Author Topic: 94 YJ...need help w/ weird electrical issues re: horn and ignition  (Read 1273 times)

mjmudd

Today i was at a stoplight and without touching it, my horn started to blare.  After about 30 seconds i decided to turn off the ignition to see if that would stop the horn, but when i did this the car kept running along with the horn.  Alarmed, i turned the ignition back on and kept driving with the horn going.  after a about 1 minute it turned off by itself, but when i parked it at my house i turned off the ignition and the engine shut off, but the horn went off for about two seconds and then truned off by itself.  If you have an idea about what is going on I would really appreciate it because I am at a complete loss and talk about embarrasing!!!

Thanks,

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
Re: 94 YJ...need help w/ weird electrical issues re: horn and ignition
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2011, 04:27:26 PM »
Well, I do know the interior lights, horn, stereo and ignition are on the same circuit.  Could be a bad relay someplace.
Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZNlr60GXH5OlKIFrT7P6mg
My Jeep: http://4bangerjp.com/forums/index.php?topic=2783.0
"If the motor car were invented today, there is absolutely no way that any government in the world would let normal members of the public drive one."

Offline grumpygy

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2011, 06:28:46 PM »
Well, I do know the interior lights, horn, stereo and ignition are on the same circuit.  Could be a bad relay someplace.

Believe the relay is with the fuse panel.
94 YJ, Cool Air intake, 19lb Inj, 4.0 Throttlebody with spacer,  31/10.50/15's

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel BlowerŪ
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2011, 08:42:57 PM »
Believe the relay is with the fuse panel.

the horn relay should be in the PDC by the battery, not sure if this changed but i think this is where it is on my '95 YJ. It is not powered from the ignition key run position, so not really something that would cause both to malfunction, something else must be going on, quite weird. Even if let's say the horn relay would activate by itself it would not power anything else, so not sure what can cause what you describe (horn going off and engine not shut off after turning the key in stop position).
'95 YJ, NSG370 6spd / Hurst shifter, Dana 300 + 4:1 Doubler / tri-stick, Custom skid, Super D35 / Auburn LSD / 4.88, 35x12.5x15 BFG KM2, 64mm t/b, 1.7 RollerRockers, MkVIII e-fan, Dual Diaph Booster
Latest: Corbeau BajaRS heated seats :dance: keeping warm the rear end

Offline grumpygy

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2011, 09:04:40 PM »
the horn relay should be in the PDC by the battery, not sure if this changed but i think this is where it is on my '95 YJ. It is not powered from the ignition key run position, so not really something that would cause both to malfunction, something else must be going on, quite weird. Even if let's say the horn relay would activate by itself it would not power anything else, so not sure what can cause what you describe (horn going off and engine not shut off after turning the key in stop position).

Yep its in that box right in front of the Battery, but so is the start relay.  Just as you said differnet circuits.
94 YJ, Cool Air intake, 19lb Inj, 4.0 Throttlebody with spacer,  31/10.50/15's

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel BlowerŪ
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2011, 10:44:30 PM »
Yep its in that box right in front of the Battery, but so is the start relay.  Just as you said differnet circuits.

the starter relay for the starter solenoid has nothing to do with the run position of the key, there's no relay on that one (and also completely separate circuit). something must be giving 12v somehow to both the horn and the 12v run circuit for this to happen, but i have no clue or can't guess how and where.
'95 YJ, NSG370 6spd / Hurst shifter, Dana 300 + 4:1 Doubler / tri-stick, Custom skid, Super D35 / Auburn LSD / 4.88, 35x12.5x15 BFG KM2, 64mm t/b, 1.7 RollerRockers, MkVIII e-fan, Dual Diaph Booster
Latest: Corbeau BajaRS heated seats :dance: keeping warm the rear end