Author Topic: steel wheels  (Read 1244 times)

drunkencityworker

steel wheels
« on: March 11, 2010, 09:34:43 PM »
Are all steel wheels created equal?

OK...I have beadlock envy.
So I am drawn between buying these http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BLACK-BEADLOCK-WHEEL-Jeep-CJ5-55-56-57-58-59-60-61-62_W0QQitemZ300381796016QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMotors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories?hash=item45f02676b0

Or having one of my buddies weld some rings on for me.
If I go with having my buddy weld em what steel wheels would you go with?
What DIY kit would you go with and for what reasons?

Offline FourbangerYJ

• Servicing Squirrels Since 1995®
Re: steel wheels
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2010, 09:59:04 PM »
Allied makes a nice wheel. There is a lot of bolts on that one. I have seen others with fewer bolts. Not sure on the price it would not hurt to shop around. Can you pick those up since they are in Chicago? Shipping on wheels is pretty steep!
Scott~

Using tools you have not used in a while is like shaking hands with old friends. :nod:

drunkencityworker

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2010, 10:58:49 PM »
Yea I am going to look into that and jc whitney is about an hour. But most places now a days just place the order with the supplier and they send the product out unfortunatley.

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2010, 11:20:48 PM »
You might also want to check around and see if the local principality shuns on bead locks or now.  Most are not DOT approved.  Also there have been cases where the grade 8's heads shear off the wheels.  I think most problems are an installer issue.  It's either over-torquing, or the tire puts too much pressure on the ring and it stretches the bolt.  You might have to try a few times rotating the tire on the wheel to get it to balance as well.  Although most who are running beadlocks are running 36+ and bias ply so they don't bother.

Any steel wheel can be used but I'd probably choose a quality wheel.

I think most if not all beadlocks these days are 32 bolt.  With people breaking heads off of the 19 was more of an issue.  
Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZNlr60GXH5OlKIFrT7P6mg
My Jeep: http://4bangerjp.com/forums/index.php?topic=2783.0
"If the motor car were invented today, there is absolutely no way that any government in the world would let normal members of the public drive one."

Offline neale_rs

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2010, 07:39:32 AM »
Have you looked into internal bead locks?
'95 YJ, 33 x 12.5 mud tires, RE 4.5 ED lift, Atlas 4 speed, rear D44, ARBs front and rear, 4.56 gears, 8000# winch

drunkencityworker

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2010, 10:50:22 PM »
I live in chicago...they for the most part have bigger problems...not really proud to say but I am illegal 5-6ways already. I dont drive my jeep like a sports car. I am a 38 year old man and { knock on wood } havnt been pulled over at all in over 8years. If they are going to take the time to write me for beadlocks. then get me for no side markers, tires extending past edge of bumper, more than 22" from ground to bumper/frame,no liscense plate light,no reverse light,no side mirrors 4 months a year, huge exhaust leak and prob more. Here its more about just not being an ass and driving and acting respectfull. I dont drink and drive and that is what they really are busy getting in my neck of the woods. I was thinking just spray a little rattle can on bolts so not as obvious and if asked say there street locks. If they want to take 32 bolts out to find out I screwed anyways.

When it comes to the internals . I have tried to stick to the KISS theory Keep It Simple Stupid. Auto lockers, no actuator to break. eliminate vac disco completley. And decided bolt on beads. No internals to worry about inflating when deflating and no extra valve stems to break. and if I blow an inner bead then I will need therapy on my elbow for all the extra patting myself on the back I will be doing...lol

Offline Bounty Hunter

• http://www.sija.org
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2010, 10:14:28 PM »
If you do the weld-ons I think generally any steel wheel will work well, you will be looking more for the correct lug pattern and backspacing than anything.  My beadlocks are welded to a set of stock Waggy wheels, making them a good width for my Q's.

Offline jagular7

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2010, 07:08:52 AM »
Got to Pirate4x4, under the vendor section of the forum, there is a guy (406YJ) in Witchita, KS (Click Me) that sells cheaply compared, recentered Hummer beadlock rims, choice of center design, custom backspacing, lug count/pattern, rim lip skid, double beadlock, etc. Only problem, this is only for 16.5" tires. He also sells the Hummer Wrangler MTs, RTs, and other Michelin military tires. There really isn't much of a market for the 16.5" rim tires for today's vehicles. TSL, Pitbull have a small selection. Maybe some others.

To add, I think he's now expanding also into the 20" military beadlock rims as well.
Jagular7
97 SE - Rubbered and locked for fun
94 SE - stock, collecting parts for 37s

Offline oldjeep

• www.Oldjeep.com
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2010, 08:41:45 AM »
Got to Pirate4x4, under the vendor section of the forum, there is a guy (406YJ) in Witchita, KS (Click Me) that sells cheaply compared, recentered Hummer beadlock rims, choice of center design, custom backspacing, lug count/pattern, rim lip skid, double beadlock, etc. Only problem, this is only for 16.5" tires. He also sells the Hummer Wrangler MTs, RTs, and other Michelin military tires. There really isn't much of a market for the 16.5" rim tires for today's vehicles. TSL, Pitbull have a small selection. Maybe some others.

To add, I think he's now expanding also into the 20" military beadlock rims as well.

As much as I loved the recentered hummer rims that I had on my CJ - you do not want to run them unless you have significatly beefed up your axles (I wouldn't put them on anything smaller than a D60 in the rear and a D44 with alloys in the front).  A hummer rim with an insert of any sort weighs about 2x a normal rim.  I ran them with 37" Iroks and each rim/tire weighed somewhere around 130-150lbs

« Last Edit: March 15, 2010, 08:44:42 AM by oldjeep »
Chuck P
The clowns'? Oh, yeah, the clowns. We fight them too — entire armies, spilling out of Volkswagons. We do our best to fight them off, but they keep sending 'em in!
94 YJ - gone
98 ZJ - sons truck
97 TJ - daughters project

www.oldjeep.com

drunkencityworker

« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2010, 09:56:12 AM »
mmmmm.....q's.......(homer simpson drooling voice)