Author Topic: Gen-Right 4 link swap... EXPENSIVE!  (Read 3348 times)

N8whitie

Gen-Right 4 link swap... EXPENSIVE!
« on: October 14, 2011, 10:16:31 PM »
I was just looking around on the Gen-Right website and they have alot of really nice stuff and it seems pretty expensive.. Kind of like a rich jeepers website and then I came across this suspension kit for 7 grand! Thats alot of cheddar! It seems like you'd just be better off buying a whole new Jeep that was already set up for a 3 or 4 link suspension. Does anyone here have any experience with this?? Can it be done for cheaper than 7 grand? I would maybe eventually like to have a 4 link set up but 7 grand can buy you alot of other upgrades for your jeep to make it trail worthy while I just deal with my leaf sprung suspension. I'm not doing anything else until I get an AX-15 or NV3550 under there anyways, I just like to look ahead while I save up and prepare for my next upgrade.

http://www.genright.com/ProductInfo.aspx?productid=GRCFSKLE

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel Blower®
'95 YJ, NSG370 6spd / Hurst shifter, Dana 300 + 4:1 Doubler / tri-stick, Custom skid, Super D35 / Auburn LSD / 4.88, 35x12.5x15 BFG KM2, 64mm t/b, 1.7 RollerRockers, MkVIII e-fan, Dual Diaph Booster
Latest: Corbeau BajaRS heated seats :dance: keeping warm the rear end

N8whitie

Re: Gen-Right 4 link swap... EXPENSIVE!
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2011, 10:41:00 PM »
that's a fair price for all that's in that kit

Oh, OK. Thanks man, I just didnt know. 7 grand seems like alot of money for a suspension kit but then again I have ZERO experience with that kind of suspension set-up so thats why I was asking. This wouldn't be coming up for a while anyways seing how i just installed a 4.5" BDS kit and I think if I really did want a set-up like for more flex that I could get a whole Jeep with it already in for close to 7 grand... or keep mine and do an SOA.

If I decide to go for an SOA will that provide a noticeable difference in terms of flex??

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel Blower®
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2011, 12:00:28 AM »
Oh, OK. Thanks man, I just didnt know. 7 grand seems like alot of money for a suspension kit but then again I have ZERO experience with that kind of suspension set-up so thats why I was asking. This wouldn't be coming up for a while anyways seing how i just installed a 4.5" BDS kit and I think if I really did want a set-up like for more flex that I could get a whole Jeep with it already in for close to 7 grand... or keep mine and do an SOA.

If I decide to go for an SOA will that provide a noticeable difference in terms of flex??

as far as flex i believe that would be similar to what Art did (big yeller thread in member's projects) - he's got longer arms so that's more flex due to more throw but you can get an idea of the angles if you look at his build (i think his coilovers are the same).

you don't have to buy that whole kit though, comes with stretch corner guards and custom tank and skid, you could just go with the suspension although the tank is meant to provide room for the axle since it will move it back some.

It's a lot of work involved though.

EDIT: i misread what you meant regarding flex - don't know if SOA will give you more flex compared to SUA
« Last Edit: October 15, 2011, 12:02:30 AM by sharpxmen »
'95 YJ, NSG370 6spd / Hurst shifter, Dana 300 + 4:1 Doubler / tri-stick, Custom skid, Super D35 / Auburn LSD / 4.88, 35x12.5x15 BFG KM2, 64mm t/b, 1.7 RollerRockers, MkVIII e-fan, Dual Diaph Booster

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2011, 11:58:47 AM »
$7000 is a lot of dough.  Not to mention you'll be spending a couple more thousand on coil-overs.  You would be better off spending it on either custom SUA leafs or an SOA.  Uses the thousands you save on an Atlas 4.0 and still should have money for a custom built axle.
Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZNlr60GXH5OlKIFrT7P6mg
My Jeep: http://4bangerjp.com/forums/index.php?topic=2783.0
"If the motor car were invented today, there is absolutely no way that any government in the world would let normal members of the public drive one."

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel Blower®
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2011, 12:46:45 PM »
$7000 is a lot of dough.  Not to mention you'll be spending a couple more thousand on coil-overs.  You would be better off spending it on either custom SUA leafs or an SOA.  Uses the thousands you save on an Atlas 4.0 and still should have money for a custom built axle.
it comes with the coilovers in the kit, there's an extra $200 if you want the remote reservoir shocks.

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2011, 04:35:22 PM »
it comes with the coilovers in the kit, there's an extra $200 if you want the remote reservoir shocks.
Ah, didnt' see that.  Still a lot you can do for $7000.  I know some industry people who don't like Gen-Right.  Too bad no one has copyrighted their designs.
"If the motor car were invented today, there is absolutely no way that any government in the world would let normal members of the public drive one."

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel Blower®
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2011, 05:56:01 PM »
Ah, didnt' see that.  Still a lot you can do for $7000.  I know some industry people who don't like Gen-Right.  Too bad no one has copyrighted their designs.

you can probably get it cheaper if you source them out individually

Offline FourbangerYJ

• Servicing Squirrels Since 1995®
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2011, 07:13:35 PM »

Agreed!  :rant:
Scott~

Using tools you have not used in a while is like shaking hands with old friends. :nod:

N8whitie

« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2011, 10:14:51 PM »
Yeah, for 7 grand I could have my Jeep almost built up the way I want it and just deal with my BDS 4.5 which is doing good so far... although I havent done anything crazy with it yet and wont until I get a new tranny and axles/lockers. I do like the way those 4 link set-ups flex though and it would be nice to have flex like that on my YJ.... I would just have a hard time getting around that pricetag.

Offline aw12345

• my jeep picture page
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2011, 11:07:07 PM »
Genright  makes nice parts, but they are way overpriced for anything they sell.
It's a nice bunch of parts that you can make a good suspension out of. You could most likely get most all of that from Poly Performance for less. The Gen Right kit works pretty well though. Wheeled with 2 Jeepers in JV that both had that kit on their YJ's and those worked just about as good as my home built Jeep  :dance:
2006 Jeep Wrangler TJ SE
2004 Jeep Wrangler TJ SE

N8whitie

« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2011, 08:07:48 AM »
Genright  makes nice parts, but they are way overpriced for anything they sell.
It's a nice bunch of parts that you can make a good suspension out of. You could most likely get most all of that from Poly Performance for less. The Gen Right kit works pretty well though. Wheeled with 2 Jeepers in JV that both had that kit on their YJ's and those worked just about as good as my home built Jeep  :dance:

You have Big Yeller right? That's a real nice rig man. How did you figure out how to do your suspension?  Did you do all of the work yourself? So far I've done all of the work myself on my jeep and Is like to keep it that way but if I decided to go with a 4 link swap I might have to outsource it seeing how I don't have all of the equipment and tools needed. I might just eventually go with an SOA... I think that it will provide enough flex and clearance for what I'm using it for... probably nothing much harder than The Rubicon Trail.

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2011, 01:37:05 PM »
You have Big Yeller right? That's a real nice rig man. How did you figure out how to do your suspension?  Did you do all of the work yourself? So far I've done all of the work myself on my jeep and Is like to keep it that way but if I decided to go with a 4 link swap I might have to outsource it seeing how I don't have all of the equipment and tools needed. I might just eventually go with an SOA... I think that it will provide enough flex and clearance for what I'm using it for... probably nothing much harder than The Rubicon Trail.
You don't really need a multi-link for the Rubicon.  I suggest driving it once then deciding what else you actually need.  The big bucks stuff looks nice but unless you really need it, it's just a waste.  The Rubicon isn't that hard a trail.  A Stock Jeep with 31's can do it.  Of course it's not going to be humping the rocks at Little Sluice but it can finish the trail.  With some minor tweaking you can probably get more out of your existing suspension which isn't that bad to begin with.  More then enough for the Rubicon.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2011, 01:37:19 PM by Jeffy »

Torch_Ind

« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2011, 01:48:18 PM »
If I was going to spend that much on a yj I would sell it and go to a tj rubi and lift it

Offline aw12345

• my jeep picture page
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2011, 02:27:24 PM »
Rubicons other than the transfercase are way overblown, quite a few peeps end up selling of most of the rubicon parts and changing those parts with better stuff.
Out of the box they do ok, but they have their short comings when you start getting carried away
2006 Jeep Wrangler TJ SE
2004 Jeep Wrangler TJ SE