Author Topic: Sailcloth tops and quiet  (Read 1258 times)

Offline chrisfranklin

• 4BangerJP.comŪ Donator
Sailcloth tops and quiet
« on: January 04, 2012, 10:15:18 PM »
This is kind of a follow-up to the recent Soft Top Headliner post by JohnnyO

---

I bought one of the Bestop Sailcloth tops w/tinted windows new in late '02 and I'm still using it in '12.  Was expecting maybe 4-6 years out of it; surprised it's lasted since I haven't given much thought to taking care of it.

Only failure is that one of the zipper "stops" on the top right rear plastic window came off somehow.  Still able to zip the window, but the zipper pull tab will come off the zipper if unzipped all the way. 

Big selling point with the Sailcloth tops was/is "they're quieter."  Maybe so, but mine still made and makes a lot of noise. 

Last year, I was looking for ways to quiet it down.  Bestop didn't have a headliner for YJs, and I probably would have bought one of those if they did.  Might have instead bought the one sold by previously named, California Tops.  Anyway, if those come on the market I'll pick one up. 

Did get around to buying one of the Top Props (know you can make one for nill, but work was getting in the way).  The prop works pretty well.  I had to really jack the thing up to make sure that the front portion of the soft top didn't flap at highway speeds 55-75. 

Anyway: 

Sailcloth top -- Lasts awhile and didn't seem to need much care; never seemed particularly "quiet."
Top Prop --  Will stop the top flapping above driver; really have to crank on it to get it in position; will tear up your rollbar padding if not careful.
YJ Softtop headliner -- I'd buy one of those too.

'94 YJ S 5spd, Borla Exhaust, CarSound Cat., PS Ceramic-coated Headers, Airraid intake, 62mm TB, Intake Manifold bored/ceramic-coated, 19lb injectors, Sharp's Adj. FPR, MeanGreen Starter, D30 Aussie locker, 31" Destination MTs, Warn XD9000, Cibie headlights, armor

Offline Bounty Hunter

• http://www.sija.org
Re: Sailcloth tops and quiet
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2012, 06:03:53 AM »
When does the front of your top flop in the wind?  Mine stays tight at speed if I have the vent open to pressurize the cab.

Offline grumpygy

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2012, 06:41:02 AM »
When does the front of your top flop in the wind?  Mine stays tight at speed if I have the vent open to pressurize the cab.

Mine is the same way,  But open a window and it starts flapping.
94 YJ, Cool Air intake, 19lb Inj, 4.0 Throttlebody with spacer,  31/10.50/15's

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel BlowerŪ
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2012, 08:12:20 AM »
yep, that's pretty much the way it goes here too - vent open or heater fan to max and will pressurize, close those or open a window and will flap out of control.
'95 YJ, NSG370 6spd / Hurst shifter, Dana 300 + 4:1 Doubler / tri-stick, Custom skid, Super D35 / Auburn LSD / 4.88, 35x12.5x15 BFG KM2, 64mm t/b, 1.7 RollerRockers, MkVIII e-fan, Dual Diaph Booster
Latest: Corbeau BajaRS heated seats :dance: keeping warm the rear end

Offline chrisfranklin

• 4BangerJP.comŪ Donator
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2012, 08:40:39 AM »
Maybe that's the deal:  I almost always drive the highway with at least the driver window open.  

Of course, the high temp. today, frigging January 5th, -Winter-, is supposed to be 84F.  If I keep the windows closed, cabin turns in to a plastic green-house
« Last Edit: January 05, 2012, 08:44:17 AM by chrisfranklin »
'94 YJ S 5spd, Borla Exhaust, CarSound Cat., PS Ceramic-coated Headers, Airraid intake, 62mm TB, Intake Manifold bored/ceramic-coated, 19lb injectors, Sharp's Adj. FPR, MeanGreen Starter, D30 Aussie locker, 31" Destination MTs, Warn XD9000, Cibie headlights, armor

JohnnyO

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2012, 08:11:24 AM »
I got a new Bestop Sailcloth top last year.  It is quieter than what appeared to be a factory top that it replaced, but not real quiet.  I think the main source of road noise comes through the windows.

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2012, 05:27:57 PM »
The top should inflate when the windows are closed.  You'll have a bubble over your head.  Open the window and that bubble may slap some as the pressure changes.
Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZNlr60GXH5OlKIFrT7P6mg
My Jeep: http://4bangerjp.com/forums/index.php?topic=2783.0
"If the motor car were invented today, there is absolutely no way that any government in the world would let normal members of the public drive one."