Author Topic: cooling fan not coming need some input...  (Read 1124 times)

poortech

cooling fan not coming need some input...
« on: May 09, 2011, 07:46:17 PM »
ok... for starters my jeep is an 04 2.4l. electric fan does not come on. ive replaced both high and low speed fan relays, temp sensor, and fuses. i know the fan works because i jumped it and came right on. also if i unplug the temp sensor the fan comes on. its starting to really suck because its getting hotter out and without the cooling fan pulling air across the condensor i pretty much have no a/c just hot air.
thanks in advance for any input...

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
Re: cooling fan not coming need some input...
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2011, 11:47:20 PM »
Bad wiring or connector?
Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZNlr60GXH5OlKIFrT7P6mg
My Jeep: http://4bangerjp.com/forums/index.php?topic=2783.0
"If the motor car were invented today, there is absolutely no way that any government in the world would let normal members of the public drive one."

Offline Mozman68

• Poseur ExtraordinaireŽ
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2011, 11:38:16 AM »
sounds like a bad sensor... :confused:
2009 Audi S5....what....its 4wd...sort of....

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel BlowerŽ
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2011, 12:02:50 PM »
i'm assuming he says is not coming on when the A/C is on so i don't think the temp sensor is the problem - is that the case? although it does sound like the temp sensor but not too much info on that, like how high did the temperature went and the fan did not turn on
'95 YJ, NSG370 6spd / Hurst shifter, Dana 300 + 4:1 Doubler / tri-stick, Custom skid, Super D35 / Auburn LSD / 4.88, 35x12.5x15 BFG KM2, 64mm t/b, 1.7 RollerRockers, MkVIII e-fan, Dual Diaph Booster
Latest: Corbeau BajaRS heated seats :dance: keeping warm the rear end

Offline easyup

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2011, 03:04:02 PM »
I followed Jeffy work and added a 85 amp relay off of the high speed of my Mark vii fan with the control wire directly off of the condenser power wire to be sure that any time the A/C is on I have max air, like Jeffy even here in AZ the low speed was adequate w/o A/C.  At times like this a 12v lighted probe with a sharp point to pierce wire insulation is your friend, you can follow the voltage through the circuit and find the break.

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel BlowerŽ
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2011, 04:23:33 PM »
I followed Jeffy work and added a 85 amp relay off of the high speed of my Mark vii fan with the control wire directly off of the condenser power wire to be sure that any time the A/C is on I have max air, like Jeffy even here in AZ the low speed was adequate w/o A/C.  At times like this a 12v lighted probe with a sharp point to pierce wire insulation is your friend, you can follow the voltage through the circuit and find the break.

he's got a 2.4L with factory e-fan, it's a different setup than the rest of us are using.
'95 YJ, NSG370 6spd / Hurst shifter, Dana 300 + 4:1 Doubler / tri-stick, Custom skid, Super D35 / Auburn LSD / 4.88, 35x12.5x15 BFG KM2, 64mm t/b, 1.7 RollerRockers, MkVIII e-fan, Dual Diaph Booster

Offline Mozman68

• Poseur ExtraordinaireŽ
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2011, 01:16:44 PM »
Factory e-fan??  Hah...I never even new that existed on a 4-banger.  Have never seen one that new.   :roflol:

2009 Audi S5....what....its 4wd...sort of....

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel BlowerŽ
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2011, 01:23:58 PM »
Factory e-fan??  Hah...I never even new that existed on a 4-banger.  Have never seen one that new.   :roflol:

unless i am mistaking which is very likely - since he did not mention if this was aftermarket (didn't sound like it) and for some reason i thought 2.4L came with e-fan (at some point at least) i assumed it's factory. If it isn't then he should probably specify what controller and fan he's using (disconnecting the sensor on a thermocouple based setup will not trigger the fan to come on, so it has to be some fancy controller if that is a/m).

the e-fan on my Camaro does the same thing if i disconnect the temp sensor btw.

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2011, 01:33:39 PM »
Said he replaced the temp sensor as well as both relays and fuse.
Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZNlr60GXH5OlKIFrT7P6mg
My Jeep: http://4bangerjp.com/forums/index.php?topic=2783.0
"If the motor car were invented today, there is absolutely no way that any government in the world would let normal members of the public drive one."