Author Topic: TJ Door surronds on a YJ?  (Read 970 times)

Jeeper736

TJ Door surronds on a YJ?
« on: May 23, 2007, 03:58:35 PM »
Has anyone tried this?  I have a set of hard doors I would like to run with my soft top, but my top uses the "pointed" style tops.  I was wondering if I could modify the TJ style surrounds to fill the gap left by the rounded corners of the hard doors.  If not, anyone have any suggestions (other than buy a new softtop:)). 

Jesse-James

Re: TJ Door surronds on a YJ?
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2007, 05:13:35 PM »
Buy a used soft top?

Jeeper736

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2007, 06:05:06 PM »
No, the soft top that came on the YJ when I bought it is the pointed style.  I just picked up a nice set of full hard doors CHEAP and I was trying to think of a way to use 'em with the soft top I have if I wanted to. 

I do HATE HATE HATE the soft top, so maybe I will just sell it (since its in good shape).  I hate all the zipping of windows ect ect. I live in WI where the weather changes day to day so I want to go another route.  I may just buck up and spend the $$$ but its hard to replace stuff that works just for the sake of replacing it. A Best Top half top is likely in my future thanks to your input Jesse-James.

I was just curious if anyone had tried this.  Thanks guys and gals.

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2007, 06:15:06 PM »
No, the soft top that came on the YJ when I bought it is the pointed style.  I just picked up a nice set of full hard doors CHEAP and I was trying to think of a way to use 'em with the soft top I have if I wanted to. 

I do HATE HATE HATE the soft top, so maybe I will just sell it (since its in good shape).  I hate all the zipping of windows ect ect. I live in WI where the weather changes day to day so I want to go another route.  I may just buck up and spend the $$$ but its hard to replace stuff that works just for the sake of replacing it. A Best Top half top is likely in my future thanks to your input Jesse-James.

I was just curious if anyone had tried this.  Thanks guys and gals.

The soft top will work with the doors, but you will need to figure out a way to cover the gap in the upper corner wile still being able to fold the top down. I don't think it would be hard.
Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZNlr60GXH5OlKIFrT7P6mg
My Jeep: http://4bangerjp.com/forums/index.php?topic=2783.0
"If the motor car were invented today, there is absolutely no way that any government in the world would let normal members of the public drive one."

Jeeper736

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2007, 12:34:21 PM »
Yeah I was thinking the TJ door surronds could be modified to fill that gap.  Upon further review, they are pretty expensive and I would rather put that cash towards a new top anyway.  I think I will fab something up.  I am thinking a small plate to fit the gap that could be secured to the aluminum window frame using some wing nuts and a few holes drilled in the rail.  This way, it would be semi-easy to remove when I want to put the top down...turn a few wingnuts and good to go.....