Author Topic: Whats so bad about pavement ends flip top?  (Read 1272 times)

huntingbuck101

Whats so bad about pavement ends flip top?
« on: June 03, 2007, 10:22:20 PM »
Ive heard to stay clear of pavement ends but after looking at the Bestop sunrider cost of $775.00 shipped to Fliptop $474.00 shipped. I was think on how little the top would be used. I have a hard top that would be on it for the winter. I really want a soft top for days in Minnesota that start off looking sunny and 2 hours later is a heavy down pore so most of the time it would be down unless it was raining. I do believe you get what you pay for but how bad is the flip top?

chrisfranklin

Re: Whats so bad about pavement ends flip top?
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2007, 11:15:30 PM »
Know its kind of trashy looking, but I sometimes keep my sailcloth top on and then get a free "fliptop" effect out of it using a couple of bungie cords.  Just unsnap the front section of the top from the rack and pull the plastic strip out of the metal channel.  Get inside the Jeep, pull the top inside and let it rap underneath the roll bar.  Then stretch/hold it in place with a couple of bungie cords - the metal hook pieces on the cords can hold the top in place by getting purchase on the top's plastic channel piece. You should be able to keep the top from obstructing most of your rear-view.

Its not perfect - the top gathers a bit on the sides of the roll bar (since bar is narrower vs. the softtop).  And, it doesn't exactly look factory.  But, it does give you a nice flip-top, open-air effect.

Chad

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2007, 11:30:28 PM »
what did you say mr. Franklin?

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2007, 11:35:51 PM »
From what I remember Pavement Ends is Bestops Value line.  The tops don't use Sailcloth and are more like the OEM tops.  Although they might have sailcloth now. 
Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZNlr60GXH5OlKIFrT7P6mg
My Jeep: http://4bangerjp.com/forums/index.php?topic=2783.0
"If the motor car were invented today, there is absolutely no way that any government in the world would let normal members of the public drive one."

Steve97TJ

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2007, 02:26:57 PM »
I owned the PE flip top and i regretted buying it as soon as it came in. Its not built well and the frame broke shortly after putting it on. Also the material was very crappy. I ran mine for a little bit over a year and it was not even runable whenever i took it off.

ballzy

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2007, 09:51:07 PM »
My Jeep came with one on it when i bought it a couple years ago.  I haven't had any problems out of it.

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2007, 10:18:34 PM »
Also keep in mind that Bestop had some quality issues in the late 90's, too.  My OEM top lasted over 10 years before it started splitting seems.  Some TJ's has seems break in a couple years.
Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZNlr60GXH5OlKIFrT7P6mg
My Jeep: http://4bangerjp.com/forums/index.php?topic=2783.0
"If the motor car were invented today, there is absolutely no way that any government in the world would let normal members of the public drive one."

cringb

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2007, 10:00:14 AM »
I've got one these tops on my wifes jeep and I have mixed reviews.    Pavement ends is just Bestop's lower cost divsion and you get what you pay for!     First off the customer service was great, the top had a small rip it in when it came in and they sent a new one right away direct from Pavement Ends.     The flip feature is really handy!!   I can flip back the front section in 15 seconds.   You can do it sitting at a stop light.      The overall quality is average, I think the material will hold up fine for on-road useage, I think it will easily rip in the woods, no problems yet but it's only been used offroad a few times.    Again it's like $200 less than the Bestop premium top.     The thing I don't like is that folding down the whole top is tough.   She has a TJ and the factory top folds pretty quickly, but the Pavement Ends replacment comes with a frame like the YJs which are much more difficult to fold.   

In the end I would get another one these tops for my wifes' jeep anyday, because she won't fold the entire top down on her own, but she is fine folding the front half back.    On my jeep I'll stick with the OEM style, because I like being to put the entire top down quicker.

Offline Mozman68

• Poseur ExtraordinaireŽ
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2007, 11:33:48 AM »
The thing I don't like is that folding down the whole top is tough.   She has a TJ and the factory top folds pretty quickly, but the Pavement Ends replacment comes with a frame like the YJs which are much more difficult to fold. 

That's true with the high end supertop as well....I never fold mine down...just undo the six snaps and pull the whole thing off. 

One nice thing about OEM...more like a convertible.
2009 Audi S5....what....its 4wd...sort of....