Author Topic: Propane power!  (Read 1630 times)

Offline Elyod

• Sedona is red
Propane power!
« on: April 20, 2007, 01:28:25 PM »
Anyone here ever research running you jeep on propane?  I just started looking around and it seems pretty cool.  The YJ crowd might get another point above us TJ owners:  you have to have an older 2.5 to replace the ignition system.  I don't know why since they are both fuel injected, but
www.gotpropane.com says older engines work and new ones don't.  I will do some more research.  For about 1000 dollars you can run you engine off cleaner burning less expensive (at a large supplier) fuel. 

Jesse-James

Re: Propane power!
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2007, 01:40:52 PM »
Wheeled with a guy last fall that ran propane on his CJ, great solution for a trail rig with a carb. I don't know if it would be worth converting a MPFI or if it's feasible. Definitely gained some room out back though.

Offline Elyod

• Sedona is red
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2007, 02:24:44 PM »
That is a sweet rig!  I know, it is the one situation i wish i had a carburated engine!  Oh well.  Maybe for a future project.

Got Wood?

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2007, 08:10:49 PM »
I have a buddy who converted his cj to propane and a couple of other guys with samis on propane. On a mpfi engine you will lose some h.p., but on a carbed motor it is what we call poor man's fuel injection. Runs great and clean too. When my yj goes trail only status I plan on propaning it. Right now my trail rig is an 88 xj wag. and if I have too much trouble with the renix I plan on propaning it. I will lose some h.p. but you can really dumb down (simplify) your motor. You just need an h.e.i distributor, Give it 12 volts and run it.

Offline Elyod

• Sedona is red
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2007, 02:25:13 PM »
Hope it works out for you.  Maybe someday I will build a rig and run it on propane but because i have a tj i guess that won't happen for a while.  It still is a really cool upgrade for older jeeps.

bipolarmorgan

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2009, 04:55:40 PM »
My buddy keeps trying to get me to do this, but then i worry about leaks... once you have one your screwed, aren't you?!

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2009, 01:40:24 PM »
Anyone here ever research running you jeep on propane?  I just started looking around and it seems pretty cool.  The YJ crowd might get another point above us TJ owners:  you have to have an older 2.5 to replace the ignition system.  I don't know why since they are both fuel injected, but
www.gotpropane.com says older engines work and new ones don't.  I will do some more research.  For about 1000 dollars you can run you engine off cleaner burning less expensive (at a large supplier) fuel. 
I'd really do some deep research on it.  I've seen it done on a few trucks but most are not long excursion rigs.  One guy I talked to was installing a propane system on his Scout II.  He calculated he needed two large 10lbs tanks to get through the Rubicon and still have some reserve to have some fun there.  Unless you have a buggy or something larger then a YJ, I wouldn't bother.  Oh and this guy trailers his Scout so if you wanted to drive it the 300 miles then you'd need a few more tanks.  Fuel mileage doesn't necessary improve.
Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZNlr60GXH5OlKIFrT7P6mg
My Jeep: http://4bangerjp.com/forums/index.php?topic=2783.0
"If the motor car were invented today, there is absolutely no way that any government in the world would let normal members of the public drive one."

Offline aw12345

• my jeep picture page
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2009, 01:47:42 PM »
Fuel milage tanks, since propane has only about 80% of the burn value of gasoline
2006 Jeep Wrangler TJ SE
2004 Jeep Wrangler TJ SE

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel BlowerŪ
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2009, 01:56:53 PM »
the cars that i've seen it done in the past had both propane and gas and you could switch back and forth between the 2 - it is also a matter of having room for the tank as well though, and with wranglers that's quite prime real estate space we're talking about (1 of those tanks will pretty much 1/2 the space behind the front seats and is not much there to begin with) - now i'm thinking, what if you put the tank between the rad and the motor on a 4 banger after doing the electric fan mod? would that be safe and street legal (probably not i would guess)? 
'95 YJ, NSG370 6spd / Hurst shifter, Dana 300 + 4:1 Doubler / tri-stick, Custom skid, Super D35 / Auburn LSD / 4.88, 35x12.5x15 BFG KM2, 64mm t/b, 1.7 RollerRockers, MkVIII e-fan, Dual Diaph Booster
Latest: Corbeau BajaRS heated seats :dance: keeping warm the rear end

Offline chardrc

« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2009, 07:20:51 PM »
had a guy running propane at the paloduro jeep jamboree and he ran out of propane.. kinda sucks when noone else will have extra for you. still cool though especially if you could have it run on gas or propane...
1990 YJ 4cly, ax5, 2.5 inch BDS lift, 31 MTr\'s,  Powertrax-lockers all around, track-bars removed, boomerang shackles, warn m8000 winch, electric fan. [sold but not forgotten]

2007 jk Rubicon 2dr