Author Topic: Broke one of my own rules  (Read 1021 times)

Offline grumpygy

Broke one of my own rules
« on: June 11, 2011, 06:53:01 PM »
One change at a time, unless its a completed rebuild.  Well recently I put on new Coil, 4.0 throttle body and new Injectors.  Well it came back to bite me, at first I thought it was the fuel in the jeep since it was real old.  Then figured it was the new used injectors, so changed them back out.  But the way it acted went back to thinking it was the fuel.

It took almost smoking the new coil to find that was the problem all along, it smelled like my clutch was going out.  But with how bad it was smelling it should have been really sliping.  Got home and popped the hood, boy was that coil hot.

Well I'm back to a new stock type coil, Throttle Body stayed in and dropped those injectors back in.  Running great.  Still need to match throttle body to the intake manifold.  But just for safety I'm waiting on the parts for my HD to get here and get it back running.   I want to pull the manifold to open it up. Also have a broken bolt in the head for the exhaust will do that at the same time.
94 YJ, Cool Air intake, 19lb Inj, 4.0 Throttlebody with spacer,  31/10.50/15's

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
Re: Broke one of my own rules
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2011, 06:55:31 PM »
Burnt electronics really smells bad.  The smoke/smell sticks to everything and smells for a long time afterwards.  Gotta keep the magic in the black box.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2011, 06:55:57 PM by Jeffy »
Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZNlr60GXH5OlKIFrT7P6mg
My Jeep: http://4bangerjp.com/forums/index.php?topic=2783.0
"If the motor car were invented today, there is absolutely no way that any government in the world would let normal members of the public drive one."

Offline grumpygy

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2011, 07:04:50 PM »
Burnt electronics really smells bad.  The smoke/smell sticks to everything and smells for a long time afterwards.  Gotta keep the magic in the black box.

This was real weird, did not have the normal Electric smell, more like Brakes or Clutch.

I've smoked enough wire to know what a normal electric smell is. :brick:
94 YJ, Cool Air intake, 19lb Inj, 4.0 Throttlebody with spacer,  31/10.50/15's

Offline chardrc

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2011, 07:16:29 PM »
coil going bad sucks.. had our "performance" coil go bad in cj2a. never smelt anything but it would quit producing spark after about 45 minutes of driving and boil the oil out of itself. and it was hot as heck if you went to touch it (hidden under the dash so couldn't see the oil coming out. )
1990 YJ 4cly, ax5, 2.5 inch BDS lift, 31 MTr\'s,  Powertrax-lockers all around, track-bars removed, boomerang shackles, warn m8000 winch, electric fan. [sold but not forgotten]

2007 jk Rubicon 2dr

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel BlowerŪ
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2011, 07:18:11 PM »
it's the resin that smells bad on a coil (the winding is soaked and baked in it), same as with power supplies, burned wires smell different.
'95 YJ, NSG370 6spd / Hurst shifter, Dana 300 + 4:1 Doubler / tri-stick, Custom skid, Super D35 / Auburn LSD / 4.88, 35x12.5x15 BFG KM2, 64mm t/b, 1.7 RollerRockers, MkVIII e-fan, Dual Diaph Booster
Latest: Corbeau BajaRS heated seats :dance: keeping warm the rear end