Author Topic: The Red Rocket lives  (Read 703 times)

jetcracker82

The Red Rocket lives
« on: June 21, 2007, 10:34:19 AM »
I have a 1990 YJ.  A while back it started running like crap and I was getting a ridiculous amount of blow by.  Not to mention my trans was dying fast.  So I knew I needed to do something.  Well due to Uncle Sam’s operational requirements I knew I didn’t have time to do it myself.  So I broke down and took it to a great shop in Oceanside.

At first glance the shop told me they would replace the motor with a rebuilt one.  I can’t remember what the company’s name was that they got the block from.  They also said they would send my tranny to a shop down the street.

Long story short about a week or so later they call me up and tell me everything is done.  Come to find out the tranny shop had to work on my tranny twice.  The first time they left some stuff out and it ran like crap so they had to go back in a put what ever they left out back in.  So I pick up the Jeep and it runs great for a week or so.  Well after about 600 miles (they came pretty quick I was going through a course for the Marine Corps and it was 32 miles away.  So every day I put 60 + miles on the new motor) I noticed that when I shifted from 3rd to 4th my tranny would grind.  It only did it when the RPM’s were up around 3k or so. 

So after I was done with the course I took the Jeep back to the shop and told them what was up.  By this time the new motor was running like ass.  To me it sounded like an exhaust leak because some times with the old motor the down pipe would come off the exhaust manifold and it would run rough.  So that’s all I thought it was.  After a check up by the shop they confirmed that the tranny was jacked up but they also told me my exhaust manifold was cracked.  That didn’t really surprise me seeing as it is a Jeep and that’s a common fault.  Apparently the first exhaust mani they ordered didn’t fit so they went with and older design manifold the only thing is it looks more like a header and supposed to perform more like one.  Naturally I didn’t mind the upgrade.  After another week of no ride I finally got it back.

All said and done I have a new motor that runs great, a rebuilt transmission that feels new and a brand new exhaust manifold.  The Red Rocket hums now.  It feels like its straight off the show room floor.  Keep in mind it doesn’t look the part but it does feel nice now.  I can actually hold freeway speed up hill now.  I’m still waiting to see if there will be an increase in gas mileage.  I just got it back last night.

Don’t ask me how much I spent because I don’t want to talk about it.  How ever the shop I took it to didn’t completely rape me in the butt.  I felt they were pretty fair with me but then again I made sure to bring the Jeep back to them right at 500 miles so they could tighten everything up and I’m going to go back to them when I reach my first 5k miles oil change just to keep that consumer/mechanic relationship healthy.  If I show I care then they my be more likely to care about me and my best interest.

I know this was kinda long but I felt I needed to share.  I’ll try to get some pics this weekend after a proper cleaning and waxing.  Cheers.

P.S.  For those of you in the Oceanside, Camp Pendleton area.  If you need good work done and don’t have the time to do it yourself go talk to Gary at “Oceanside Brake” if you need a number here it is  760-722-6600.  I think Gary said they have like 30+ years of experience and it shows.  Now the tranny shop…well I’ll let you decide on that one. :beers:

gomi

Re: The Red Rocket lives
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2007, 01:30:22 PM »
glad you got everything sorted out.

Offline Bounty Hunter

• http://www.sija.org
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2007, 02:02:28 PM »
Make sure they're using the right gear oil in the tranny, that it is NOT the factory recommended GL5.  Get a quality synthetic like Redline MT90 if you want the tranny to last.

The factory recommended GL5 is corrosive to the soft brass synchronizers of the AX5 transmission, and your shifts will get gradually harder.

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2007, 02:04:51 PM »
Make sure they're using the right gear oil in the tranny, that it is NOT the factory recommended GL5.  Get a quality synthetic like Redline MT90 if you want the tranny to last.

The factory recommended GL5 is corrosive to the soft brass synchronizers of the AX5 transmission, and your shifts will get gradually harder.

These day's it's probably GL5/MT.  GL5 was reformulated years ago.
Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZNlr60GXH5OlKIFrT7P6mg
My Jeep: http://4bangerjp.com/forums/index.php?topic=2783.0
"If the motor car were invented today, there is absolutely no way that any government in the world would let normal members of the public drive one."