Author Topic: Lubing my chassis and I see it's leaking  (Read 2420 times)

Offline aka-justin

Lubing my chassis and I see it's leaking
« on: October 17, 2011, 01:24:09 AM »
I'm almost 100% certain that all of your inner-child chuckled at my subject...

Anyway, I've been putting off getting my fat a$$ under my rig and hitting everything with grease. Finally did it. It's got the lower teraflex long arm kit, so the axle side joints get hit with grease - found one blown out bushing and the cause of a periodic thump, hit the u-joints and the tom woods rear drive shaft - some seemed dry, and the upper steering knuckle and tie rods - found a seeping front axle seal. Also, I need to figure out if my e-brake springs are on right. I put them back the way they were, but they're both not auto-adjusting.

Needless to say, parts are on the way from Summit and Quadratec. Photos of my destruction... err.... repair will be soon to come!  :wall: Granted my homework permits.

With all the crap said, even though I haven't had time to participate too much, I've had a good time catching up on posts and driving my new rig. I felt like I was in solitary confinement driving my Focus day in and day out; mainly from being locked onto pavement and in a small car. I put a bluetooth Sony head unit in it too, but I spared you all any details. The simplest thing I could say is that installed easily and works better than expected. I ordered the Sony DSX-S300BTX from crutchfield and it included all the wires and dash kit with a picture step by step guide for $160 shipped - their flat out awesome. By the way, I have a referral code if anyone hasn't shopped at crutchfield before to save $20 - pghjc-qve6j-vsgyj.

Alright, enough of my ramblings. Until later, later.
[1995 YJ 2.5L with 4" lift on 31" KM2 - Sold] 1995yj
[2003 TJ Rubicon 4.0L with 4" lift on 35" Wrangler M/T - Sold]
To be continued...
--Justin

Offline aka-justin

Re: Lubing my chassis and I see it's leaking
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2011, 11:22:14 AM »
Finally attacked my jeep.

Couple of things I had planned.
  • Done. Fix the one blown out TeraFlex bushing
  • Pending. Replace leaking seal on front D44 axle.
  • Pending. Put the original D44 cover back on the rear (the aftermarket one bashes the gas tank.)
  • Pending. Replace some of the straps for the U joints with the U bolt conversion. http://www.jeeptech.com/axle/aub.html

I replaced a blown out front TeraFlex lower arm bushing. I bought the Repair Kit # 1951000, and it came with everything except a tool to squeeze the new bushings and washers together. I figured I could get with sockets and spare crap laying around. 40 min in, I realized I had made an unwise decision and need a good snap ring tool before I do this ever again.

The axle seals came next. I got the hubs off, drained the gear oil, and pulled the axle shafts. I took a look at the shafts to see anything obvious to why the seal failed. I'm pretty sure I found my reason - passenger side inside of shaft splines are twisted. I put everything back together and filled it back with fluid until I can get a replacement shaft. No point in putting a new seal in if I may need to do this again.

Pics:

The stuff

TeraFlex Joint Rebuild

There's more photos of the TeraFlex rebuild here: https://picasaweb.google.com/cajeeper/D44FrontAxle#

Attempting the seal replacement

The leak

The currie HD drag link will need to come out of the way.

Oh Barnacles!

« Last Edit: October 30, 2011, 11:25:51 AM by 1995yj »
To be continued...
--Justin

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2011, 12:21:31 PM »
A quicker way to pull the shafts is to just leave them bolted to the bearing hub and pull them out as one unit.
Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZNlr60GXH5OlKIFrT7P6mg
My Jeep: http://4bangerjp.com/forums/index.php?topic=2783.0
"If the motor car were invented today, there is absolutely no way that any government in the world would let normal members of the public drive one."

Offline aka-justin

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2011, 11:13:36 PM »
A quicker way to pull the shafts is to just leave them bolted to the bearing hub and pull them out as one unit.

I was contemplating that. Thanks for the tip. Ordered parts, should be here soon. TPS just went out, oh well.
To be continued...
--Justin

Offline aka-justin

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2011, 11:56:24 PM »
Still no axle, so I contact drivetrainsuperstore.com late Friday. They responded with it have been delivered on Nov. 8. Called FedEx, they had the wrong address given from the shipper; my order has the right confirmation. Even stopped by the wrong addressed and spoke with the residence, not there.

Long story short, they're going to have one chance to fix this on Monday.    :slapfight:
« Last Edit: November 20, 2011, 11:57:56 PM by 1995yj »
To be continued...
--Justin

Offline aka-justin

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2011, 11:56:04 PM »
Revoked my charge and ordered from SummitRacing. Next time, I'll listen to my gut feeling. Hopefully, the next post will be some real details.
To be continued...
--Justin

Offline aka-justin

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2011, 12:22:23 AM »
I just received my Omix-Ada axle. I'm impressed with the use of a spicer u-joint and the obvious signs of quality, but the buck stopped at the packing/shipping materials. They could have spent a few dollars in protecting the shaft from shipping damage. The only sign of damage is the inner dust ring for the hub bearing on the outer shaft.

I'll be tapping out those dings and installing it this weekend. I've been itching for a month now to get my 4x4 back. Two snowy weekends have come and past.  :fitz:

To be continued...
--Justin

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2011, 01:00:20 PM »
Wow, I'd maybe contact them to let them know.  It looks like the box ends were taped pretty well.  It's just the shipper was better at opening them.
Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZNlr60GXH5OlKIFrT7P6mg
My Jeep: http://4bangerjp.com/forums/index.php?topic=2783.0
"If the motor car were invented today, there is absolutely no way that any government in the world would let normal members of the public drive one."

Offline aka-justin

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2011, 05:04:52 PM »
Wow, I'd maybe contact them to let them know.  It looks like the box ends were taped pretty well.  It's just the shipper was better at opening them.

Oh... I did. I asked and got $40 back. If it wasn't just a dust cover, I would have returned it. The manufacture actually packs and ships directly even though I ordered it from Summit - buyer beware: Omix-ADA doesn't care too much about their shipping.  :nono:
To be continued...
--Justin

Offline aka-justin

« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2011, 09:59:35 PM »
w00t... I just finished putting everything back together. Man I'm beat. I'm going to go test drive it and see how it holds up. I can finally use 4x4 again!

Things I spent way too long to do today:

Fixed the dust cover on the banged up replacement passenger side axle shaft
Disassembled the front Dana 44
(Took some photos, but at this point it died. I need some new rechargeable.)
Installed two new inner seals
Reassembled the front Dana 44 with new replacement passenger side axle shaft
Put in some Redline 75-140w
Took off the ape-hiney-red diff. cover from the rear diff
Reinstalled the stock diff. cover with a new gasket and more Redline 75-140w

Last couple of weeks; I installed new brake pads front and rear. Also, had to readjust the e-brake auto-adjuster; it felt like I'd pull the damn handle to the sky before it would barely if grab at all. I just noticed I hadn’t done the u-joint straps to u-bolt conversion, but I think I’m going to leave it around for now.

So far, I've spent $425 since I started. The rear axle was around $330 just a few months back. My damn pockets keep looking empty.... but, it's damn worth it! Off for some night trailing and parking lot domination.

To be continued...
--Justin

Offline aka-justin

« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2011, 02:02:37 PM »
Test drove so great, I blew out a rear shock... which has been leaking everywhere.  :digdeeper:
Thanks to sharpxmen, I should be good this weekend.  :thumbsup:
To be continued...
--Justin