Author Topic: fuel smell in cab  (Read 726 times)

cab

fuel smell in cab
« on: August 05, 2009, 12:22:06 PM »
 i recently started getting bad fuel odor in the cab of my yj.  even with the half doors and back windows out my clothes reap of gas.  what could be causing this?  thanks.

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel BlowerŪ
Re: fuel smell in cab
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2009, 12:44:43 PM »
did you look under the hood or under the jeep? try to see where it smells more first. inspect your fuel lines from the tank all the way to the engine bay (they run against the driver side frame rail on the inside), inspect your evap canister (if yours has one) and also the filler neck and hoses (there should be 2). could also be tank related (craked or punctured if you have a plastic one, maybe rusted if it's metal) or the level sender/fuel-pump mount. Identify where the smell comes first and you go from there, there is no way to guess remotely where the smell comes from but from what you describe could be from the engine bay (so more info about how well or bad is your engine running can also help). Also you might want to specify what year/model is your Jeep so someone with the same model can give you some pointers.
'95 YJ, NSG370 6spd / Hurst shifter, Dana 300 + 4:1 Doubler / tri-stick, Custom skid, Super D35 / Auburn LSD / 4.88, 35x12.5x15 BFG KM2, 64mm t/b, 1.7 RollerRockers, MkVIII e-fan, Dual Diaph Booster
Latest: Corbeau BajaRS heated seats :dance: keeping warm the rear end

cab

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2009, 03:04:24 PM »
 sharp, it is a 89 wrangler, i see no leaks underneath.  it smells stronger when driving so its kinda hard to pinpoint where it could be coming from.  its seems funny the fumes are really bad after i plugged all my drain holes.  there is no change in the way the engine runs.  i am lost.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2009, 03:05:52 PM by cab »

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel BlowerŪ
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2009, 04:31:05 PM »
could be all the ones i listed. i think 89 is tbi (not sure) and if that is the case it is unlikely that you have a leak on the pressure line or you would feel the engine running worse than before - if i'd be to guess it's from the tank or engine bay, the fact that you plugged your drain holes could mean that is now sucking air in the cabin thru other orifices, but again you'll have to do some investigating. since you say that it smells stronger when driving (so not when standing still and revving the engine) could point to the tank - you can see the top of the tank thru the driver side rear wheel fender well - try and see if you could smell anything there (take the rear wheel off and stick your head under the fender). could also be a pinched line, more likely to be a return but if the hole is tiny could be the pressure line as well, however in that case you would lose quite a bit of gas and i'd say that it would probably creating a spot on the ground.
'95 YJ, NSG370 6spd / Hurst shifter, Dana 300 + 4:1 Doubler / tri-stick, Custom skid, Super D35 / Auburn LSD / 4.88, 35x12.5x15 BFG KM2, 64mm t/b, 1.7 RollerRockers, MkVIII e-fan, Dual Diaph Booster
Latest: Corbeau BajaRS heated seats :dance: keeping warm the rear end

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2009, 04:49:12 PM »
Hmm, I would check the little 90* rubber tube that conencts the hardline to the fuel filter.  It's behind the driver side rear tire, behind the frame.  When mine sprung a leak, you could smell it but unless you really looked back there, there wasn't any dripping since it was only spraying while under pressure and it would vaporize fairly quickly.
Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZNlr60GXH5OlKIFrT7P6mg
My Jeep: http://4bangerjp.com/forums/index.php?topic=2783.0
"If the motor car were invented today, there is absolutely no way that any government in the world would let normal members of the public drive one."

Offline jfrabat

• Gargantuan Mango Tree MechanicŪ
  • Finally USING the Jeep!
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2009, 06:48:17 PM »
This has happened to me twice now (mine is a 94); once, the fuel rail's weld broke and it was leaking fuel into the intake manifold (and thus, the exhaust header also!).  NOT GOOD!  I had to tow the Jeep back home because I dont like my Jeeps well done.  Second time, it was after I replaced the fuel pump, I left one of the hoses disconnected (the roll over hoses) and fuel was spilling to the top of the tank.  I could never see fuel on the ground, but it still smelled.

My way of thinking, if it smells like fuel, there IS fuel, regardless if you can see a leak or not, so better double check everything before you have an accident you may regret (such as the Jeep going "Puff")
'94 YJ 2.5L with 4" RE lift, Superwinch EPi9.0, FoMoCo e-Fan, SD30 and SD35 w/ARB-5.13, 165A alt., 33" BFG KM2 on 15" AR wheels, Sony sound system, Pavement Ends Hardtop, Hydroboost

cab

« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2009, 08:33:55 AM »
thanks guys i will begin my search.