Author Topic: Deciding to make the "Big Leap"  (Read 3806 times)

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
Re: Deciding to make the "Big Leap"
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2012, 04:07:47 PM »
Why a Warn? I can get one of these upstart winches (like the Enco, which won some offroad magazine's winch test) for ~300 less. 700 seems like too much to spend for something I'll rarely use.

Is it worth going to polyurethane bushings for the front end? Or plain old rubber-for-now? When replacing the bushings, do you go nuts and do them all, or just the ones that look damaged?

You have not see the Warn VR series I take it.  The VR8000 is not $700.  I think the Warn VR series is the best compromise between price and quality.
Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZNlr60GXH5OlKIFrT7P6mg
My Jeep: http://4bangerjp.com/forums/index.php?topic=2783.0
"If the motor car were invented today, there is absolutely no way that any government in the world would let normal members of the public drive one."

Offline Tr00b

« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2012, 09:19:28 PM »
Ah-ha. I was looking at the one with synthetic cable, which is $300 more. http://4wheelonline.com/Warn_VR8000_Winch.171620.637012

I am cool with spending some extra cash for Warn quality. Doesn't look that heavy either, which is a plus.

Offline stan98tj

• Empty Wallet Wheeling Since 2007®
  • Wheeling New England
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2012, 03:53:18 AM »
I agree with Jeffy on the Warn. I wrote up a review on my VR 10,000 (which is why I agree with Jeffy's opinion  :smile:  )
In my opinion, 10000lb will likely never fail to pull you out or anyone you wheel with. Some may think it's overkill BUT my idea on it was although it's a WARN and has a great name to back it up, it's prob not as robust as their more expensive lines (but still probably more reliable than the competition ie Smitty, Rough Country etc) so since they probably wouldn't hold up for as long as the more expensive kind when pulling near capacity...so I decided to go with the 10k because it gives me more than enough to pull my jeep out regardless of tire size, angle and depth of mud AND gives me enough power to pull out rigs bigger than me. You really can't beat the VR prices.
If you are strapped for cash and don't want to pull the trigger just yet, save up and wait a bit while keeping your eye on the Quadratec line of winches. They are brand new and I haven't seen any reviews yet, but they are cheaper than the WARN VR line and claim to be just as good and better in some areas.

Personal experience: my WARN VR was about $500 and has pulled me out as well as others. I'm happy with it. Lockers will HELP you over/through obstacles...winches will get out of what lockers got you in....
98 TJ 35"Maxxis Trep.Old Man Emu 2.5""+1"BL,IronMan Fab control arms,4.56gears,Ford 8.8+ARB,Currie/IronMan steering, WARN VR10,HP D30 sleeved+ RCV,Body Armor Rock Rails WISHLIST:TDi.Girlfriend hates it :) If you can read this don't flip me over i dont have any $$ left to fix it

Offline Tr00b

« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2012, 05:38:18 PM »
For me, 90% of whatever winches use that I do get, is going to be skidding logs, dragging dead animals out of the barn, pulling trees over this-away instead of that-way... But mostly skidding logs. I don't know if that matters as far as winch choice goes...

They won't let me wheel in the local club because my Jeep doesn't have lockers. So I don't really wheel (yet) like most people would think.

I took a long, hard look at my undercarriage today. Doesn't look like the traction bar (the one that goes diagonally) was relocated. There is no relocation bracket etc... Looks like the stock location. What issues could this cause?

All the 8 bushings on the front track arms look solid, nothing rattles jiggles etc. I would say everything looks real solid. Yesterday was driving on a muddy gravel road and it was almost uncontrollable, its like the jeep wants to dart all over the place when it hits them...

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2012, 08:05:34 PM »
For me, 90% of whatever winches use that I do get, is going to be skidding logs, dragging dead animals out of the barn, pulling trees over this-away instead of that-way... But mostly skidding logs. I don't know if that matters as far as winch choice goes...

They won't let me wheel in the local club because my Jeep doesn't have lockers. So I don't really wheel (yet) like most people would think.

I took a long, hard look at my undercarriage today. Doesn't look like the traction bar (the one that goes diagonally) was relocated. There is no relocation bracket etc... Looks like the stock location. What issues could this cause?

All the 8 bushings on the front track arms look solid, nothing rattles jiggles etc. I would say everything looks real solid. Yesterday was driving on a muddy gravel road and it was almost uncontrollable, its like the jeep wants to dart all over the place when it hits them...

They won't let you wheel because you don't have lockers?  Is it because the train is difficult or stupid club rule?  Typically lockers would be dependent on the trail rating and not a club rule.

As for your track bar, it's shoving your axle over 1" off center if you have lift.
"If the motor car were invented today, there is absolutely no way that any government in the world would let normal members of the public drive one."

Offline stan98tj

• Wheeling New England
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2012, 08:11:32 PM »

I guess the "I don't wheel that hard to need a big name winch right now" argument would be valid (in my opinion) if there weren't big name winch lines at affordable prices. So say you DO get a cheap winch, $200 or so and you do barely use it and it's great for pulling out dead animals, people, whatever and skidding over logs and it works every time etc...that's great, prob best $200 bucks you spent. BUT, there will come a time when you probably will want to start wheeling more, especially if you already are taking the jeep off the asphalt AND you probably will find your own spots OR find some other club that doesn't have such an "elitist" rule regarding "Locked 4x4 Only" (screw them) and at that point you don't want your winch being the weight that holds you back, meaning being on the fence about going because you feel like you would need a better winch. The second you buy a better winch, you can add in the cost of the original cheapo winch and you ended up spending what a high end winch would cost...bad fiscal decision in my opinion.
Oh, and let's say you DONT ever want to wheel more than you already are, let's say you hate the thought of more challenging obstacles for your jeep and you are happy just skidding over logs and using that winch for the tiny little pull over a tough log, or pull down from one if you get caught up..the day that winch fails you, the time, energy and $$ (all together or combination of those variables) spent getting you out will, in my opinion be again greater than the cost of a cheapo winch.

Lockers are pricey when you add in the labor cost. You could go cheap and go with an Aussie locker, but then once you crack open that diff most ppl will ask you why u didnt go ahead and regear. Lockers also won't get you home. Get a good brand winch, save up if you must. Your jeep will always be able to get you home and you will have the satisfaction of knowing that even if you don't readily wheel hard, you know that if you should one day try...that winch will be able to save you. Warn VR. Superwinch 9500 series (9k or 9.5k cant remember which they make) or higher end Smitty

Trackbar issue: I ran stock t-bar (still do actually) but i relocated the rear one because it came with the Rough COuntry kit. My front is a bit off, probably an inch or so, so i will probably get an adjustable at some point.
98 TJ 35"Maxxis Trep.Old Man Emu 2.5""+1"BL,IronMan Fab control arms,4.56gears,Ford 8.8+ARB,Currie/IronMan steering, WARN VR10,HP D30 sleeved+ RCV,Body Armor Rock Rails WISHLIST:TDi.Girlfriend hates it :) If you can read this don't flip me over i dont have any $$ left to fix it

Offline Tr00b

« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2012, 09:20:07 PM »
Stan, those are some awesome points. Thanks for the convincing. Now, the trick is to go out and buy it. I am selling my 1998 Ford Ranger soon and I'll probably buy it with those proceeds. I like your idea of the 10k one, because if I decide to eventually buy a pickup, it can be used for that, too.

Jeffy, would this trac bar not being adjusted cause the "swimming issue" (it feels like hydroplaning)  when I am in low traction situations? Tire wear? ETC? What do you suggest I do?

I am not too worked up about the local group excluding non-locked 4x4s. I guess their excuse is they slow everyone down too much... Lots of them are high dollar rigs on 35's and up, and of course a mouse on 31's, no lockers and no winch is going to make them wait to go through obstacles. Which I heard pisses them off. Most of their rigs probably don't work as hard as mine.

A Jeep club drove past my house last summer, maybe 20 jeeps all shined up, lifted high, loaded with people and the tops down.. It had to be 100 degrees and I was unloading wood out of the trailer in one of those "rustic moments of local color" covered in sweat, Jeep covered in mud... And they all drove past and looked at me like I was an idiot.

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2012, 10:46:07 PM »
Stan, those are some awesome points. Thanks for the convincing. Now, the trick is to go out and buy it. I am selling my 1998 Ford Ranger soon and I'll probably buy it with those proceeds. I like your idea of the 10k one, because if I decide to eventually buy a pickup, it can be used for that, too.

Jeffy, would this trac bar not being adjusted cause the "swimming issue" (it feels like hydroplaning)  when I am in low traction situations? Tire wear? ETC? What do you suggest I do?

I am not too worked up about the local group excluding non-locked 4x4s. I guess their excuse is they slow everyone down too much... Lots of them are high dollar rigs on 35's and up, and of course a mouse on 31's, no lockers and no winch is going to make them wait to go through obstacles. Which I heard pisses them off. Most of their rigs probably don't work as hard as mine.

A Jeep club drove past my house last summer, maybe 20 jeeps all shined up, lifted high, loaded with people and the tops down.. It had to be 100 degrees and I was unloading wood out of the trailer in one of those "rustic moments of local color" covered in sweat, Jeep covered in mud... And they all drove past and looked at me like I was an idiot.

Well you do want your rear axle to track inside your front axle but being offset shouldn't really do too much, other then look strange.    It basically preloads your suspension which isn't good.  Remove the bottom bolt and the track bar should shift over about an inch.  You can drill a new hole but do some research on it as I'm not 100% sure of the details.

As for the club.  Look for another club.  Most family oriented clubs welcome stock rigs.  Don't limit yourself to a Jeep club either.  It's always cool to see what the otherside is doing.

Offline stan98tj

• Wheeling New England
« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2012, 04:20:30 AM »

As for the club.  Look for another club.  Most family oriented clubs welcome stock rigs.  Don't limit yourself to a Jeep club either.  It's always cool to see what the otherside is doing.
Or go solo, no club. Find your own trails. Like a renegade......oh yeah  :weee:  :smokes: