Author Topic: Weird things happening with gas pedal  (Read 830 times)

dunklervogel

Weird things happening with gas pedal
« on: January 31, 2007, 01:54:10 AM »
First off would like to state I have a new engine and new clutch.  This "issue" has been happening both before and after I had those installed so I'm pretty sure niether has anything to do with this.

Two things here.. similar but not quite the same.  The first happens more often while the second is more rare.  

First is: Sometimes when I'm giving it gas to accelerate I hear a "click" and can actually feel the click with my foot on the gas pedal.  After it clicks once things are normal and I continue driving normally with no problems.

Second: Sometimes, though very rare, it'll actually keep clicking until I lift my foot off the gas (worried if I keep holding it down I'll break something)  While it is clicking I don't seem to be getting any throttle response at all and it is like I'm not even giving it any gas.

In both instances.. it is when I'm accelerating and have the pedal down quite a ways (not to the floor though)

Just wondering if any of you guys have had,seen, or heard of this or experienced something similar.  It is not a major issue.. and I haven't noticed it getting any worse.  Just more curious what it is if anything I guess.

Offline chardrc

« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2007, 06:15:14 AM »
this is just a guess. but id say it has to do with whatever servomotor / sensor they have that the gas pedal goes into for the computer to read how much gass you want the motor to get.
1990 YJ 4cly, ax5, 2.5 inch BDS lift, 31 MTr\'s,  Powertrax-lockers all around, track-bars removed, boomerang shackles, warn m8000 winch, electric fan. [sold but not forgotten]

2007 jk Rubicon 2dr

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2007, 11:59:35 AM »
Quote from: "chardrc"
this is just a guess. but id say it has to do with whatever servomotor / sensor they have that the gas pedal goes into for the computer to read how much gass you want the motor to get.

Jeeps don't have throttle-by-wire or servo motors.  The PCM knows how much throttle is applied by monitoring the throttle plate position with the TPS.

I'm not sure what the clicking could be.  The throttle cable might be binding or hitting against something.  Is the clicking rhythmic?  When exactly is it happening?  All speeds or a range of speed?  Or can you get it to happen with the Jeep parked?  Can you hear the noise?  Are you sure, it's the throttle?
Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZNlr60GXH5OlKIFrT7P6mg
My Jeep: http://4bangerjp.com/forums/index.php?topic=2783.0
"If the motor car were invented today, there is absolutely no way that any government in the world would let normal members of the public drive one."

dunklervogel

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2007, 12:07:48 PM »
I'm not sure it is the throttle but I can feel the clicking with my foot.  It is clicking rhythmically and usually the repeated clicking is when I'm just taking off (low speeds) and happens after I give it gas after shifting into second gear (for example).  When it clicks once it is usually anytime no matter what speed.. I just have to be accelerating, or trying to accelerate.  I haven't had it happen when the jeep is sitting still.

Tall Boy

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2007, 01:45:13 PM »
do it with the vehicle off and repeat it till you find the problem. No sense driving a vehicle with symptoms of a bad throttle.