Author Topic: Coolant Leak  (Read 4030 times)

Saggy

Re: Coolant Leak
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2011, 02:50:40 PM »
That freeze plug in the fsm looks like the 4th one...on the back of the engine facing the firewall.  So far as I can tell it is not leaking.  I have put a mirror right up on it with the black light and regular light.  Can't see a leak...but I can't get my real eyeballs right up to it to be certain.

I'll see if I can figure out how to look behind the flywheel through the cps.  I didn't know about that trick!    ???   When you say the inspection cover...are you referring to a cover on the tranny?

Thanks for sticking with me.  This has been going on for the better part of a year.

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel BlowerŪ
« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2011, 03:02:06 PM »
That freeze plug in the fsm looks like the 4th one...on the back of the engine facing the firewall.  So far as I can tell it is not leaking.  I have put a mirror right up on it with the black light and regular light.  Can't see a leak...but I can't get my real eyeballs right up to it to be certain.

I'll see if I can figure out how to look behind the flywheel through the cps.  I didn't know about that trick!    ???   When you say the inspection cover...are you referring to a cover on the tranny?

Thanks for sticking with me.  This has been going on for the better part of a year.

yes, the bellhousing inspection cover, the stamped piece of sheetmetal you took pictures of.

the plug i am referring to is the one in the red square below, that is behind the bellhousing so you can't see it (in this picture the block is upside down, you can see the bellhousing mounting bolts being on the outside of that area so the bellhousing would cover it. It would be behind the flywheel).

'95 YJ, NSG370 6spd / Hurst shifter, Dana 300 + 4:1 Doubler / tri-stick, Custom skid, Super D35 / Auburn LSD / 4.88, 35x12.5x15 BFG KM2, 64mm t/b, 1.7 RollerRockers, MkVIII e-fan, Dual Diaph Booster
Latest: Corbeau BajaRS heated seats :dance: keeping warm the rear end

Saggy

« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2011, 03:32:37 PM »
I'm with you.  So I took the CPS out.  I can't see any coolant in there with the UV or flashlight.

Is my next step to take the inspection cover off?  If so, it looks like I have to remove the starter and six other bolts to pull the cover.  Does that sound right?

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel BlowerŪ
« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2011, 03:38:18 PM »
I'm with you.  So I took the CPS out.  I can't see any coolant in there with the UV or flashlight.

Is my next step to take the inspection cover off?  If so, it looks like I have to remove the starter and six other bolts to pull the cover.  Does that sound right?

it sounds right but it also sounds like there's no need to do that anymore, I think you're at the point where you need to pull the transmission and see what's happening there if you see coolant on the block. It sucks but can't see any way around it if the leak is coming from there.
'95 YJ, NSG370 6spd / Hurst shifter, Dana 300 + 4:1 Doubler / tri-stick, Custom skid, Super D35 / Auburn LSD / 4.88, 35x12.5x15 BFG KM2, 64mm t/b, 1.7 RollerRockers, MkVIII e-fan, Dual Diaph Booster

Saggy

« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2011, 03:40:41 PM »
Well.  Crap.

Ok.  I'll let you know what I find.  Probably won't get a chance to do it till the weekend.

How long should it take (measured in beers) to pull?

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel BlowerŪ
« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2011, 04:01:11 PM »
Well.  Crap.

Ok.  I'll let you know what I find.  Probably won't get a chance to do it till the weekend.

How long should it take (measured in beers) to pull?

depends if you elevate the Jeep of just do it on jackstands. Make sure that if you take the t-case out separately you drain the transmission and t-case first or you'll spill oil/fluid all over the place. if you have a transmission floor jack (or adapter) you could just slide it back together with the t-case, i would still drain at least the t-case if you don't have an SYE, if you do then there's no need if you keep them together. You'd still need to remove the skid, shifters, driveshafts, 4wd vac lines, speed sensor wiring, reverse light switch wiring, vent lines (make sure they don't get stuck to rip/crack). you can get away without removing the starter but make sure you align the inspection cover when you slide the transmission back on (don't ask how i know, same for the oil spill).

if you have everything ready can be done in a few hours, if you need to walk around could be couple of days. Not sure if you need to take the flywheel off or not, if you do then you'll need a clutch centering shaft, don't try to eyeball it or you'll be inventing new swear words (you probably know that already but just making sure).

oh, and when you drain the t-case use the drain plug and not the chain tensioner plug (the drain plug is somewhere on the opposite side of the front output yoke if i remember correctly).

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel BlowerŪ
« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2011, 04:28:13 PM »
hang on a second, i somehow thought you said you CAN see coolant thru the cps opening (i obviously misread that) - if you cannot see coolant thru there (after re-reading your post that seems to be the case) then it is worth taking the inspection cover off, so i take back what i said about pulling the transmission.

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel BlowerŪ
« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2011, 09:41:14 PM »
another thought, if you have a hoist or access to one might be easier to just slide the engine forward rather than taking the transmission off (since it's a 4 banger there's plenty of room up front if you tale the radiator fan shroud off).

Saggy

« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2011, 03:43:50 PM »
Good idea on moving the engine forward.  Sorry...I disappeared for a couple days there.  I think I'm going to pull the inspection cover tonight or tomorrow if I can find the time.  I'll report back what I find.

I'm thinking it almost has to be the freeze plug you circled in that diagram at this point.  Sucks that the only way to see that is to separate the engine and tranny.  Anything else I should look at if I have to pull the engine?...since it will be out anyways...

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: June 04, 2011, 04:24:48 PM »
If you know that's the problem though I'd probably just drop the transmission and transfer case to get it out of the way.  6" isn't a whole lot of room to work with and I think it's probably going to be just as time consuming.
Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZNlr60GXH5OlKIFrT7P6mg
My Jeep: http://4bangerjp.com/forums/index.php?topic=2783.0
"If the motor car were invented today, there is absolutely no way that any government in the world would let normal members of the public drive one."

Saggy

« Reply #25 on: June 06, 2011, 07:32:56 AM »
Alright, guys.  Thanks for taking the time to respond.  I don't know when I'll get to it but I'll report back after I get it done.  Hopefully within the week...but I'm sure the wife and kids will have other ideas about the timeline.

Saggy

« Reply #26 on: February 28, 2012, 08:49:11 AM »
Anyone remember this post?  My wife took the kids to see their papa this weekend so I finally got around to dropping the transmission.  It WAS the freeze plug behind the bell housing.  Thanks for the help.  I never would have known that was there without you guys pointing it out.

The good news is that the leak is fixed.  I also replaced the oil freeze plug behind the bell housing because it was rusty from exposure to the coolant.  New clutch went in and the new throw-out bearing is smooth.  Everything went back together the way it came apart. 

The bad news is the coolant is boiling out of the radiator cap now.  I'll open a new post to make it easier to locate when users search for answers.

Thanks again for taking the time to respond.  Glad to not have coolant covering the underside/garage floor anymore!

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel BlowerŪ
« Reply #27 on: February 28, 2012, 09:41:07 AM »
glad you got it fixed  :thumb: