Author Topic: Is this a good deal?  (Read 1448 times)

Offline smashcoast

Is this a good deal?
« on: March 20, 2010, 12:17:52 PM »
I found this on Jeepforum.com
http://eastcoastgearsupply.com/

If you click on complete axle assemblies you see the ford 9" and 8.8 axles with TJ brackets welded on already for $650 with free shipping. Which axle is the better of the 2?

It looks like a good deal. It say's you can have them build it the way you want also. Gears, Shafts, lockers and disc brakes.

Just the axle assemby and I can build it over time cheaper for sure.
Building this Jeep on the Cheap! Just like Chrysler!

Offline oldjeep

• www.Oldjeep.com
Re: Is this a good deal?
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2010, 12:56:44 PM »
I found this on Jeepforum.com
http://eastcoastgearsupply.com/

If you click on complete axle assemblies you see the ford 9" and 8.8 axles with TJ brackets welded on already for $650 with free shipping. Which axle is the better of the 2?

It looks like a good deal. It say's you can have them build it the way you want also. Gears, Shafts, lockers and disc brakes.

Just the axle assemby and I can build it over time cheaper for sure.

Not really since it isn't really $650

$650 base

$100 if you want 4:10 gears  (for $650 you must be getting 3.55?)
Doesn't appear to come with calipers

Much better off buying a junkyard 8.8 for $100-$150 and getting the TJ bracket kit for $150?.
Chuck P
The clowns'? Oh, yeah, the clowns. We fight them too — entire armies, spilling out of Volkswagons. We do our best to fight them off, but they keep sending 'em in!
94 YJ - gone
98 ZJ - sons truck
97 TJ - daughters project

www.oldjeep.com

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2010, 01:04:08 PM »
I don't think it's a bad deal but it isn't good.  You have to know what you're getting... or more precisely, what you're not getting.  Some parts seem to be used.  On the 9, you're not getting a built third-member.  I think my regear, they mean labor but I'm not certain.

The 8.8 uses old factory gears that haven't been looked at.  If you want new bearings that's going to cost you.  If you want lower gears, that's going to cost you.  Things add up really fast at that point.

You want an 8.8"?  Go salvage one yourself for around $300-$600 then have someone cut and weld your stock brackets to it.
Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZNlr60GXH5OlKIFrT7P6mg
My Jeep: http://4bangerjp.com/forums/index.php?topic=2783.0
"If the motor car were invented today, there is absolutely no way that any government in the world would let normal members of the public drive one."

Offline dwtaylorpdx

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2010, 02:29:58 PM »
Youll still need gears... On the salvage 8.8,
but youll have all the brakes if you get the right one.
As well as axle shafts and the fiddly stuff like e-brake cables.

Dave
94 YJ - 2.5 Hesco Cam B&B Ported - AX5 Trans w/Centerforce Dual Friction Clutch - 4" Rough Country Lift W/Skyjacker Shocks - D44 Rear/ARB - D30/ARB - ARB Compressor - Warn M8000 in Custom Bumper - Reunell Rear Bumper - Metalcloak 6" Body Armor Kit - Tuffy Console - 265x85-16 Tires - 2M Radio

Offline smashcoast

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2010, 06:47:56 PM »
Much better off buying a junkyard 8.8 for $100-$150 and getting the TJ bracket kit for $150?.

Where can I find a kit for $150?
« Last Edit: March 20, 2010, 06:48:49 PM by smashcoast »
Building this Jeep on the Cheap! Just like Chrysler!

Offline aw12345

• my jeep picture page
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2010, 07:18:00 PM »
Ballistic, Genright, Polyperformance, one of them will have the brackets.
For the 8.8 axle go search pick a parts, you pic you save look on the MJR board
Couple of guys found the 8.8 at a pick a part in Hesperia for 200 bucks
2006 Jeep Wrangler TJ SE
2004 Jeep Wrangler TJ SE

YJmechanic

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2010, 09:59:23 PM »
i dont think this is an awesome deal,  here in pa there is several u-pull-it yards that are packed with explorers and rangers with 8.8's and they sell for like 150,  depending on gearing you may not have to regear with an 8.8,  u just have to find the right one.  i like the 8.8 better for the application.  parts are cheaper,  tons out there for spares,  cheaper,  and they are not hugely differant in strength.  the biggest problem with 9's is you drag the pinion through everything.  my 8 doesnt have that problem

Offline aw12345

• my jeep picture page
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2010, 11:27:07 PM »
By the way Scott a guy on MJR is selling his 8.8 axle so you don't even have to get your hands dirty

d Type: For Sale
Price: 200 OBO
Condition: Good
I have an 8.8 i want to get rid of changed my mind at last minute. Its in great shape it has 3.73 gears and the brake setup is in good condition. Ready to go.
2006 Jeep Wrangler TJ SE
2004 Jeep Wrangler TJ SE

Offline oldjeep

• www.Oldjeep.com
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2010, 10:40:30 AM »
« Last Edit: March 21, 2010, 10:44:59 AM by oldjeep »
Chuck P
The clowns'? Oh, yeah, the clowns. We fight them too — entire armies, spilling out of Volkswagons. We do our best to fight them off, but they keep sending 'em in!
94 YJ - gone
98 ZJ - sons truck

www.oldjeep.com

Offline oldjeep

• www.Oldjeep.com
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2010, 10:41:32 AM »
Ballistic, Genright, Polyperformance, one of them will have the brackets.
For the 8.8 axle go search pick a parts, you pic you save look on the MJR board
Couple of guys found the 8.8 at a pick a part in Hesperia for 200 bucks

www.car-part.com - Hollander junkyard locator.

Around here they go for $99  but we have a lot of sport utilities in MN

Edit - apparently the prices are going down.  Place I got mine is selling them for $60 - $80 for units with 4:10 gears, which is pulled and sitting on the shelf - not a u-pull.

« Last Edit: March 21, 2010, 10:54:54 AM by oldjeep »
Chuck P
94 YJ - gone
98 ZJ - sons truck

www.oldjeep.com

Offline Bounty Hunter

• http://www.sija.org
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2010, 01:33:35 PM »
Damn cheap for a pulled axle.  I also thought bracket kits were upwards of $300.  I'd definitely go the junkyard route if I knew somebody that could install the brackets.

YJmechanic

« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2010, 11:40:59 PM »
just find any metal shop that does welding,  put it under and mark where you need the mounts and take it to the  to weld,  also know that u should have the tubes welded fully on an 8.8 to make it solid,  and getting over a 410 carrier requires a little grinding of the pin