Author Topic: What's that Sound?  (Read 2555 times)

Offline neale_rs

Re: What's that Sound?
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2011, 01:26:12 PM »
Glad to hear you found the problem.
'95 YJ, 33 x 12.5 mud tires, RE 4.5 ED lift, Atlas 4 speed, rear D44, ARBs front and rear, 4.56 gears, 8000# winch

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel BlowerŪ
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2011, 02:45:40 PM »
Well, I think I found the problem.  It's not the wheel hubs.  I think it's the caliper.  It's sticking just enough to chatter.  I tried to remove it, compress the piston and reinstall but it returned.  The creaking I have heard is from the brake pad rubbing the disc.  At least a caliper is cheaper then a hub.

angle grinder, should only need to take a bit off to clear
'95 YJ, NSG370 6spd / Hurst shifter, Dana 300 + 4:1 Doubler / tri-stick, Custom skid, Super D35 / Auburn LSD / 4.88, 35x12.5x15 BFG KM2, 64mm t/b, 1.7 RollerRockers, MkVIII e-fan, Dual Diaph Booster
Latest: Corbeau BajaRS heated seats :dance: keeping warm the rear end

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2011, 03:06:13 PM »
angle grinder, should only need to take a bit off to clear
Angle grinder?  The piston is sticking.

Looks like I might be able to get a reman. caliper for free.  I replaced the originals back in '02 when they locked up on me.
Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZNlr60GXH5OlKIFrT7P6mg
My Jeep: http://4bangerjp.com/forums/index.php?topic=2783.0
"If the motor car were invented today, there is absolutely no way that any government in the world would let normal members of the public drive one."

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel BlowerŪ
« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2011, 03:30:54 PM »
Angle grinder?  The piston is sticking.

Looks like I might be able to get a reman. caliper for free.  I replaced the originals back in '02 when they locked up on me.

i thought the caliper is hitting the rim (inside of the wheel). how the heck is it clicking like a card in spokes then, can't get my head around it - you sure that's why it makes the noise? not saying the piston caliper is not seized just don't see how that would cause the sounds you describe (and from what you said it wasn't when breaking or not necessarily from what i understand).
'95 YJ, NSG370 6spd / Hurst shifter, Dana 300 + 4:1 Doubler / tri-stick, Custom skid, Super D35 / Auburn LSD / 4.88, 35x12.5x15 BFG KM2, 64mm t/b, 1.7 RollerRockers, MkVIII e-fan, Dual Diaph Booster

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2011, 10:07:51 PM »
i thought the caliper is hitting the rim (inside of the wheel). how the heck is it clicking like a card in spokes then, can't get my head around it - you sure that's why it makes the noise? not saying the piston caliper is not seized just don't see how that would cause the sounds you describe (and from what you said it wasn't when breaking or not necessarily from what i understand).
I think it's chatter from the pad catching on the disc.  On a downslope with the brakes lightly applied, it really started to make noise.  It took a pry bar to get the caliper off the disc.  It wasn't to the point of needing a sledge.  BTDT.  I took the caliper off, compressed the piston and bleed the system and it still happens but not as bad.  I'm going to replace the caliper next week.  Might have to consider new pads as well while I'm in there.
"If the motor car were invented today, there is absolutely no way that any government in the world would let normal members of the public drive one."

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel BlowerŪ
« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2011, 11:40:52 PM »
I think it's chatter from the pad catching on the disc.  On a downslope with the brakes lightly applied, it really started to make noise.  It took a pry bar to get the caliper off the disc.  It wasn't to the point of needing a sledge.  BTDT.  I took the caliper off, compressed the piston and bleed the system and it still happens but not as bad.  I'm going to replace the caliper next week.  Might have to consider new pads as well while I'm in there.

with the wheel on and that wheel lifted off the ground - if you apply brakes, then walk over and try to rotate the tire, if it spins freely then the piston is not seized. If it takes lots of effort to rotate the tire/wheel then it's stuck. do you have a little ridge on the outside of the brake disk (due to wear by the brake pads)? if you do then that's why it took the prybar to take the caliper off.

to me it sounds like you need brake pads, they are deforming in time and you get play between the metal support and the caliper mount where the pads are fitting in, just check to make sure you're not buying the caliper for the wrong reason.

EDIT: thinking about it and i think i might have got it wrong, the caliper would slide off and the pads would remain on the support, nevermind the wear on the disk - i was thinking of a different type caliper and pads (that have holes in so they slide out with the caliper, not the case with the Jeep ones, sorry for that). You're probably on the right track, i would change the pads as well if there is play between them and the mount though (not fitting snuggly in there).
« Last Edit: May 21, 2011, 12:07:27 AM by sharpxmen »

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2011, 11:02:26 PM »
You know now that I've had some time to think about it, I'm not sure if the caliper is sticking.  I know one pad is worn pretty low.  Both are low enough that they're gripping the rotors groves which is why I had to pry them off.  The only concern I have is that the pad didn't wear perfectly flat.  It's been a while since I've done brakes, mostly drums and don't remember if discs always wear flat or not.  I'm thinking the metal sound I'm hearing is the wear indicator kissing the the rotor.  So maybe I'll just leave the caliper and replace the pads and rotor.  The rotor has some nice grooves in it.

I think that's what you were saying Sharp.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2011, 11:13:47 PM by Jeffy »

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel BlowerŪ
« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2011, 07:20:13 AM »
 The rotor has some nice grooves in it.

I think that's what you were saying Sharp.

along those lines

might as well replace the rotors like you said (in the other thread) they are cheap enough and at least for good insurance for our undersized brakes