Author Topic: Exhaust recommendations (from header back)  (Read 1791 times)

arveetek

Exhaust recommendations (from header back)
« on: August 11, 2011, 10:58:10 AM »
When I bought my TJ, the PO had installed a glasspack muffler on it.  I'm tired of the sound, and want to go back to a more stock-like muffler.  Also, the existing cat is not stock, it is all welded on and doesn't look anything like the OEM cats.  I'm wondering what kind of shape it is on the inside.  The TJ has 187K on the clock, and I have no idea how long the current cat has been on there.

Any recommendations?  Does anyone make a complete header-back kit?  Seems most of the aftermarket kits are cat-back.

Should I just take it to the muffler shop and have them make a whole new system?  Is there a performance cat I should look for?

Also, any recommendations on mufflers?

Thanks,

Casey

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
Re: Exhaust recommendations (from header back)
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2011, 11:49:07 AM »
No one makes a complete kit.  For headers your only choice is Banks and Pacesetter.  For the Cat, it's Random Technology or Magnaflow (for bolt-on, stainless steel & high-flow).  For the cat-back, there are numerous companies.

I'd probably recommend keeping the exhaust manifold and getting a Magnaflow cat and a cat-back.  I prefer bolt-on exhausts as it's pretty simple to install and if anything goes wrong, you can take it apart with resorting to cutting.  Especially if there's a warranty.  I've replaced the muffler on my Jeep 5-6 times.  The last few were all under warranty.  The last time I had the whole cat-back replaced.  I went with a Borla.  Banks is also good as well as Magnaflow.
Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZNlr60GXH5OlKIFrT7P6mg
My Jeep: http://4bangerjp.com/forums/index.php?topic=2783.0
"If the motor car were invented today, there is absolutely no way that any government in the world would let normal members of the public drive one."

arveetek

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2011, 08:38:36 PM »
Thanks for the info.  I checked out the Magnaflow parts, and they're kinda pricey!  If I'm looking at the catalogs right, it looks to be close to $450 for a Magnaflow cat and cat-back system.

Casey

Torch_Ind

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2011, 08:46:02 PM »
Thanks for the info.  I checked out the Magnaflow parts, and they're kinda pricey!  If I'm looking at the catalogs right, it looks to be close to $450 for a Magnaflow cat and cat-back system.

Casey

I got a header and cherry bomb vortex muffler and it was all put together by my local exhaust shop didn't cost what magnaflow is or even near as much as what they wanted. it's not stainless but it works fine for me.

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2011, 08:54:09 PM »
Magnaflow Cat should be $130-ish, for a bolt-on.  You get a nice new crossover pipe as well.  Looks like their matching cat-back is $435.51.  You could save by going with a Banks or maybe Borla.  I'm make sure to go with a stainless steel exhaust with mandrel bends.  2.25-2.5".  A lifetime warranty can be helpful.  Like I said, I've had to rely on the warranty for mine a few times.
Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZNlr60GXH5OlKIFrT7P6mg
My Jeep: http://4bangerjp.com/forums/index.php?topic=2783.0
"If the motor car were invented today, there is absolutely no way that any government in the world would let normal members of the public drive one."

arveetek

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2011, 02:14:10 PM »
I found a supplier through my work that can get me the Magnaflow system at wholesale cost, so it looks more tempting now!

Now to find some extra cash...  :D

Casey

arveetek

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2011, 09:05:49 PM »
After doing some more research, I discovered that my current exhaust system must not be all that old, as it has a welded-in cat and 2.25" piping, which is larger than stock.

I ended up locating a Magnaflow muffler knock-off from Ebay for $41 shipped to my door:

I cut off the old glass pack, which was just a tiny thing:

The new muffler is a straight-through design:

I'm very satisfied with the results!  It sounds much, much better.  Sounds just like the Magnaflow kits I've heard on other TJ's.

Me happy fellow!

Casey

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel BlowerŪ
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2011, 11:18:00 PM »
stock is 2.25'', a 2.5'' catback is usually the upgrade.
'95 YJ, NSG370 6spd / Hurst shifter, Dana 300 + 4:1 Doubler / tri-stick, Custom skid, Super D35 / Auburn LSD / 4.88, 35x12.5x15 BFG KM2, 64mm t/b, 1.7 RollerRockers, MkVIII e-fan, Dual Diaph Booster
Latest: Corbeau BajaRS heated seats :dance: keeping warm the rear end