Author Topic: Wrangler Toneau cover. Anyone ever get one on?  (Read 2339 times)

jwrape

Wrangler Toneau cover. Anyone ever get one on?
« on: September 20, 2006, 04:00:14 PM »
I bought my Toneau over a year ago and I have never been able to get it on. I put on side on and try to stretch it over to the other side and it still has more than 3 inches to go before it is even CLOSE to the channel to slide it into.
I just tried again for the second time and finally gave up after 30 minutes of trying.
Is there a secret or did I get the wrong toneau cover for my Wrangler or what. I am fed up. I really wanted to get it on there today. :evil:

Chad

« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2006, 04:55:16 PM »
never tried but I was at the carwash the other day and this guy in the bay next to me had a jeep with a tonou (spelling) cover and he was telling me it was a real pain in the ass to get on and off

chrisfranklin

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2006, 05:09:24 PM »
Probably just want to put the cover in the sun for a bit until it heats up; then, it'll stretch out a lot and bridge the gap.

My Bestop sail cloth soft top is the same way; I just leave it unsnapped until I've driven it around a couple of hours in the sun; heat allows the top to stretch and I seem to pick up extra inches of material from nowhere.

SMC4WD

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2006, 05:12:32 PM »
Ya, heat is the answer...

Put it on top of a dryer, not inside the dryer.  That'll help too.

wrangler387

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2006, 08:53:45 PM »
I have a tonneau on my jeep... it is the cheap one off ebay. It is a tight fit, but i just pull for all i'm worth (it's also been 90+ degrees outside so that probably helped).

Offline Bounty Hunter

• http://www.sija.org
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2006, 09:50:54 PM »
Don't forget some are designed to fit without softop hardware, and some fit over the hardware when it's folded down.  Check your application.

Mine stretches the last inch or two, it's tough to get on but doable.

wrangler387

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2006, 09:34:59 AM »
The one i have is for going over my soft-top hardware...

BigSkyYJ

« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2006, 10:09:24 AM »
Piece of cake.  My Dad tried and could never get his on, but he's an impatient SOB and gives up easily.  The first time I ever put one on, it took about 30 minutes, but ever since then I've been able to get even the new one for the SuperTop hardware on in about 10 minutes or so.

jwrape - Are you sure you have the right top?  If you have an OE top, there is a different Duster than if you have a SuperTop or something else.

BlackYJ

« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2006, 02:33:33 PM »
I bought a Bestop one for my YJ and I get mine on in about 5 mins, that I am having a heard time.

I know the covers are a little different between 1st and 2nd gen YJs, and a 1st gen tonneau would not fit on my 95 YJ

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2006, 06:00:35 PM »
There are early and late model covers.  The split is 1992 when the cage was changed.  There are also two different styles.  One is for hard top Jeeps.  The other is for soft top Jeeps that want to have the top hardware folded under the top.  You can put a w/o soft top hardware cover on a soft top Jeep if you take the soft top frame off.  If you put the w/ soft top hardware on a jeep without the soft top frame, it will be really baggy.
Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZNlr60GXH5OlKIFrT7P6mg
My Jeep: http://4bangerjp.com/forums/index.php?topic=2783.0
"If the motor car were invented today, there is absolutely no way that any government in the world would let normal members of the public drive one."

Offline chardrc

« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2006, 06:40:47 PM »
Quote from: "BigSkyYJ"
Piece of cake.  My Dad tried and could never get his on, but he's an impatient SOB and gives up easily.  The first time I ever put one on, it took about 30 minutes, but ever since then I've been able to get even the new one for the SuperTop hardware on in about 10 minutes or so.

lol you sound like a friend of mine that is alwasy complaing aboutn how lazy his dad and brother are..
1990 YJ 4cly, ax5, 2.5 inch BDS lift, 31 MTr\'s,  Powertrax-lockers all around, track-bars removed, boomerang shackles, warn m8000 winch, electric fan. [sold but not forgotten]

2007 jk Rubicon 2dr