Author Topic: Got a ? about a shake in the front end on my 04 TJ  (Read 748 times)

streetmaster

Got a ? about a shake in the front end on my 04 TJ
« on: June 08, 2007, 11:01:08 PM »
My 04 SE model TJ, is starting to develope a shake in the front end when i hit bumps in the road. I've been driving the jeep for a year now, which seemed to be a lot tighter in the front steering when i got the jeep. I've had the jeep to the dealer for survice, i've even done the survice myself, and every thing seemed real tight to me. The jeep only has 27000 miles on it, but has a pesty shake in the steering wheel when i go over the cracks in the road that feel like speed bumps. The tires are in good shape, but did shake a little between 45-55 after they were rotated, so i re-rotated them back to ware the were, and the shaking stopped. But the front end still shakes thru the steering wheel when i it the little speed bumps in the road. I want to jump on this problem before it gets worse.

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
Re: Got a ? about a shake in the front end on my 04 TJ
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2007, 11:45:15 PM »
Start with the basics.

• Loose or worn Trackbar mount
  • Alignment
  • Unbalanced tires
  • Steering Stabilizer
  • Ball joints

Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZNlr60GXH5OlKIFrT7P6mg
My Jeep: http://4bangerjp.com/forums/index.php?topic=2783.0
"If the motor car were invented today, there is absolutely no way that any government in the world would let normal members of the public drive one."

GreenBayjeeper

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2007, 07:54:46 PM »
Last night I did a bunch of much needed maintainence to my '98.  Included in this work was putting a new Steering Stabilizer in.
At about 50mph, if I wasn't accelerating or decelerating I was getting a real bad shake on the front end.  Bumps did it a little, but mostly the 50mph death shake.
The old stabilizer was just shot.  One finger and I could move the piston in or out.
It was like $70 bucks, but it seems to have taken care of the problem.
Just a thought for ya.

Liljeepz

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2007, 06:10:27 PM »
It was like $70 bucks

:yikes:

That's a lot, I think I payed $25 for mine.

GreenBayjeeper

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2007, 09:24:37 PM »
Yeah, funny story.  By funny, I of course mean infuriating... :brick:

I got a Trail Master one that I had to order from the Zone. Auto Zone.  A kid I work with has a mid nineties Cherokee, and had to get one.  He went to Advanced Autoparts.  $30, in stock.  It's a generic one, but Baker Foxtrot Delta man!  For forty bucks less, I don't need the TM sticker!

Needless to say, I'm checking prices more closely from now on.  I used to feel pretty comfy at the Zone, Auto Zone.  Now I feel dirty.  Not even a reach around. :'(

Plus I was trying to get a front differential cover gasket.  I bought one for a 35 and for a 44, since I couldn't find the stamp on the housing.  NEITHER ONE FIT!!!! I used seal goo instead.

Stupid Zone, Auto Zone.

Offline Elyod

• Sedona is red
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2007, 04:03:54 PM »
Your story made me laugh.  I hate autozone.  I never go in there unless I know exactly what part I need and what it looks like and how much it should cost.