Author Topic: When Chrysler could have sold for $1  (Read 783 times)

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
When Chrysler could have sold for $1
« on: September 10, 2010, 02:14:07 PM »
When Chrysler could have sold for $1
By Alex Taylor III, senior editor-at-largeSeptember 9, 2010: 2:15 PM ET

FORTUNE -- One of the lesser-known stories of the Obama Administration's auto bailout is how close Chrysler came close to following the fate of Lehman Brothers and being allowed to fail.

A majority of the Treasury Department's auto task force actually voted in favor of withholding further aid from the automaker. And it was only after a tense 45-minute meeting in the White House that President Obama agreed for the federal government to rescue Chrysler.

An insider's account of the Chrysler drama is recounted by Steven Rattner, head of the auto task force, in a new book Overhaul, to be published in October by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt. (I've covered his account of the revolving door at GM's corner office in a previous column.)

The story began to unfold in October 2008. After General Motors went hat in hand to the government for help, Chrysler followed a week later, signaling that it was desperate for cash.

Chrysler chief Bob Nardelli testified before the Senate Banking Committee on November 18, along with his two fellow CEOs, and again on December 8, looking for $7 billion to keep the company afloat.

After the Senate failed to act, Nardelli wanted Treasury to force GM to buy Chrysler. But although Chrysler's Jeep brand, minivan franchise, and full-size pickup business were attractive, GM decided that the overlap of brands and dealers would make a merger too cumbersome.
No merger in sight

With no progress on the merger front, Rattner reports that Steve Feinberg of Cerberus Capital, Chrysler's owner, called Treasury Secretary Henry Paulson at 2 a.m. on the morning of December 19th with an incredible offer: He proposed turning Chrysler over to the U.S. government for $1. Rattner says the Treasury team mistook Feinberg's offer for a joke and didn't respond.

Later that month, President Bush authorized $17.4 billion in TARP money for GM and Chrysler. White House staffers had bought the president a weed whacker for Christmas the year before. In 2008, they joked that they bought him Chrysler.

The automaker was worth more alive than dead. Liquidation would yield just $1 billion. But Chrysler's problems -- loss of market share, overwhelming structural costs, outflows of cash -- were staggering. The auto task force created by new President Obama figured bankruptcy was inevitable.

By the time the auto team met with White House chief of staff Rahm Emanuel in the West Wing, they doubted whether Chrysler should be allowed to continue to survive as an independent entity. Emanuel was characteristically blunt: "Why even save GM?" he asked, according to Rattner. Reminded of tens of thousands of autoworkers whose jobs were at stake, he barked out bo-yah! the UAW."

In addition to GM, Nardelli had reached out to Ford and Carlos Ghosn of Renault-Nissan for help, but to no avail. Lacking new designs and unable to meet tightening fuel economy standards, it pinned its hopes on a prospective alliance with Fiat. But when it presented a plan to Treasury on February 25, it provided only sketchy details and no scheme to reduce a heavy $6.9 billion debt burden.

Rattner met with Fiat Sergio Marchionne a few days later. Asked if he would put up capital as part of the deal, Marchionne said the equivalent of "No way."

On March 13, the auto task force met to decide Chrysler's fate. Those who opposed further aid argued that its demise would improve the odds of survival of GM and Ford because most would-be Chrysler buyers would shift to other domestic brands. By one analysis, GM would capture 300,000 additional customers -- a quarter of Chrysler's business -- if Chrysler failed. That would increase GM's profit by $2.4 billion and add $10 billion to its market value.
300,000 jobs at stake

A Chrysler liquidation would vaporize 300,000 jobs industry wide including 40,000 at Chrysler. But some argued that the loss would be minimized as others filled in the gap. Besides, continuing to bail out Chrysler would send the wrong signal about the administration's willingness to make hard decisions.

In the end, the argument to save Chrysler was based more on political and social reality. Saving the automaker would prevent the loss of those 300,000 jobs and President Obama being blamed. Ripple effects might include Michigan's state unemployment fund going broke.

White House Chief Economic Adviser Larry Summers said it was better to invest $6 billion in Chrysler's survival than pay several billion for its funeral. He and others praised a Fiat merger, in part because it would preserve the future opportunity to merge with GM.

Summers pressed the task force members to apply probabilities to their projections. He asked for a show of hands: If you assume the probability of saving Chrysler for five years is 50%, would you save it? The task force members voted four to three against it. Rattner couldn't make up his mind but eventually voted in favor of a bailout. Summers had the tie-breaker and said yes as well.

A memo with the arguments for both sides was prepared for Obama. An entire session of the morning daily briefing on March 26 was set aside to discuss it. After 20 minutes, the president decided the decision was too important to rush and delayed it until evening.

Meeting in the Roosevelt Room of the White House, Obama heard arguments for 45 minutes. Polling data was discussed showing public opposition to the bailout, as was the impact of Chrysler's failure on unemployment. At the end of the meeting, Obama asked "Does anyone else have anything to say?" And then he decided. "I'm prepared to give Chrysler 30 days to see if we can get the Fiat deal done on terms that make sense to us."

Chrysler went through bankruptcy so its debts could be eased and it could continue in business. And negotiations with Fiat turned out to be tougher than expected -- due in part to Marchionne's explosive temper --- but it finally went through and the automaker was saved. But for a long time, its survival hung by the narrowest of threads. To top of page
Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZNlr60GXH5OlKIFrT7P6mg
My Jeep: http://4bangerjp.com/forums/index.php?topic=2783.0
"If the motor car were invented today, there is absolutely no way that any government in the world would let normal members of the public drive one."

Offline chrisfranklin

• 4BangerJP.comŪ Donator
Re: When Chrysler could have sold for $1
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2010, 12:01:19 AM »
Personally, I wouldn't be surprised if domestic brand/built auto manufacturers and their plants are still the U.S.'s unheralded, go-to manufacturing backup in case of national emergency -- war, etc.  Wouldn't be surprised if Chrysler's bail out was argued by "politicos" as in the interest of long term U.S. national security. 

Of course, now Chrysler is owned/operated by Fiat.  That arrangement -- like the old Daimler Chrysler one -- doesn't seem to help my above theory much. 

Of course, maybe that's in the fine print of the buy-out agreement:  "you (Daimler, Fiat) own/control Chrysler and its plants.  However, in the event of a national emergency in which the U.S. government is forced to requisition said "plants,"  all bets are off."   
'94 YJ S 5spd, Borla Exhaust, CarSound Cat., PS Ceramic-coated Headers, Airraid intake, 62mm TB, Intake Manifold bored/ceramic-coated, 19lb injectors, Sharp's Adj. FPR, MeanGreen Starter, D30 Aussie locker, 31" Destination MTs, Warn XD9000, Cibie headlights, armor

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2010, 12:44:50 AM »
Actually unlike Daimler, Fiat has a lot to offer Chrysler and vise verse.  Dealer Network, mid-size car platform for Fiat and Small cars, small engines, diesels, kitsch brand.  Fiat also owns Masarati who has had connections with Chrysler in the past.  Also Fiat own Ferrari and Alfa.

I mean, look at the SLS AMG.  That was originally designed to be the 3 Gen Viper.  It's a nice looking car and if Chrysler could build a car like that with the quality and parts, they could make a supercar as well.
"If the motor car were invented today, there is absolutely no way that any government in the world would let normal members of the public drive one."

Offline chrisfranklin

• 4BangerJP.comŪ Donator
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2010, 05:46:49 AM »
I dug these out of my BlackBerry from December '09 when I was in DC.  I spotted this car in a downtown lot where I'd parked and sized it up as one of the new Fiats.  

Strange thing was I ran in to this one on a Sunday.  So maybe this Fiat was just something Fiat or Chrysler lobbyists drove up to Capitol Hill during the week for the purposes of winning the support of Reps, Senators, and their staffs over to the new Fiat (Chrysler) "iron."
« Last Edit: September 13, 2010, 05:53:45 AM by chrisfranklin »
'94 YJ S 5spd, Borla Exhaust, CarSound Cat., PS Ceramic-coated Headers, Airraid intake, 62mm TB, Intake Manifold bored/ceramic-coated, 19lb injectors, Sharp's Adj. FPR, MeanGreen Starter, D30 Aussie locker, 31" Destination MTs, Warn XD9000, Cibie headlights, armor

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2010, 01:28:16 PM »
That's a Fiat 500 or Cincuenta.  I've seen then in Scottland when I was there last year.  Nice looking cars.  It's right up there with the Mini in popularity.  I'd like to see an Abarath version though.

Chrysler's been doing a lot of testing with the 500's as well as some other prospects.  They need to do the heat testing out in the desert.

The only downside I see is that we might not get the first generation Fiat 500 but rather a 2nd gen.

I was reading that Fiat wanted to base one of the Alfa's on a Chrysler sedan.

Offline chrisfranklin

• 4BangerJP.comŪ Donator
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2010, 10:44:21 AM »
That's a Fiat 500 or Cincuenta.  I've seen then in Scottland when I was there last year.  Nice looking cars.  It's right up there with the Mini in popularity.  I'd like to see an Abarath version though.

Chrysler's been doing a lot of testing with the 500's as well as some other prospects.  They need to do the heat testing out in the desert.

The only downside I see is that we might not get the first generation Fiat 500 but rather a 2nd gen.

I was reading that Fiat wanted to base one of the Alfa's on a Chrysler sedan.

I thought it looked decent, too -- kind of something I'd have probably expected to see in Europe instead of the U.S. 

I just had a strange thought that was heavily influenced by the comment I just left in the new "Heavy Duty Pickup Prices..." topic:  In 5 years, will we have this reverse deal where we'll see more of these decent looking, but what I would have used to term, "European-model" cars in the U.S., on the one hand; but then -- due to MPG-related price hikes domestically -- we'll also start hearing about how U.S.-made, gas-powered, heavy-duty pickups are selling well in foreign markets? 

I know gas prices are traditionally a lot higher abroad than in the U.S. and I know countries may have import tariffs on US makes or people overseas may traditionally not go for US auto/truck makes or not have the buying-power for the US makes.  But even with all that, I'd hesitate to try to call anything. 

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2010, 01:14:58 PM »
The roads are typically smaller in Europe so Full-size trucks don't do well there.  This is why they get the F-100 and we don't.

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel BlowerŪ
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2010, 01:21:14 PM »
The roads are typically smaller in Europe so Full-size trucks don't do well there.  This is why they get the F-100 and we don't.

and also parking would be impossible with a full size truck unless you have a commercial license. I also think that you need a different type of insurance and D/L for driving the full size trucks. Not to mention the fact that all the commercial vehicles there are Diesels so a gasoline powered one would be very hard to sell.
'95 YJ, NSG370 6spd / Hurst shifter, Dana 300 + 4:1 Doubler / tri-stick, Custom skid, Super D35 / Auburn LSD / 4.88, 35x12.5x15 BFG KM2, 64mm t/b, 1.7 RollerRockers, MkVIII e-fan, Dual Diaph Booster
Latest: Corbeau BajaRS heated seats :dance: keeping warm the rear end

Offline chrisfranklin

• 4BangerJP.comŪ Donator
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2010, 07:00:19 PM »
and also parking would be impossible with a full size truck unless you have a commercial license. I also think that you need a different type of insurance and D/L for driving the full size trucks. Not to mention the fact that all the commercial vehicles there are Diesels so a gasoline powered one would be very hard to sell.

I figured Europe was a long-shot, but I also had in mind so-called emerging markets like China and Brazil.  Maybe Russia, Central Asia, the Mid-East, Africa, South America (including Brazil) and Central America also. 

For the folks who have the money in those areas, a big U.S. built truck might be on the menu if it was a decent deal vs. alternatives and if the U.S could, perhaps, nudge their home nations to rescind any tariffs or other laws that might impede/prevent sales of large US trucks in-country.   

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2010, 07:37:01 PM »
I figured Europe was a long-shot, but I also had in mind so-called emerging markets like China and Brazil.  Maybe Russia, Central Asia, the Mid-East, Africa, South America (including Brazil) and Central America also. 

For the folks who have the money in those areas, a big U.S. built truck might be on the menu if it was a decent deal vs. alternatives and if the U.S could, perhaps, nudge their home nations to rescind any tariffs or other laws that might impede/prevent sales of large US trucks in-country.   
Actually most other countries do well with a small size truck.  With parts availability slim to none for any US Domestic, I doubt they would do well.  For most countries a 4cyl diesel is fine as gas can be difficult to find in some remote areas.  Diesel on the other hand is usually available anywhere.

The only full-size I've seen are those given to the Iraqi Police and Military.  Although, they want Humvees as a full-size truck doesn't protect you against IED's.