Author Topic: regear labor 700?  (Read 1076 times)

tanbuffsidriva

regear labor 700?
« on: October 14, 2006, 09:38:02 AM »
so i talked to a shop and they want to charge 350 per differential to re-gear my jeep . this sounds like alot is it too much? all the other shops i called said they dont mess with re-gearing

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
regear labor 700?
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2006, 01:11:23 PM »
Well, I think it's a lot.  That's more then it costs of the gears themselves.  If you went with expensive Spicers or 4.88's you'll be looking around $400-450. I know a lot of shops will charge that and have you buy gears through them so they make even more money.  Places like 4WPW will charge around $1100-1600 for a complete job.

What kind of shops are you calling?  The best places to check for decent prices is a speed shop.  Not a import shop but an actual speed shop that focuses on hotrods and race cars.  They should be able to do it cheaper and faster the a 4x4 shop.  If you take the axles out of the Jeep, they might even cut you a deal since it won't take rack space and they'd be able to do it on a bench while makes things A LOT easier.

You might check with fellow Jeepers in local clubs.  Sometimes one of the memebers knowns someone or owns a shop.  The cheapest I've ehard gears done was for around $75 each end.  I'd jump on it if it was even $150 though.
Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZNlr60GXH5OlKIFrT7P6mg
My Jeep: http://4bangerjp.com/forums/index.php?topic=2783.0
"If the motor car were invented today, there is absolutely no way that any government in the world would let normal members of the public drive one."

tanbuffsidriva

regear labor 700?
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2006, 03:25:42 PM »
ive already got the gears. i payed 460 with both master install kits.

SMC4WD

regear labor 700?
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2006, 04:49:19 PM »
Where are you at?  What city/state??  

Do you think they're charging you that much because you didn't buy the R&P from them?

And what brand of R&P was it?  there are some brands that are a bear to set-up...