Author Topic: Heavy-Duty Pickup Prices Could Increase Nearly $15,000 to Meet MPG Standards  (Read 713 times)

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
Heavy-Duty Pickup Prices Could Increase Nearly $15,000 to Meet MPG Standards
Posted by Mike Levine | September 13, 2010

Heavy-Duty Pickup Prices Could Increase Nearly $15000 to Meet MPG Standards
By Larry Edsall for PickupTrucks.com

According to a 414-page report from The National Academies: Advisers to the Nation on Science, Engineering, and Medicine, new federal regulations aimed at increasing fuel economy and reducing emissions could add as little as a few bucks or as much as several thousand dollars to the price of your next new HD pickup.

How much? Nearly $15,000 per vehicle isn't out of the question.

"There is no question that using new technologies to meet federal fuel economy targets will be necessary and many of these technologies have the potential to add significant cost to new vehicles," said Charlie Territo, spokesman for the Alliance of Automobile Manufacturers, a Washington, D.C.-based organization comprising a dozen automakers.

"Costs will depend on the specific fuel economy targets and the cost of the technology that needs to be added," explained Territo.

"At the end of the day, what remains to be seen is whether or not consumers will be willing to pay those costs," said Territo. "This is a very challenging economic time and we need to insure that the costs of new technology are in line with what consumers can afford to pay."

Whether someone operates a fleet or vehicles or owns a single HD work truck, the vehicle owner has an option, as Territo put it, "to buy a new vehicle or to hold onto a current vehicle longer."

And, Territo added, "There is no benefit if these vehicles aren’t on the road."

In May, President Barack Obama called on the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency and the U.S. Department of Transportation to include work trucks – medium- and heavy-duty vehicles – under the fuel economy and emissions umbrella that already spans passenger cars and light-duty trucks.

The EPA and DOT have responded and sent the administration a draft of the proposed regulations covering medium- and heavy-duty vehicles for model years 2014 -2018. Those proposed standards have not been released, but they could be available this fall and are expected to be announced in their final form next summer.

The new regulations could add as little as a few bucks or as much as several thousand dollars to the price of your next new HD pickup, according to a report from the National Academies.

(Note: What the automakers may label as "heavy-duty" trucks are considered medium duty by the feds and the National Academies, so don’t think you escape under some technicality of language. Your 2016 Ford F-250 Super Duty or Chevy Silverado HD or Ram 3500 is included in the new regulations.)

The report was prepared by the Academies' committee to assess fuel economy technologies for medium- and heavy-duty vehicles and by its board on energy and environmental systems. The committee was made up of academics, consultants, folks from the national laboratories and even a representative of Southeastern Freight Lines. Board members included academics as well as representatives of Dow Chemical, Delphi, an investment bank, assorted consultants and retirees from Honeywell, ExxonMobil and Chrysler.

The report covers medium- and heavy-duty vehicles ranging from contractors’ pickups and delivery vehicles to garbage trucks, semis and buses.

Cost Table

In the section that deals with pickup trucks and vans (Class 2b), the report notes that "vehicles with up to 10,000 pounds of gross vehicle weight used for personal transportation are classified as medium-duty passenger vehicles and are subject to light-duty vehicle legislation." It also notes that the “typical application" for Class 2b is “an urban delivery vehicle or a work vehicle for a small contractor.” In other words, your typical HD pickup.

"Fuel consumption can be reduced through vehicle modifications and systematic incorporation of advanced technologies into the powertrain," the report says. "Engine fuel consumption can be reduced by either applying advanced technologies to the spark ignition engine or substituting a diesel engine for the spark ignition engine."

Because of the typically low annual miles traveled by such vehicles, "the highest potential for reducing fuel consumption will reside with engine improvements, hybridization and transmission improvements," the report says.

The report's focus is on technical and mechanical solutions and includes several categories of enhancement. The least expensive is bumping the cost of each truck by $10 to put it on low-rolling-resistance tires, which in most instances would improve fuel economy by 2 percent, the report says. Or, for $100 per vehicle, aerodynamics could be enhanced, resulting in a 3 percent bump in fuel economy.

Interestingly enough, reducing vehicle curb weight by 300 pounds would produce less than 1 percent in fuel savings but would add $800 to the vehicle purchase price, the report says.

Switching from a four-speed to a six- or eight-speed transmission would improve fuel economy by 7 percent– for a cost of $1,000 per truck.

Opt for a parallel hybrid powertrain, and you get an 18 percent boost in fuel economy, though for a cost of $9,000 per vehicle. Going hybrid also adds 300 pounds to the vehicle’s weight, so you’d have to find some other way – at a cost of $600 per vehicle – to remove enough stuff to negate that added weight.

Another option is going from unleaded gasoline to diesel power. The result is a 19 to 24 percent improvement in fuel economy at a cost between $8,000 and $9,000 per vehicle.

The most effective way to increase fuel economy – and reduce greenhouse gas emissions at the same time – is to make changes to the engine. Applying variable valve timing or variable valve lift technology to your typical gasoline-powered V-8 reduces fuel use by 1 to 3 percent at a cost of $120 to $750. Cylinder deactivation reduces fuel use 2 to 3 percent and costs only $75 per truck. Direct injection technology reduces fuel use 2 to 3 percent at a cost of $550 to $950 per truck.

The biggest payoff comes from turbocharging, downsizing and using lean-burn technology, similar to Ford’s EcoBoost engines. A 5.8-liter turbo gasoline engine can produce a 23 percent savings in fuel use. The cost is $4,000, less than half the price of a hybrid.

Do all of the non-diesel changes above, and your 2015-2020 package produces a 44.5 percent fuel savings over today’s HD pickups, at a total cost of $14,710 per vehicle, the report says.

Of course, the report also notes that instead of requiring any complex technical changes to the vehicles themselves, the government could simply reduce fuel consumption by significantly increasing the cost of fuel through higher taxes.
Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZNlr60GXH5OlKIFrT7P6mg
My Jeep: http://4bangerjp.com/forums/index.php?topic=2783.0
"If the motor car were invented today, there is absolutely no way that any government in the world would let normal members of the public drive one."

TrailsLessTaken

I think if they do that one you are going to see the gas truck market die off as everybody starts buying diesels, I know for a fact that I will not be replacing my truck anytime soon if the prices are supposed to go up that much.  I will stick with used as long as I can

Offline chrisfranklin

• 4BangerJP.com® Donator
I remember the whole luxury tax deal on high-end autos that started in the early 90s and how that surprisingly (to me at least) seemed to spur more in the U.S. public in to buying SUVs, luxo SUVs, and trucks that managed to sidestep that new tax law.  

If new, heavy-duty pickup prices get jacked upward due to federal MPG mandates, I'm trying to figure out which way new vehicle buyers are going to go this time around.  

Maybe rich types will decide to absorb the price hikes and buy big pickups instead of S-Class Mercs or something.  Or maybe new big pickup sales will get hammered up and down save for diesel models.  Either way, maybe used gas pickups values will soar upward as a result of MPG-related price hikes hitting the new, heavy-duty gas-powered units.  

Or maybe the feds will say, "just kidding" about the whole MPG Standard deal and let huge, new quantities of Iraqi oil get dumped on the global oil market, thus, perhaps helping a re-worked GM, Ford see a boost in heavy-duty sales domestically and now internationally, too.  

Actually, foreign sales could (strangely enough) maybe be the business where U.S. gas-powered, heavy duty pickup sales will still be steady, if not improved, should some kind of federal $15,000 MPG-related "hike" crash domestic sales.  
« Last Edit: September 14, 2010, 10:09:02 AM by chrisfranklin »
'94 YJ S 5spd, Borla Exhaust, CarSound Cat., PS Ceramic-coated Headers, Airraid intake, 62mm TB, Intake Manifold bored/ceramic-coated, 19lb injectors, Sharp's Adj. FPR, MeanGreen Starter, D30 Aussie locker, 31" Destination MTs, Warn XD9000, Cibie headlights, armor

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
I think this is a 'feel good' law that wasn't really thought through.  This is only going to hurt small businesses and they will either go under or pass along the cost to the customer.

The country is out of money and they're struggling to tax us without taxing us.
"If the motor car were invented today, there is absolutely no way that any government in the world would let normal members of the public drive one."

TrailsLessTaken

If I bought my truck brand new with that pricing for a gas model crew cab chevy thats not even fully loaded thats going to make the truck around 57k  :yikes:  :yikes:  :yikes: there is no way the small business could justify buying new trucks at that price.  I think you would see alot of companies holding on to the trucks they have and start taking better care of them or going to buying just used trucks.  The average person isnt going to be able to afford that kind of payment

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
Well, if it's like the Gas-guzzler tax, it's a one time thing.  So at least they aren't hitting you every year.

Torch_Ind

it's something thats not going to hold or add value to the truck at the same time so once it's off the lot your going to be out that tax + off the lot depreciation!!

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
it's something thats not going to hold or add value to the truck at the same time so once it's off the lot your going to be out that tax + off the lot depreciation!!
Typically, a HD truck isn't bought and sold quickly.  It's usually run into the ground so I doubt depreciation is an issue.

Torch_Ind

Typically, a HD truck isn't bought and sold quickly.  It's usually run into the ground so I doubt depreciation is an issue.

it does happen.

trust me

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
it does happen.

trust me
Yeah, it happens but then a lot of people buy big then find out they should haven' too.

Torch_Ind

Re: Heavy-Duty Pickup Prices Could Increase Nearly $15,000 to Meet MPG Standards
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2010, 08:43:33 PM »
Yeah, it happens but then a lot of people buy big then find out they should haven' too.

well even so if someone bough the truck and keep it. it would bother me that 15 000$ is throw away on it for??  15 000$ could rebuild a old one pretty nice and you haven't even touched the purchases price of the truck yet. thats just this tax or cost to make more efficient?  if it's like a diesel system were you have to have extra filters and special fluid run just to meet mpg standards? or emission standards? it all equals more cost to the customer.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2010, 08:46:46 PM by Torch_Ind »