Author Topic: hard top and doors....  (Read 2282 times)

bammerman

hard top and doors....
« on: June 19, 2011, 02:52:17 PM »
found a deal for a set of 1985 CJ7 hard top and doors, will they fit a 90 YJ at all?

Offline BoringDave

Re: hard top and doors....
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2011, 03:00:52 PM »
If it's any help a buddy of mine had an 87 Wrangler with cj-7 hard top and doors. It's my understanding cj-7 and Wrangler tubs are all the same. I noticed if you lookup after market tubs the part numbers are the same.

Dave

Offline chardrc

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2011, 05:38:43 PM »
iirc they will work but depending on the year the door latching pin may be different.
1990 YJ 4cly, ax5, 2.5 inch BDS lift, 31 MTr\'s,  Powertrax-lockers all around, track-bars removed, boomerang shackles, warn m8000 winch, electric fan. [sold but not forgotten]

2007 jk Rubicon 2dr

bammerman

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2011, 08:03:32 PM »
I would think the 5 year difference wouldn't be enough, but I cant go by that because the 90 and the 91 injection system on a 4.0 are completely different.

RT

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2011, 08:27:26 PM »
idk try it, if you already have the parts what can you lose?

bammerman

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2011, 08:58:49 PM »
haven't bought them yet, 700 for all three.  Wanted to make sure before I shelled out the cash

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2011, 09:18:24 PM »
'85 should be the pin style so they would work with the YJ tub.  With anything old you might have to redo the seals, track, etc which can get expensive.  You can also pull the lock cylinders and swap then with your half doors or else get the redone so they'll all be the same.
Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZNlr60GXH5OlKIFrT7P6mg
My Jeep: http://4bangerjp.com/forums/index.php?topic=2783.0
"If the motor car were invented today, there is absolutely no way that any government in the world would let normal members of the public drive one."

95yjman

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2011, 10:49:23 AM »
CJ hardtops are freaking heavy heh

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2011, 11:04:59 AM »
CJ hardtops are freaking heavy heh
The only major difference between a CJ7 top and a YJ top is the rear hatch.  The YJ's is all glass while the CJ has the metal frame.  They are both heavy though, which is why I don't remove mine often.  Not to mention the seals and alignment get all messed up.
"If the motor car were invented today, there is absolutely no way that any government in the world would let normal members of the public drive one."

Torch_Ind

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2011, 07:21:58 PM »
If it's any help a buddy of mine had an 87 Wrangler with cj-7 hard top and doors. It's my understanding cj-7 and Wrangler tubs are all the same. I noticed if you lookup after market tubs the part numbers are the same.

Dave

were are you getting the part numbers?

Offline BoringDave

« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2011, 09:26:43 PM »
Don't remember. I will look around on the net and see if I can find them again. I think it was the place that makes the aluminum tubs.

Dave

95yjman

« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2011, 10:26:39 PM »
The only major difference between a CJ7 top and a YJ top is the rear hatch.  The YJ's is all glass while the CJ has the metal frame.  They are both heavy though, which is why I don't remove mine often.  Not to mention the seals and alignment get all messed up.

ya I have noticed the shape of mine going down hill with just removing it for every summer and putting it back on for the winter  :'(

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2011, 10:46:47 PM »
ya I have noticed the shape of mine going down hill with just removing it for every summer and putting it back on for the winter  :'(
Replace the seals under the top with the foam stuff you use on truck bed campers.  It seems to work well as long as you don't slide the top around too much.  You might want to use stick on weatherstripping on the top side of the doors and the windshield frame where the door closes.  The doors will still slap a little under heavy winds.

When putting the top on make sure you have weight on the front to pull it down snug.  Either have someone sit up there or else use ratchet straps  You can connect two straps and throw it over the top.  It will give you enough pressure to keep the top down.  The other problem with the fops is that they aren't perfectly square.  You might need to pull and push the sides from the back corner to get them to line up properly.  It's always a PITA to get the doors line up properly.  Better to pull and push the top then to readjust the doors every time you take the top off.  Once you have the doors setup and the windshield angle set, it's best not to move them because you'll never get it all lined back up again.  If you have a YJ top make sure you have the rubber bushing that fit between the windshield frame and the top.  I'm not sure if a CJ top have these or not.

If you don't want to pull the top off you can always remove the doors and the rear glass.  I just end up driving with the doors off and the glass on since I don't usually leave the Jeep with no doors on for long.

Offline chardrc

« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2011, 05:19:53 PM »
and if you have a speaker bar beware that it may interfere with the top (or it could be a sound bar installation issue. for the longest time couldn't figure out why the front of my hardtop wouldn't go all the way down on the windshield like it should. 
1990 YJ 4cly, ax5, 2.5 inch BDS lift, 31 MTr\'s,  Powertrax-lockers all around, track-bars removed, boomerang shackles, warn m8000 winch, electric fan. [sold but not forgotten]

2007 jk Rubicon 2dr