Author Topic: whats the perfect lift kit?  (Read 779 times)

Quyjeeper

whats the perfect lift kit?
« on: July 18, 2007, 09:13:37 PM »
IM looking at running 31-31 inch mud tires on my jeep and want to do a 2-4 inch lift on it. i already have a 1 inch body lift installed.

What im asking is which liftkit has a more responsive ride. its ok if its a bit springy,i hate how the factory leaf springs are because the bump stops only lay about 1 1/2 inch suspended from the front axle housings...

my jeeps a 1990 YJ that is lightened as can be. it has no powersteering or aircondition. so i want soft springs.  and what are good shocks? im running superlifts at the moment and dont feel much difference between the monroe sensatrac and superlift superide shock. the stock suspension just has to much binding to tell.. honestly i drove my jeep without the shock absorbers just to dick around and it wasnt really all that bad... it was a bit....boaty though, haha.

SO PLEASE GIVE ME SOME HELP!

Oilsmoke

Re: whats the perfect lift kit?
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2007, 10:03:35 PM »
He is my 2 cents.

I just installed 31x10.5x15 MT on my 92 yj I have a light jeep. I run 2.5 easyride Skyjacker & Hydro shock. It rides real smooth . as far as tire & lift , fit is Good But i do plan a mild shackle lift .5''  SO with your 1" BL you should look great & ride great.

Skyjacker spring are soft so don't overload the jeep or they can sag. (some claims I have read ).

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
Re: whats the perfect lift kit?
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2007, 11:04:30 PM »
There is no perfect lift kit.  To get close to prefect you would need a custom leaf pack built to your Jeeps weight.  Honestly, I wouldn't run any lift for 31's.  Clear the fenders by swapping the flares to TJ flares and trim 2" out of the fenders.  Then if you really want a bit more lift go with some .5" lift shackles.  It doesn't matter that your bump stops are close to the axle tube, most of your suspension travel will be down.  Get swaybar disconnects and unbolt your trackbars.  You will need to relocate your brakelines so they don't become limiting straps.  Some better shocks would help but aren't that necessary unless yours are shot.

Probably the best 2.5" kit is the Old Man Emu though.
Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZNlr60GXH5OlKIFrT7P6mg
My Jeep: http://4bangerjp.com/forums/index.php?topic=2783.0
"If the motor car were invented today, there is absolutely no way that any government in the world would let normal members of the public drive one."