Author Topic: What is the best way to get more Top End?  (Read 4378 times)

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
What is the best way to get more Top End?
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2006, 10:49:18 AM »
What size tires are on it now?

The problem with a Supercharger is that his Jeep is a 90, the only kit out there is the avenger and that's for a MPFI.  Although there was a company who was installing centrifugal SC's on Jeeps and other cars.  I still can't remember the name of the shop though.  You could probably make a custom setup though.
Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZNlr60GXH5OlKIFrT7P6mg
My Jeep: http://4bangerjp.com/forums/index.php?topic=2783.0
"If the motor car were invented today, there is absolutely no way that any government in the world would let normal members of the public drive one."

YJmechanic

« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2006, 03:48:24 PM »
if you are still stock then you should see good gains from small mods.  i thought on 31 my ram air intake made my jeep insane.  everything listed will help especially on the top end and if you stay stock they should net you good gain.

i run my motor at  7k rpm when really running it but then again my engine was built for high rpms.  and the idea of swapping to a 4.0 is just giving up and also i built my motor for half what the 4.0 conversion would have costed and i have more power than any 4.0 with my setup i have ever met.

jwrape

« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2006, 03:50:09 PM »
I have a inertia ring on my flywheel since I did the AX15 conversion when I bought it back about a year or more ago. I LOVE it. I can bog my motor down to 300 rpms and recover it. It doesn't stall NEARLY as bad as other 4 banger I have seen and I don't ever chirp the tires when down shifting. My mileage is still 14 mpg which is what it has always been. I think it is a must do if you are replacing the clutch or doing tranny work.
My Dad has one too. My motor has over 200k on it, not sure exactly how much over and I can still get to 90mph down hill, 85 on level ground.
I am riding on 33x12.50's 4:10 gears

superman1456

« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2006, 08:57:49 PM »
YJmechanic what is your setup i have a custom built 4.0 and its an anmial. cant keep the wheels from spining no matter what i do. besids the point what is your setup in detail?

YJmechanic

« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2006, 05:12:42 AM »
there is an entire writeup on my motor if you look for it.  my point is not that a 4.0 cannot be more power than my motor i said my motor cost half as much to build as the conversion and it has more power than any of the 4.0 i have seen.  that is not to say there aren't 4.0 out there woth more power just that it would cost a lot more to build because you have the motor and conversion costs and then building and tuning that motor.  it's just not cost effective and sorry but just swapping to a bigger motor is no fun for me.  anything can be done with almost any motor if you want to.  i have a subaru with more power coming out of 4cyl than both our motors put together.

wrangler387

« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2006, 05:45:54 PM »
getting the ring definately won't help with anything other then off idle. Besides that it will just hurt you, going lighter will help cruising, but will hurt your off idle. Also s2000 motors don't rev to 11k stock, especially not the newer versions, they are amazingly efficient motors though... keke bigger stroke then the jeep too i believe, i still dont understand why the 2.5L has such as small stroke.

Offline Bounty Hunter

• http://www.sija.org
« Reply #21 on: October 14, 2006, 06:01:40 AM »
Quote from: "wrangler387"
Also s2000 motors don't rev to 11k stock, especially not the newer versions

That was the number I remember from when they were first released on the market.  The current version is 8200 compared to the 2003 model's 9000 limit.  Still up there for an automotive 4banger.

jwrape

« Reply #22 on: October 14, 2006, 08:05:15 AM »
Quote from: "wrangler387"
getting the ring definately won't help with anything other then off idle. Besides that it will just hurt you, going lighter will help cruising,

I really didn't notice any other losses. Like I said I can get up to 90 and pretty much hold around 70-85 or so on flat ground, but then I do have a electric fan, 4.0 tb and a K&N so those prolly help to. I would really do good if I had 4:88gears.

wrangler387

« Reply #23 on: October 14, 2006, 07:26:54 PM »
Quote from: "Bounty Hunter"

That was the number I remember from when they were first released on the market.  The current version is 8200 compared to the 2003 model's 9000 limit.  Still up there for an automotive 4banger.

They stepped up the stroke on the new motors, they now mimic the old H22XX motors. Bigger stroke then our 2.5L motors. Most honda motors rev pretty high, they are efficient motors, especially the newer K-series motors. 200whp all motor is easy.

The rings may not affect highway that much, but they definately don't help. I know every car i've put a lighter or lightened flywheel into was a noticeable difference in acceleration, but the more RPMs you have to give on a launch though since the motor has less inertia to initiall get the drivetrain moving.

SDentone

I now have a plan.
« Reply #24 on: October 19, 2006, 11:40:39 AM »
First I am rounding up a reasonably priced high flow CAT and Cat back exhaust.  Then new cold air induction system.  Then 8mm wires and a super coil, and spark pugs gapped to .065.  Thanks for all the info. I appreciate the help for the newbie.

Oh, and Nice new Avatar Jeffy.