Author Topic: Fender flare question.  (Read 1261 times)

Offline dexetr30

• 4BangerJP.comŽ Donator
  • Aloha Mr. Hand!
Fender flare question.
« on: October 18, 2006, 05:35:22 PM »
I want to order the fender flares in the link below for my 93 yj. The desription says I have to cut the rear quarter panel and drill new mounting holes to make them fit. Can anyone tell me why and just how much has to be cut? Is this something I could do with a recip saw and a grinder? Any help is much appreciated and needed. I'd like to find some 7" flares that just bold on but I can't find any. Also, is the price listed for 2 or all 4 flares?

Here's the link:
http://www.4wd.com/productdetails.aspx?q=flare&pid=1160701
02 2.5.L automatic: 4.0L t.b., 4.0l air intake, K&N filter, Scream'n Demon coil, 8.5mm MSD Super Conductor plug wires, Stage 1 Jet Chip, 29" BFG all terrain KO's. Taurus E-fan, Hummer front bumper, Skyjacker high capacity trans pan, 48" hi-lift, Rubi susp w. 3/4" BB.

Offline chardrc

Fender flare question.
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2006, 06:13:31 PM »
you have to cut the back fender becasue the tjs have biger openings in the back.. and those fklares are for cj,jy,or tj..... more than that i do not know
1990 YJ 4cly, ax5, 2.5 inch BDS lift, 31 MTr\'s,  Powertrax-lockers all around, track-bars removed, boomerang shackles, warn m8000 winch, electric fan. [sold but not forgotten]

2007 jk Rubicon 2dr

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
Fender flare question.
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2006, 07:11:08 PM »
English version:  Those are TJ flares.  The TJ's rear openings are larger then the YJ/CJ's.  One problem with larger tires on a YJ is that they rub teh rear opening before the shackle is all the way out.  So with TJ flares you're able to cut back the rear fender to allow room for larger tires.  I believe you can also gain an inch or two at the top also.Basically line the flare up and trace out the inner lip and cut there.

Technically those aren't YJ flares though.
Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZNlr60GXH5OlKIFrT7P6mg
My Jeep: http://4bangerjp.com/forums/index.php?topic=2783.0
"If the motor car were invented today, there is absolutely no way that any government in the world would let normal members of the public drive one."

Krod

Fender flare question.
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2006, 09:14:55 PM »
You'll gain about 1" of wheelwell  if you cut those out.  When I did my TJ flares on my YJ, I lined them up so that I only cut the back half of the wheelwell.  As the shackle flexes backward, the tire moves backwards as well (slightly).  Lots of guys cut their wells evenly, but then they still rub at the rear corner.  

I did mine with a 4" angle grinder and a good cutoff wheel.  Then ground the edges smooth and prep'd and painted them with some rust-tough where the flares are.  

My advice for anyone doing a TJ style flare on a YJ is to clamp the flare in place, mark your lines and holes with a sharpie, then remove the flare and drill the new holes

Offline dexetr30

• 4BangerJP.comŽ Donator
  • Aloha Mr. Hand!
Fender flare question.
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2006, 06:32:55 AM »
Excellent... I went and compared the difference between my tj and rear yj flares and the cutting will be no problem. Making the cuts will get rid of some of the rust that is around the rear wheels on the body. So that's a plus. :D
02 2.5.L automatic: 4.0L t.b., 4.0l air intake, K&N filter, Scream'n Demon coil, 8.5mm MSD Super Conductor plug wires, Stage 1 Jet Chip, 29" BFG all terrain KO's. Taurus E-fan, Hummer front bumper, Skyjacker high capacity trans pan, 48" hi-lift, Rubi susp w. 3/4" BB.

Liljeepz

Fender flare question.
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2006, 04:39:56 PM »
English version: Those are TJ flares.

:roflol:  :english:

Offline dexetr30

• 4BangerJP.comŽ Donator
  • Aloha Mr. Hand!
Fender flare question.
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2006, 05:01:21 PM »
Quote from: "Liljeepz"
English version: Those are TJ flares.

:roflol:  :english:

chard... I really feel for ya man. :wink:  Thank god I use spellcheck. I don't wanna type and spell like some people talk when they're drunk. :lol:

Just messin'n with you chard.

Liljeepz

Fender flare question.
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2006, 06:35:35 PM »
Nice pic dex!  :roflol:

Don't feel bad Chardrc, I was as bad if not worse than you are... seven years of playing games that require you to type to other people helped me out a lot, and spell check finishes the job.
My biggest problem now is getting the "rite" spelling "four" the correct word. Spell check doesnt check for that yet! :brick:

Offline dexetr30

• 4BangerJP.comŽ Donator
  • Aloha Mr. Hand!
Fender flare question.
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2006, 08:13:02 PM »
Quote from: "Liljeepz"
Nice pic dex!  :roflol:

My biggest problem now is getting the "rite" spelling "four" the correct word. Spell check doesnt check for that yet! :brick:

I have the same problem Liljeepz. I often find myself searching for the right/write/rite spelling. Especially for their, they're and there.  :oops:

Offline chardrc

Fender flare question.
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2006, 09:19:05 PM »
my problem is i end up having 15 minites to check whats up on the forums and there are 100 new posts so when i post something i type way to fast.
1990 YJ 4cly, ax5, 2.5 inch BDS lift, 31 MTr\'s,  Powertrax-lockers all around, track-bars removed, boomerang shackles, warn m8000 winch, electric fan. [sold but not forgotten]

2007 jk Rubicon 2dr