Author Topic: How long would you keep your jeep?  (Read 4442 times)

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
Re: How long would you keep your jeep?
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2011, 06:02:44 PM »
Thanks for all the replies.  Some very valid points were brought up.  Right now I already have a second vehicle, however it is not any better for commuting because of the gas and insurance on it.  The charger is a Daytona addition (limited production) , and is very fun to drive on it own merits.  One of the reason I have driven the jeep so much is to not put so much wear and tear on the charger.  The freedom factor of the jeep is a huge sticking point.   I will have to sit down and really look a what  the true cost will be on it.  I do have to look at the reality of always sinking money into a vehicle with 258xxx miles on it, and will have to draw a line somewhere.  The thing with most vehicles is once you encounter something major on them, or in a major accident they cannot be repaired.  With Jeeps you could conceivably keep rebuilding it forever or build one from the ground from a catalog(An expensive way to do it).  I guess I will have to do some soul searching on this one.  Thanks again for all the advice 
The advantage of the Jeep, specifically the YJ is that it's old enough that parts are cheap and you don't need any specialized tools to work on them.  Keep it stock and you'll get decent mileage and if you're not wheeling it then most of the problems that might come up are going to be minor.  Even if you have to replace teh whole engine, it's going to be cheap if you get a salvage.
Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZNlr60GXH5OlKIFrT7P6mg
My Jeep: http://4bangerjp.com/forums/index.php?topic=2783.0
"If the motor car were invented today, there is absolutely no way that any government in the world would let normal members of the public drive one."

SDWE61988

« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2011, 06:17:12 PM »
good points.  She does get good milage for a jeep.  I guess I will be teaching myself how to do body work and paint now.  I do need to add an AC system for next summer though.  Sitting in traffic on I270 in 100+ degree heat, is not fun.

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2011, 08:32:52 PM »
good points.  She does get good milage for a jeep.  I guess I will be teaching myself how to do body work and paint now.  I do need to add an AC system for next summer though.  Sitting in traffic on I270 in 100+ degree heat, is not fun.
AC is the next project for me.  I'm getting old and not being able to roll down my windows (6pt cage) is for the birds.  We hit 99* the other day and it sucked.  Humidity was up as well.  Long trips with no AC sucks too.  Getting to work damp sucks as well.  Costs around $900 for the parts.
"If the motor car were invented today, there is absolutely no way that any government in the world would let normal members of the public drive one."

SDWE61988

« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2011, 06:39:47 AM »
Yes, it amazing how stuff like ac become more important when you get older/wiser.

N8whitie

« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2011, 12:20:28 AM »
Didnt know that Wrangler had so many issues that you have to worry that it brakes down. I have not had any problems with mine.
I have thought about selling it, but truly I will not

Mine was running great for the first year and then little stuff started happening like the alternator going out, overheating due to an old worn out radiator,motor mount went out, then I found out the passenger side pylon was cracked and reamed out... stuff like that that happens to a 20yr old rig and parts start wearing down. The engine itself is sound. Just like Jeffy said, if you maintain it properly then it should treat you right. Those things that happened were pretty much unavoidable.

Offline chrisfranklin

• 4BangerJP.com® Donator
« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2011, 05:24:29 AM »
Have a cousin who had a great, old CJ for about a decade.  He bought a bigger truck for work, got married and then ended up selling the CJ to a friend of his. 

He told me he tried to buy it back from his friend a few years after he sold it to him, but they couldn't work out a deal. Goes without saying, but my cousin regrets selling his Jeep in the first place.

Regrets selling a YJ or TJ might be a different story for some, certainly.  Still, I've had my YJ for 12 years and I could see buying another Jeep in addition to it, but I couldn't see selling it.     
'94 YJ S 5spd, Borla Exhaust, CarSound Cat., PS Ceramic-coated Headers, Airraid intake, 62mm TB, Intake Manifold bored/ceramic-coated, 19lb injectors, Sharp's Adj. FPR, MeanGreen Starter, D30 Aussie locker, 31" Destination MTs, Warn XD9000, Cibie headlights, armor

Offline stan98tj

• Empty Wallet Wheeling Since 2007®
  • Wheeling New England
« Reply #21 on: October 02, 2011, 11:12:38 PM »
pick up a cheap economical car. keep the wrangler as a fun toy and winter commuter. The snow storms will prove the jeep useful. Taking it off the road will slow down the wear and tear and you can start dedicating some time to rebuilding it. Also, with wheeling being 2-4hrs away, that's not too far away to rule out an occasional weekend trip out to enjoy the jeep.
98 TJ 35"Maxxis Trep.Old Man Emu 2.5""+1"BL,IronMan Fab control arms,4.56gears,Ford 8.8+ARB,Currie/IronMan steering, WARN VR10,HP D30 sleeved+ RCV,Body Armor Rock Rails WISHLIST:TDi.Girlfriend hates it :) If you can read this don't flip me over i dont have any $$ left to fix it

SDWE61988

« Reply #22 on: October 06, 2011, 06:37:33 AM »
I have thought that plan many times.  There is a huge roadblock on that plan though, the wife. :nono:  She is not real happy with the fact that we have 3 vehicles, and then I want a 4th.  Her ideal plan is that i get rid of both my vehicles and pick up a econobox commuter. Not happening. 

Offline grumpygy

« Reply #23 on: October 06, 2011, 06:45:37 AM »
I have thought that plan many times.  There is a huge roadblock on that plan though, the wife. :nono:  She is not real happy with the fact that we have 3 vehicles, and then I want a 4th.  Her ideal plan is that i get rid of both my vehicles and pick up a econobox commuter. Not happening. 

Seems a new Wie is also needed. :dance:
94 YJ, Cool Air intake, 19lb Inj, 4.0 Throttlebody with spacer,  31/10.50/15's

Offline stan98tj

• Empty Wallet Wheeling Since 2007®
  • Wheeling New England
« Reply #24 on: October 06, 2011, 07:27:31 AM »
Seems a new Wie is also needed. :dance:
pick one up at the dealership??
98 TJ 35"Maxxis Trep.Old Man Emu 2.5""+1"BL,IronMan Fab control arms,4.56gears,Ford 8.8+ARB,Currie/IronMan steering, WARN VR10,HP D30 sleeved+ RCV,Body Armor Rock Rails WISHLIST:TDi.Girlfriend hates it :) If you can read this don't flip me over i dont have any $$ left to fix it

SDWE61988

« Reply #25 on: October 06, 2011, 09:34:00 AM »
You know the old saying, "cheaper to keep her " I not sure they would take her as a trade in anyway! :yikes:

Torch_Ind

« Reply #26 on: October 06, 2011, 04:38:03 PM »
You know the old saying, "cheaper to keep her " I not sure they would take her as a trade in anyway! :yikes:

:roflol:

I got my jeep and getting a 360 dodge ram.  my wife drives the econobox and we travel with it on long trips lol.  keeps her happy !

SDWE61988

« Reply #27 on: November 03, 2011, 09:43:02 AM »
Well, she might be going up for sale now.  I was driving it last week and the engine started making a tapping / knocking noise, upon start up and would going away in about 10 minutes.  The last time I drove it, I started it up , and the knocking sound was much more pronounced.  On my 45 mile trip home from work the knocking sound never went away and grew louder the last two miles from home.  I have not had a chance to look at anything yet.  I hope I can get off early enough tonight to try and diagnose it. I thought it might be a sticking lifter, and that maybe and inexpensive repair.  If it is rod knock, requiring major engine work,  she will have to be sold for whatever I can get for it.  I cannot really afford another engine rebuild/swap, and really do not have the time to do it either.  Anyone interested in an overall good condition jeep ripe for a v8 swap? :smile:

To top it all off we got our first snow last weekend.  As much as I love this jeep, I need to have something reliable enough to get to work each day.  So the Charger has been pressed into full service, but that car is not good at all in the snow.  It has all season tires on it, however I have  already noticed significantly reduced traction in colder weather.  If I have to run the car this winter, I need to seriously look at some winter rubber, or a cheap snow bomber.

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: November 03, 2011, 01:53:53 PM »
Well, she might be going up for sale now.  I was driving it last week and the engine started making a tapping / knocking noise, upon start up and would going away in about 10 minutes.  The last time I drove it, I started it up , and the knocking sound was much more pronounced.  On my 45 mile trip home from work the knocking sound never went away and grew louder the last two miles from home.  I have not had a chance to look at anything yet.  I hope I can get off early enough tonight to try and diagnose it. I thought it might be a sticking lifter, and that maybe and inexpensive repair.  If it is rod knock, requiring major engine work,  she will have to be sold for whatever I can get for it.  I cannot really afford another engine rebuild/swap, and really do not have the time to do it either.  Anyone interested in an overall good condition jeep ripe for a v8 swap? :smile:

To top it all off we got our first snow last weekend.  As much as I love this jeep, I need to have something reliable enough to get to work each day.  So the Charger has been pressed into full service, but that car is not good at all in the snow.  It has all season tires on it, however I have  already noticed significantly reduced traction in colder weather.  If I have to run the car this winter, I need to seriously look at some winter rubber, or a cheap snow bomber.
Knocking is usually the bottom end.  Tapping is on the top end.

SDWE61988

« Reply #29 on: November 04, 2011, 05:54:15 AM »
I filmed a short video last night for my brother to look at and get his opinion (He is a master mechanic at a CDJR dealer).  He seems to think it sounds like the valve train.  I might pull it into the garage tonight and pull the valve cover to look around.   I will try to get the video downloaded and post it later.