Author Topic: What is the coolest thing you have done to the interior of your jeep?  (Read 7058 times)

road2damascus

Re: What is the coolest thing you have done to the interior of your jeep?
« Reply #30 on: October 06, 2011, 10:02:49 PM »
I'm guessing you used something like 303 Products or even Armor-all.  Armor-all is known to dry out the dash pad if you use it a lot.  Although the YJ has such a small dash, I don't think UV is really a problem.  Mine's still nice and I haven't treated it in centuries.

Just sunblock. No-Ad 30 spf. Applied while sitting at stop lights.

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
« Reply #31 on: October 06, 2011, 11:27:39 PM »
Sun block is mostly a moisturizing lotion with some UV protection.  I think most UV protectants like Turtle Wax, Mothers, etc... for interiors use similar moisturizing formulas for leather and vinyl.  The main difference would probably be any fragrances added to the Sun block.  Also, they aren't as oily/greasy as they are designed to be washed off eventually.  The ehow to suggests using UV protectant afterwards which is probably doing most of the work anyway.  Honestly though, the YJ's dash is a really small surface and doesn't get that much light/heat.  I've lived in the tropics for a while and never bothered to use UV protectant.  Although I did occasionally used a windshield sun screen and or parked with the windshield away from the sun.  Never had any problems with the vinyl drying out.
Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZNlr60GXH5OlKIFrT7P6mg
My Jeep: http://4bangerjp.com/forums/index.php?topic=2783.0
"If the motor car were invented today, there is absolutely no way that any government in the world would let normal members of the public drive one."

Offline neale_rs

« Reply #32 on: October 07, 2011, 11:26:56 AM »
One thing that helps is that the YJ windshield is almost vertical.  This makes is hard for the sun to hit the dash when the sun is highest in the sky.
'95 YJ, 33 x 12.5 mud tires, RE 4.5 ED lift, Atlas 4 speed, rear D44, ARBs front and rear, 4.56 gears, 8000# winch

Offline aka-justin

« Reply #33 on: October 07, 2011, 05:40:50 PM »
Here's Johnny comes lately!  :driving:

The neatest and useful item I did to the interior was the mag-light holder by the left of the driver’s seat on the floor. I used to set it on the floor, and soon as I hit a decline, it would fly under the clutch pedal or brake. I've mounted the holders both in my YJ and TJ just fine. I must grab my flash light at least once every week. It's nice to have it at the ready.
http://www.maglite.com/product_acc.asp?id=092874359734534&plc=DCELL&psc=4DCELL

« Last Edit: October 07, 2011, 05:42:52 PM by 1995yj »
[1995 YJ 2.5L with 4" lift on 31" KM2 - Sold] 1995yj
[2003 TJ Rubicon 4.0L with 4" lift on 35" Wrangler M/T - Sold]
To be continued...
--Justin

Offline jfrabat

• Gargantuan Mango Tree Mechanic®
  • Finally USING the Jeep!
« Reply #34 on: October 08, 2011, 10:09:42 PM »
Sun block is mostly a moisturizing lotion with some UV protection.  I think most UV protectants like Turtle Wax, Mothers, etc... for interiors use similar moisturizing formulas for leather and vinyl.  The main difference would probably be any fragrances added to the Sun block.  Also, they aren't as oily/greasy as they are designed to be washed off eventually.  The ehow to suggests using UV protectant afterwards which is probably doing most of the work anyway.  Honestly though, the YJ's dash is a really small surface and doesn't get that much light/heat.  I've lived in the tropics for a while and never bothered to use UV protectant.  Although I did occasionally used a windshield sun screen and or parked with the windshield away from the sun.  Never had any problems with the vinyl drying out.

Mine has lived in the tropics for a bit over 5 years AT LEAST (Miami for 3 years, Panama & Costa Rica for 2) and I have no issues with the windshield, and have never used anything to protect it (except maybe a bit of mud and dirt, but that was not intentional!)...
'94 YJ 2.5L with 4" RE lift, Superwinch EPi9.0, FoMoCo e-Fan, SD30 and SD35 w/ARB-5.13, 165A alt., 33" BFG KM2 on 15" AR wheels, Sony sound system, Pavement Ends Hardtop, Hydroboost

Nicks92jeeper

« Reply #35 on: October 08, 2011, 11:12:24 PM »
@ 1995YJ

You don't need the brake anyway right??

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
« Reply #36 on: October 08, 2011, 11:36:27 PM »
Mine has lived in the tropics for a bit over 5 years AT LEAST (Miami for 3 years, Panama & Costa Rica for 2) and I have no issues with the windshield, and have never used anything to protect it (except maybe a bit of mud and dirt, but that was not intentional!)...
I had about 7.  Didn't garage it either.  I don't think it's a real big issue to begin with.
"If the motor car were invented today, there is absolutely no way that any government in the world would let normal members of the public drive one."

YJmechanic

« Reply #37 on: November 12, 2011, 08:14:07 AM »
my dash is outside constantly as i rarely even have the top on mine unless its winter,  and mine looks fine. 

as folr the paint yeah i did all my dash panels in krylon color bond spray paint or something like that,  forget exactly cause its been years

my interior stuff,  yeah i have to agree with jeffy that my mastercrafts are my favorite
then my herco'd tub because i hate rust and liner seals so well.  i also boxed in the rear section of my tub so i have a permanent two seater with lockable sotrage area in the rear,  that makes the lack of top manageable since i can lock the hole rear of the tub up.

other than that i have a sound bar,  wedge speaker holders in the lower roll bar gaps,  a diff head unit,  multiple 50cal ammo cans mounted for recovery gear,  short throw shifter,  aftermarket steering wheel,  tuffy glove vault, jks racing harnesses, bar mounted extinguishers,  and blah blah blah else.  haha i dont retain any factory parts half the time when i decide to build something.  i have tried to make my wrangler as useful interior wise as possible while making it utilitarian. 

YJmechanic

« Reply #38 on: November 12, 2011, 08:16:04 AM »
hey jeffy,  while we are on the subject have your rubicons started fraying material?  mine at the entry points have started coming unweaved at the edges and i have to cutoff and extract a few threads sometimes.  i still really like them for comfort and all but i think im going to have to buy the covers for them eventually

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
« Reply #39 on: November 12, 2011, 12:08:47 PM »
hey jeffy,  while we are on the subject have your rubicons started fraying material?  mine at the entry points have started coming unweaved at the edges and i have to cutoff and extract a few threads sometimes.  i still really like them for comfort and all but i think im going to have to buy the covers for them eventually
Nope BUT I did noticed an area where my sold shorts has velcro for the pocket was fraying a spot on the seat.  I think you should be able to get the seats reskinned.  If you don't lift yourself up high enough, I can see where they would start to fray there though.

YJmechanic

« Reply #40 on: November 13, 2011, 03:04:56 PM »
well the way i have my column and seats/shifters set up its made like a cockpit in mine.  i kinda moved everything around a little so i was more snug and everything is at the most comfortable spot when im in any situation,  problem with that is i have to almost slide down into my seat around the wheel.  i think i may put a race removable wheel in it because i love the way it sits so i dont want to change that.  but yeah i may be able to get someone to redo the material when it get too bad cause the seat is still in great shape.  just figured id ask you cause your the only person i know with the seats other than me

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
« Reply #41 on: November 13, 2011, 05:26:08 PM »
well the way i have my column and seats/shifters set up its made like a cockpit in mine.  i kinda moved everything around a little so i was more snug and everything is at the most comfortable spot when im in any situation,  problem with that is i have to almost slide down into my seat around the wheel.  i think i may put a race removable wheel in it because i love the way it sits so i dont want to change that.  but yeah i may be able to get someone to redo the material when it get too bad cause the seat is still in great shape.  just figured id ask you cause your the only person i know with the seats other than me
Jeeps use a GM steering column so you can use a Grant GT disconnect.  I wasn to use one but I also want to retain my stock wheel.  You might also consider lowering the seat down.  I also want to do this.  I have my seat on the stock mount with the sliders removed.  I have to step up then drop down into my seat.  I don't have a tilt wheel.  I want to go with some Corbeau mounts which will drop the seat an inch or two.

YJmechanic

« Reply #42 on: November 13, 2011, 06:04:33 PM »
i moved all my mounts around for the seats and placed the seats closer to the middle of the jeep to give me a better feel in the vehicle plus its more room before im up against the door too.  i have a grant wheel now so i might just have to get the disconnect hub,  also be good securtiy but at the same time id have to lock it up in the back everytime i had the top off or it would just get stolen probably