Author Topic: running hot after changeing heater hose  (Read 2848 times)

Offline grumpygy

Re: running hot after changeing heater hose
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2011, 06:06:59 PM »
I have the 195 in there now,  and no i did not see any movement in the radiator I though it could be the water pump so i pulled the water pump off but it look like new to me. I never replaced the water pump just pulled it off all i replaced was the thermostat.

Which way did the spring face.  Into the Block or into the housing.
94 YJ, Cool Air intake, 19lb Inj, 4.0 Throttlebody with spacer,  31/10.50/15's

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel BlowerŪ
« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2011, 07:39:47 PM »
I have the 195 in there now,  and no i did not see any movement in the radiator I though it could be the water pump so i pulled the water pump off but it look like new to me. I never replaced the water pump just pulled it off all i replaced was the thermostat.

did you put the side with the spring towards the cylinder head (away from the hose side)?
'95 YJ, NSG370 6spd / Hurst shifter, Dana 300 + 4:1 Doubler / tri-stick, Custom skid, Super D35 / Auburn LSD / 4.88, 35x12.5x15 BFG KM2, 64mm t/b, 1.7 RollerRockers, MkVIII e-fan, Dual Diaph Booster
Latest: Corbeau BajaRS heated seats :dance: keeping warm the rear end

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2011, 07:59:41 PM »
I have the 195 in there now,  and no i did not see any movement in the radiator I though it could be the water pump so i pulled the water pump off but it look like new to me. I never replaced the water pump just pulled it off all i replaced was the thermostat.
Is the pump a reverse flow?
Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZNlr60GXH5OlKIFrT7P6mg
My Jeep: http://4bangerjp.com/forums/index.php?topic=2783.0
"If the motor car were invented today, there is absolutely no way that any government in the world would let normal members of the public drive one."

Offline grumpygy

« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2011, 09:42:33 PM »
Just one more question.  What color is the coolant you are using now and what was the color before.
94 YJ, Cool Air intake, 19lb Inj, 4.0 Throttlebody with spacer,  31/10.50/15's

countrymusic1993

« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2011, 06:25:56 AM »
the spring is facing to the block it only fit in one way, the pump should be regular flow I think it is the original and it was working fine before, finally the coolant now is green and the coolant that came out was brown but was originally green.

Nicks92jeeper

« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2011, 08:24:09 AM »
Did you by chance reverse the hoses connection if you changed both?

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel BlowerŪ
« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2011, 09:17:49 AM »
have someone in the car watching the gauge while you keep your hand on the upper hose, when the thermostat opens it will get pretty warm quick so give a signal and the other person read the gauge - your goal here is to see if your gauge shows 260 when the thermostat opens, if that's the case then it's either the thermostat or the gauge/sender. A more unconventional way is to leave the cap out (when the coolant is cold, don't take it off when hot - i'm sure you know but i just mentioned it to be safe) - if it starts boiling before the thermostat opens then that's the problem, if not then it's your gauge or sender.
'95 YJ, NSG370 6spd / Hurst shifter, Dana 300 + 4:1 Doubler / tri-stick, Custom skid, Super D35 / Auburn LSD / 4.88, 35x12.5x15 BFG KM2, 64mm t/b, 1.7 RollerRockers, MkVIII e-fan, Dual Diaph Booster
Latest: Corbeau BajaRS heated seats :dance: keeping warm the rear end

countrymusic1993

« Reply #22 on: October 09, 2011, 09:43:07 AM »
I only changed one hose and I should put my hand on the upper radiator hose right.

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: October 09, 2011, 01:41:12 PM »
A more unconventional way is to leave the cap out (when the coolant is cold, don't take it off when hot - i'm sure you know but i just mentioned it to be safe) - if it starts boiling before the thermostat opens then that's the problem, if not then it's your gauge or sender.

It will start to overflow a little before the thermostat opens.  So you'll want to catch the overflow and add some once the thermostat opens.

I'm still wondering if he got the right water pump though.
Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZNlr60GXH5OlKIFrT7P6mg
My Jeep: http://4bangerjp.com/forums/index.php?topic=2783.0
"If the motor car were invented today, there is absolutely no way that any government in the world would let normal members of the public drive one."

countrymusic1993

« Reply #24 on: October 09, 2011, 04:17:35 PM »
the water pump I took off was the original so unless the factory put the wrong one on it is fine and I just ordered a new pump i figured i would replace it while it is off since it has over 100k on it so i cant do anything until it comes in.  another question though do you have to put any sealer on the inlet pipe or do you just screw it in.

Nicks92jeeper

« Reply #25 on: October 10, 2011, 12:23:03 AM »
What about air in the system? In my Honda if there is air in the system it idles funny and does weird things.

knotts89

« Reply #26 on: October 10, 2011, 12:16:36 PM »
Might want to try and put the same size hose back on it