Author Topic: ICOM V8000 2m Ham Radio  (Read 1965 times)

Offline jfrabat

• Gargantuan Mango Tree MechanicŪ
  • Finally USING the Jeep!
ICOM V8000 2m Ham Radio
« on: October 02, 2011, 07:57:29 PM »

Well, I finally got this radio installed in the Jeep.  Installation was fairly easy; I kept the 2 inline fuses (25A in both the + and - sides), but even so decided to run the positive to my aux fuse box (I used a 30A fuse there).  I also used 10 gauge wire to make sure I can handle the power this little thing can eat up...  I installed this little unit in the front box of my Tuffy dual overhead console, and I still have some issues to fix, as if my stereo is on, I can hear a THUMP! coming from the subwoofer (I am not sure if it is coming from the electrical side or if it's Rf interference).  I still need to get it tuned, though, so I'll find out after that.  For the time being, I only got a whip antenna, but I am planning on getting also a quarter wave one to use everyday, as the whip is even longer than the CB antenna, and hits my garage door (and everything else).  My plan is to use the quarter wave antenna daily and keep the whip in the Jeep, and IF I need more coverage, then I can change to the whip, but until that needs arises, I keep the quarter wave antenna installed.

Overall, I have to day that this is a pretty good radio; among the best features, I would like to mention the compact size and power output, as well as its ease of programming and mic control.  Of course, it being an ICOM (as in I Can Only Monitor!), it only transmits from 144 to 148 MHz, yet receives from 136 to 174 MHz.  This is one of the main down sides of this radio, with the other one being the voice pick up being a bit odd (at first I thought it was the Yaesu's handheld that I have, but reading on the internet, I found this to be a common complaint about the Icom).  I also like to be able to control the whole radio from the mic (you can actually reach MORE features directly from the mic than you can from the main unit).

Looking online, though, I found a solution for both of the shortcomings: for the voice issue, the solution is to simply increase the mic hole diameter a bit (I also increased the hole on the rubber membrane beneath it).  For this, I too apart the mic and used a hand drill (basically a drill bit with a handle) to open the hole a bit.  I used an X-Acto knife for the rubber membrane.  After that, I retested, and problem solved!  I have also read with possible issues with the PTT micro-switch when it gets dirty, but given the location of the radio, I am thinking I may get away with this one at least for some time...  I also like the fact that you can program the output power for each memory channel, choosing from 5, 10, 25 or 75W (the last one being a good option for simplex operation in the middle of a wooded trail), but looking at the heat sink, I doubt this little unit can sustain prolonged 75W operation without overheating...

As for the Tx frequency, I also found a solution online: simply getting rid of a diode on the board will open up all the other frequencies.  Now, I know there are laws in the US stating that a Ham radio cannot be used to transmit in non-Ham frequencies with a Ham radio, but fortunately, legislation around here is a bit more lax.  Plus, if I get stranded in the middle of nowhere, I rather have the option to call for help to anyone that is listening (including police cars, red cross, or marine frequencies, which I have programmed into my unit).

Speaking of programming, it is fairly easy to do in this unit.  Even I, a newbie, had no problem programming all the frequencies, giving them Alpha Numeric names, and storing them into memory banks to group them.  But programming the frequencies I came upon another little issue that I did not run into with my Yaesu handheld, and that is that you can only use frequency offset for repeater operation, but you cannot program a Rx and Tx frequencies separately.  This is a bit inconvenient, as the Red Cross here uses odd offsets for their repeaters, so out of the 6 zones they cover, I was only able to program 2 frequencies to communicate with them (keep in mind the club is part of the national emergency response team, and we communicate with the RC during emergencies).

Anyway, would I buy this radio again?  I think I would, but I would like to be able to program separate Tx and Rx frequencies separetely.  Other than that, I like everything else.
'94 YJ 2.5L with 4" RE lift, Superwinch EPi9.0, FoMoCo e-Fan, SD30 and SD35 w/ARB-5.13, 165A alt., 33" BFG KM2 on 15" AR wheels, Sony sound system, Pavement Ends Hardtop, Hydroboost

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel BlowerŪ
Re: ICOM V8000 2m Ham Radio
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2011, 09:04:03 PM »
why did you put a fuse on the ground wire?
'95 YJ, NSG370 6spd / Hurst shifter, Dana 300 + 4:1 Doubler / tri-stick, Custom skid, Super D35 / Auburn LSD / 4.88, 35x12.5x15 BFG KM2, 64mm t/b, 1.7 RollerRockers, MkVIII e-fan, Dual Diaph Booster
Latest: Corbeau BajaRS heated seats :dance: keeping warm the rear end

Offline jfrabat

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2011, 06:45:20 PM »

It came with the radio, I did not put it there...  I did not get this either, though...
'94 YJ 2.5L with 4" RE lift, Superwinch EPi9.0, FoMoCo e-Fan, SD30 and SD35 w/ARB-5.13, 165A alt., 33" BFG KM2 on 15" AR wheels, Sony sound system, Pavement Ends Hardtop, Hydroboost

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel BlowerŪ
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2011, 08:01:44 PM »
It came with the radio, I did not put it there...  I did not get this either, though...

weird, i'm spinning wheels in my head trying to understand why. Does it have a permanent 12v and a keyed/switched 12v and one of them is w/o a fuse?
'95 YJ, NSG370 6spd / Hurst shifter, Dana 300 + 4:1 Doubler / tri-stick, Custom skid, Super D35 / Auburn LSD / 4.88, 35x12.5x15 BFG KM2, 64mm t/b, 1.7 RollerRockers, MkVIII e-fan, Dual Diaph Booster
Latest: Corbeau BajaRS heated seats :dance: keeping warm the rear end

Offline jfrabat

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2011, 08:11:16 AM »
weird, i'm spinning wheels in my head trying to understand why. Does it have a permanent 12v and a keyed/switched 12v and one of them is w/o a fuse?

Nope; one +, one - and the antenna input...  That's all.  Positive connected to constant 12V source, negative to the battery (as per instructions; I was going to ground it to the chassis, but heck, I had to route the positive anyway, so I went ahead and brought it all the way to the negative post).

Offline neale_rs

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2011, 12:26:42 PM »

Maybe to be compatible with positive ground British vehicles?  Are they still this way?
'95 YJ, 33 x 12.5 BFG MTs, RE 4.5 ED lift, Atlas 4 speed, rear D44, ARBs front and rear, 4.56 gears, 8000# winch