamber as well as being near even with the flare.

Oh, lastly to add, my side panel has some many waves to it, the rocker skid is not flush. I thought of adding silicon to help seal between them, but that would only be for the top. Since the rocker skid cover's a lot of other sheetmetal with a lot of different shapes, there will really be no way for me to maintain a good seal between the rocker skid and the body panels of the Jeep. I thought of doing just the side panel, but didn't think of it in time. I may still add some sealant to fill the gaps between the side panel and rocker skid.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2009, 02:05:54 PM by jagular7 »
Jagular7
97 SE - Rubbered and locked for fun
94 SE - stock, collecting parts for 37s

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
Re: Jag's Rocker Skids
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2009, 03:26:16 PM »
They look really nice.  I would seal any gaps though.  Dirt is going to get in there and start to rust from inside otherwise.  I know Kilby used a sheet of rubber as a gasket between the rocker and the skid to take up any large gaps.

Looks like your tale pipe is a bit restricted. LOL!
Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZNlr60GXH5OlKIFrT7P6mg
My Jeep: http://4bangerjp.com/forums/index.php?topic=2783.0
"If the motor car were invented today, there is absolutely no way that any government in the world would let normal members of the public drive one."

Offline FourbangerYJ

• Servicing Squirrels Since 1995®
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2009, 10:17:12 PM »
They look great. I would add some sealant to the top of the rocker. I used some that was black.

On a side note how do you like the KM2's so far?
Scott~

Using tools you have not used in a while is like shaking hands with old friends. :nod:

Offline chrisfranklin

• 4BangerJP.com® Donator
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2009, 11:48:00 PM »
Yes, really nice job on the panel, Jag.  I've got some shrockworks rockers on order right now.  I took a hit in the left rocker a few years back and had to bang that and play plastic surgeon w/ evercoat to get it back in shape.

How the heck are you getting so much rust in that panel area, man?  I thought you were living in inland California or South West somewhere? 
'94 YJ S 5spd, Borla Exhaust, CarSound Cat., PS Ceramic-coated Headers, Airraid intake, 62mm TB, Intake Manifold bored/ceramic-coated, 19lb injectors, Sharp's Adj. FPR, MeanGreen Starter, D30 Aussie locker, 31" Destination MTs, Warn XD9000, Cibie headlights, armor

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2009, 01:44:17 AM »
Yes, really nice job on the panel, Jag.  I've got some shrockworks rockers on order right now.  I took a hit in the left rocker a few years back and had to bang that and play plastic surgeon w/ evercoat to get it back in shape.

How the heck are you getting so much rust in that panel area, man?  I thought you were living in inland California or South West somewhere? 
Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZNlr60GXH5OlKIFrT7P6mg
My Jeep: http://4bangerjp.com/forums/index.php?topic=2783.0
"If the motor car were invented today, there is absolutely no way that any government in the world would let normal members of the public drive one."

Offline neale_rs

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2009, 01:37:11 PM »
They look great!   Just don't use silicone sealant for use on houses because it causes rust pretty bad.  Seems it releases acid when it gets wet and drys.  Not sure if automotive silicone is ok to use for this.  Clear latex bathroom sealant has worked well for me although it turns kind of brownish after a while.
'95 YJ, 33 x 12.5 mud tires, RE 4.5 ED lift, Atlas 4 speed, rear D44, ARBs front and rear, 4.56 gears, 8000# winch

Offline jagular7

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2009, 02:26:05 PM »
Jeep was bought off ebay many moons ago (6+yrs) and it was from OH. When a I get an oil change at Vavoline, they talk to me as if I was the other owner.

Thanks for the info on the sealant. Yah, I used the sealant between the 2 plate skids but nothing against the body.

The tail pipe has been that way for couple of years now. I did have to cut off about 2" to have it at least breathe some. The real kicker is the flange that is welded to the inside rear panel of the muffler is broken and I get a lot more 'buzzing' noise from that.

As for the KM2s, yah, I like them for the road and trail. I drive to the trails and many times, it is across 2-3 states. They are a radial and I had a set of 34" LTBs before. I really can't compare them as the LTBs lasted me almost 5 yrs and 17k miles. Never had a problem with the LTBs offroad either. I'm hoping to double the mileage on these radials.

Next long run is into CO and Moab once again Sept 16-26. For CO, I'm pulling my kids from school for the 3 days and then air freighting them home. Then its off to Moab for a week.

Note: lifting the leg higher to clear the bar is a little harder to do now. I do rub the back of the calf against it getting out.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2009, 02:41:09 PM by jagular7 »
Jagular7

czjeeper

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2009, 05:50:03 PM »
Do you have a link to those rockers?

Offline FourbangerYJ

• Servicing Squirrels Since 1995®
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2009, 06:46:58 PM »
Do you have a link to those rockers?

He made them.
Scott~

Using tools you have not used in a while is like shaking hands with old friends. :nod:

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel Blower®
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2009, 06:59:12 PM »
what paint did you use? they look really nice  :clap:
'95 YJ, NSG370 6spd / Hurst shifter, Dana 300 + 4:1 Doubler / tri-stick, Custom skid, Super D35 / Auburn LSD / 4.88, 35x12.5x15 BFG KM2, 64mm t/b, 1.7 RollerRockers, MkVIII e-fan, Dual Diaph Booster
Latest: Corbeau BajaRS heated seats :dance: keeping warm the rear end

Banshee600

« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2009, 08:31:21 AM »
looks good you could sell a few sets of those rails on here. all that rust though looks like you cuold one day leave the tub out in the in the woods. i'v seen a few tubs on craigs list out here on the west coast for $300 to $500

Offline jagular7

« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2009, 07:11:02 PM »
what paint did you use? they look really nice  :clap:

On sale Vaspar Black Flat spray along with Rustoleum automotive primer. First trip out, scuffed them up pretty good on the passenger side.
Jagular7

Offline jagular7

« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2009, 07:23:55 PM »
looks good you could sell a few sets of those rails on here. all that rust though looks like you cuold one day leave the tub out in the in the woods. i'v seen a few tubs on craigs list out here on the west coast for $300 to $500

I would really like to find a Jeep 'C/Y/TJ tub for a matching luggage trailer. I would build a frame, add a matching axle, cut at the 'A' pillar, put in a new floor and wheel well with a panel at the 'B' pillar for an enclosed tub and a tray up front.

So far, I put this together on the cheap for a luggage trailer.

Its a HF 1200 40x48 frame, 17 cuft yard dump trailer and an extension on the tongue.
Jagular7