Author Topic: Shackled!  (Read 1397 times)

Offline chrisfranklin

• 4BangerJP.comŪ Donator
Shackled!
« on: August 05, 2009, 10:44:49 PM »
I thought I ordered front/rear 1" shackles about a month ago; the rears were boomerangs.  I get the rear boomerangs and they look ok. 

After waiting around for a couple of weeks I started to figure out that I must not have ever ordered the fronts (no financial record of the order and like a dumb@$$ I seem to have deleted the  email receipt I could have sworn I had received).  So I do another order for standard 1" shackles.  But I ended up with this situation which I wasn't expecting.

I have rear boomerangs that are 3/8" thick and then I have these new standard versions for the front that are apparently 1/4" thick (thickness wasn't mentioned and should have asked).  Both sets have poly bushings, greasable and Grade 8 hardware.   I am inclined to send these 1/4" standard shackles back.  You think it matters all that much?  Not having much luck finding 1" lift standard shackles 3/8" thick with grade 8 hardware.  :brick:

Top shackle is rear boomerang, bottom is front shackle

(And you coil spring guys can receive my most sincere  :twofingers:)   kidding  :lol:
« Last Edit: August 05, 2009, 10:49:53 PM by chrisfranklin »
'94 YJ S 5spd, Borla Exhaust, CarSound Cat., PS Ceramic-coated Headers, Airraid intake, 62mm TB, Intake Manifold bored/ceramic-coated, 19lb injectors, Sharp's Adj. FPR, MeanGreen Starter, D30 Aussie locker, 31" Destination MTs, Warn XD9000, Cibie headlights, armor

Offline jfrabat

• Gargantuan Mango Tree MechanicŪ
  • Finally USING the Jeep!
Re: Shackled!
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2009, 11:21:03 PM »
It's kind of odd that they make the REAR thicker; most of the weight (engine, winch...) is in the front of a Jeep!
'94 YJ 2.5L with 4" RE lift, Superwinch EPi9.0, FoMoCo e-Fan, SD30 and SD35 w/ARB-5.13, 165A alt., 33" BFG KM2 on 15" AR wheels, Sony sound system, Pavement Ends Hardtop, Hydroboost

Offline chrisfranklin

• 4BangerJP.comŪ Donator
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2009, 11:25:50 PM »
It's two different brands.  A few minutes ago I ordered some Rough Country 1" inch standard versions that are supposed to be 3/8 like the boomerangs -- which I also believe are Rough Country.  So the 1/4" setup is going back
'94 YJ S 5spd, Borla Exhaust, CarSound Cat., PS Ceramic-coated Headers, Airraid intake, 62mm TB, Intake Manifold bored/ceramic-coated, 19lb injectors, Sharp's Adj. FPR, MeanGreen Starter, D30 Aussie locker, 31" Destination MTs, Warn XD9000, Cibie headlights, armor

Offline jfrabat

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2009, 11:59:41 AM »
It's two different brands.  A few minutes ago I ordered some Rough Country 1" inch standard versions that are supposed to be 3/8 like the boomerangs -- which I also believe are Rough Country.  So the 1/4" setup is going back

When  got my boomerangs, I ordered the matching front set from Currie.

These came with greasable bolts and poly bushings.  I am very happy with them.

Felipe
'94 YJ 2.5L with 4" RE lift, Superwinch EPi9.0, FoMoCo e-Fan, SD30 and SD35 w/ARB-5.13, 165A alt., 33" BFG KM2 on 15" AR wheels, Sony sound system, Pavement Ends Hardtop, Hydroboost

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2009, 12:57:55 PM »
The standard is 3/8" and 1/4".  My fronts are 1/4" and the rears are 3/8", it's not a big deal.
Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZNlr60GXH5OlKIFrT7P6mg
My Jeep: http://4bangerjp.com/forums/index.php?topic=2783.0
"If the motor car were invented today, there is absolutely no way that any government in the world would let normal members of the public drive one."

Offline chrisfranklin

• 4BangerJP.comŪ Donator
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2009, 02:08:45 PM »
I didn't think it was that big a deal.  I was planning on refraining from using the added center bolt for these front/rear 1" shackles, so it seemed like the thicker 3/8 version was the way to go. 

Offline Bounty Hunter

• http://www.sija.org
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2009, 10:43:33 PM »
It's kind of odd that they make the REAR thicker; most of the weight (engine, winch...) is in the front of a Jeep!
Yet when wheeling the majority of the weight transfer is to the rear.

Offline jfrabat

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2009, 02:27:14 PM »
@jfrabat
Those front set from Currie looks good...
How much did you pay for those?

I bought those a LONG time ago!  I have no idea what I paid for them...

Yet when wheeling the majority of the weight transfer is to the rear.

That makes sense...

Offline rcrovo1

• scuba lessons by me
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2009, 02:03:32 PM »
Hey yjjeeper i have a set of standard currie front shackles that i would be willing to let go for 50.00 shipped to cont usa. i replaced with a set of curries tow shackles so i can flat tow my jeep. The hardware and bushings are all new as i reused the hardware and bushings when i installed the tow shackles.
1995 YJ 2.5L, 4in RE susp., 33x12.50 mtr, 4.0L TB, TB spacer, 4.88 gears, borla header, magnaflow catback, highflow intake, warn 9000#, lock-right up front

Banshee600

« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2009, 04:37:36 PM »
What is a tow shackel look like ? I'm looking for shackels and I also flat tow mine

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2009, 10:57:44 PM »
What is a tow shackel look like ? I'm looking for shackels and I also flat tow mine
Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZNlr60GXH5OlKIFrT7P6mg
My Jeep: http://4bangerjp.com/forums/index.php?topic=2783.0
"If the motor car were invented today, there is absolutely no way that any government in the world would let normal members of the public drive one."