Author Topic: Steering wheel cocked to the right  (Read 2161 times)

93yjFirstJeep

Steering wheel cocked to the right
« on: August 02, 2009, 10:58:59 AM »
The steering wheel on my 93 yj is cocked about a quarter turn clockwise when im driving straight. Is there any adjustment i can make to correct this? Could this be due to my 2.75" shackle lift that came with the car?

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
Re: Steering wheel cocked to the right
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2009, 01:18:17 PM »
it's due to your shackle lift.  You can easily correct it without having to resort to an alignment.  Look at the front of your Jeep.  infront of the axle is a rod (draglink)that connects the steering box to another rod (tie-rod) that runs between the tires.  Loosen the two clamps on the drag-link and twist the rod.  Make sure you're tires are straight and unlock the steering wheel before hand.  Once the wheel is centered then tighten the clams and you're done.
Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZNlr60GXH5OlKIFrT7P6mg
My Jeep: http://4bangerjp.com/forums/index.php?topic=2783.0
"If the motor car were invented today, there is absolutely no way that any government in the world would let normal members of the public drive one."

Offline jfrabat

• Gargantuan Mango Tree Mechanic®
  • Finally USING the Jeep!
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2009, 04:21:03 PM »
Like Jeffy said, you can fix this by an alignment.

I dont know if you will have the same issues as me, but every time I get it aligned, they dont get it just right becasue after the machine says it is align, if you turn the wheel to both sides (jerk it around), and bring it back to center, the machine will say now it is not aligned.  What I do is that I set a mark (in something I can easily remove later, like a small piece of tape) on where the center is for the Jeep to drive straight, then go home, and park it with the wheels in the center, and then do as Jeffy said ("Loosen the two clamps on the drag-link and twist the rod", "unlock the steering wheel before hand") until the wheel is where it should be, and then tighten everything up nice and tight.

Felipe
'94 YJ 2.5L with 4" RE lift, Superwinch EPi9.0, FoMoCo e-Fan, SD30 and SD35 w/ARB-5.13, 165A alt., 33" BFG KM2 on 15" AR wheels, Sony sound system, Pavement Ends Hardtop, Hydroboost

Offline Mozman68

• Poseur Extraordinaire®
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2009, 05:27:28 PM »
Actually, Jeffy said you do NOT need to go for an alignment....

One of my favorite pictures:

Just do what Jeffy said...
2009 Audi S5....what....its 4wd...sort of....

Offline jfrabat

• Gargantuan Mango Tree Mechanic®
  • Finally USING the Jeep!
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2009, 05:46:35 PM »
Actually, Jeffy said you do NOT need to go for an alignment....

One of my favorite pictures:

Just do what Jeffy said...

Moz,

the pic link is broken...

Felipe
'94 YJ 2.5L with 4" RE lift, Superwinch EPi9.0, FoMoCo e-Fan, SD30 and SD35 w/ARB-5.13, 165A alt., 33" BFG KM2 on 15" AR wheels, Sony sound system, Pavement Ends Hardtop, Hydroboost

Offline Mozman68

• Poseur Extraordinaire®
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2009, 09:25:13 PM »
hmmm.....I see it on mine...

Here....

Offline Bounty Hunter

• http://www.sija.org
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2009, 09:40:07 PM »
Lengthen the draglink to straighten the steering wheel.

Then replace the shackles with stock height units and install a real lift.

93yjFirstJeep

« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2009, 10:17:38 PM »
i would buy a better lift, but im only 18 and about to go to college so thats not financially possible. if i do loosen the drag link though, wont it need an alignment?

Offline Mozman68

• Poseur Extraordinaire®
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2009, 08:21:59 AM »
i would buy a better lift, but im only 18 and about to go to college so thats not financially possible. if i do loosen the drag link though, wont it need an alignment?

Nope...loosen the two collars you see on the pitman arm side (just to the right of where the drag link arrow is pointing).

Then use a pipe wrench or the like to turn the sleeve to either extend or tighten the link.  This will turn the pitman arm/steering wheel only...this does not affect the alignment.

Like Jeffy said...make sure the wheels are straight when you do this...I always seemed to end up being off just slightly either because my wheels weren't really as straight as I thought or because of play in the steering wheel.

I think it is helpful if you can drive straight for more than a few feet and then get out and adjust.  That way you know that both the wheels are straight AND the steering wheel is in the "straight" position.

It doesn't take that many turns of the collar to adjust the steering wheel, so it will help if you have someone watching the steering wheel to make sure that a) it is turning the right way and b) when it has reached the correct position.

Don't forget to tighten the drag link collar when done.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2009, 08:22:32 AM by Mozman68 »

93yjFirstJeep

« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2009, 06:22:32 PM »
So i attemted to adjust my steering wheel today, turns out i managed to twist the wrong thing and throw off my alignment so i had to get it aligned anyway, $80 later  :asshat:  :brick:

i just looked for the collar like i saw in the picture, but that pic was from a tj and i have a yj where that collar was on the wrong rod

Offline neale_rs

« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2009, 07:53:22 AM »
Actually almost the whole drag link on a YJ is a collar.  Then there is a short collar on the tie rod.  It always seems to me that adjusting the drag link on a TJ (on a YJ it is not a problem) could throw off the alignment, making the drag link longer would reduce toe in.  Maybe it's not enough to make a difference but by the geometry that is what would happen.
'95 YJ, 33 x 12.5 mud tires, RE 4.5 ED lift, Atlas 4 speed, rear D44, ARBs front and rear, 4.56 gears, 8000# winch

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2009, 12:53:43 PM »
Actually almost the whole drag link on a YJ is a collar.  Then there is a short collar on the tie rod.  It always seems to me that adjusting the drag link on a TJ (on a YJ it is not a problem) could throw off the alignment, making the drag link longer would reduce toe in.  Maybe it's not enough to make a difference but by the geometry that is what would happen.
That's the problem with TJ's and the inverted Y setup.  If you lift them, they require an alignment since the drag-link is also a part of the tie-rod end.  It's also why, I didn't put up that diagram since it would have been a bit confusing to some. :wall:
Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZNlr60GXH5OlKIFrT7P6mg
My Jeep: http://4bangerjp.com/forums/index.php?topic=2783.0
"If the motor car were invented today, there is absolutely no way that any government in the world would let normal members of the public drive one."

Offline Mozman68

• Poseur Extraordinaire®
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2009, 12:50:29 PM »
That's the problem with TJ's and the inverted Y setup.  If you lift them, they require an alignment since the drag-link is also a part of the tie-rod end.  It's also why, I didn't put up that diagram since it would have been a bit confusing to some. :wall:

bah...so you need an alignment when you get your TJ lifted...big whoop...at least my steering wheel is straight... :twofingers:

93yjFirstJeep

« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2009, 07:01:17 PM »
bah...so you need an alignment when you get your TJ lifted...big whoop...at least my steering wheel is straight... :twofingers:

Well thats just one way that us yj owners know we have the superior jeep 8)