Author Topic: valve train troublshooting  (Read 2688 times)

SDWE61988

valve train troublshooting
« on: November 05, 2011, 04:57:25 PM »
OK I need some help trouble shooting my engine problems.  I think I narrowed the problem to the top end of the engine.  I was worried the connecting rods were the problem at first, but basaed on the sound and what I found yesterday, I think I have ruled them out.  I pulled the valve cover and inspected the lifters valve assy and pushrods.  I found that 6 of the push rods rotated freely when I turned them with my hand and 2 of them appear frozen, and will not spin.  Are those 2 that wont spin my problem?  What should I look for that would be freezing them up? 

Offline grumpygy

Re: valve train troublshooting
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2011, 05:11:52 PM »
Rotate the engine so that they are not compressed.
94 YJ, Cool Air intake, 19lb Inj, 4.0 Throttlebody with spacer,  31/10.50/15's

SDWE61988

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2011, 05:26:22 PM »
I was wondering if that was the case for those 2 valves.  I will try that tomorrow If I get a chance to work on it.  What should I looking for in the case of a sticking lifter? 

Offline aw12345

• my jeep picture page
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2011, 05:42:09 PM »
If your engine noise is a clicking sound that goes up and down with engine rpm just let it idle with the valve cover off and listen to the rocker arms with a stethoscope or long screw driver should make it easy to spot the clicking valve lifter. If they aren't noise take a piece of vacuum hose and listen around the exhaust manifold for leaks
2006 Jeep Wrangler TJ SE
2004 Jeep Wrangler TJ SE

SDWE61988

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2011, 07:10:18 AM »
OK, I will try that tonight.  Thanks.

SDWE61988

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2011, 07:02:59 AM »
Ok, after starting up the jeep last night without the valve cover on, and listening to them,  I no longer think this a valve train issue at all.  They are all moving as they should and the noise is definately coming from down below.  It It is very loud in the front and in the the oil pan, so I may pull the timing cover this weekend (the next time I will be able to work on it) and look at that.

Torch_Ind

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2011, 05:30:03 PM »
Ok, after starting up the jeep last night without the valve cover on, and listening to them,  I no longer think this a valve train issue at all.  They are all moving as they should and the noise is definately coming from down below.  It It is very loud in the front and in the the oil pan, so I may pull the timing cover this weekend (the next time I will be able to work on it) and look at that.

eeekkk.  did you look under the jeep for rods hanging out?

SDWE61988

« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2011, 11:12:13 AM »
No rods, yet.  I really hope at his point it is the timing chain.  I really don't have that kind of luck though.

Torch_Ind

« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2011, 04:47:42 PM »
No rods, yet.  I really hope at his point it is the timing chain.  I really don't have that kind of luck though.

well my luck was a big hole in the oil pan and block and a chopped off cam lol  no warning other noise wise till it let go for me. cruising down the highway braaappppp clunk crunch dumped the clutch and coasted to the side of the road while looking in my rear view watching serp belt fly along with metal junks and a huge oil cloud/ slick lol.  I didn't even have to shut the engine off I dumped the clutch peddle to stop the transmission from spinning the engine cause I was doing 50-60mph pulling a trailer when it happen. oh and roughly 2 hour drive away lol...  I was lucky enough to have a friend driving buy stop and take my trailer home for me at least lol thats the best of my luck lol.

hope it's nothing large.

SDWE61988

« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2011, 06:32:50 PM »
Well, I just got finished changing the timing chain, (the old one looked OK , but I had a newer one sitting around)  and that was not the problem. The noise is just as load and from the lower part of the engine.  This does not look good for me.  It might be time to let this beast go.   :brick:

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel BlowerŪ
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2011, 08:12:27 PM »
Well, I just got finished changing the timing chain, (the old one looked OK , but I had a newer one sitting around)  and that was not the problem. The noise is just as load and from the lower part of the engine.  This does not look good for me.  It might be time to let this beast go.   :brick:

could be piston skirt so that wouldn't be as dramatic as the bearings but you can't tell until you take at least the pan out.
'95 YJ, NSG370 6spd / Hurst shifter, Dana 300 + 4:1 Doubler / tri-stick, Custom skid, Super D35 / Auburn LSD / 4.88, 35x12.5x15 BFG KM2, 64mm t/b, 1.7 RollerRockers, MkVIII e-fan, Dual Diaph Booster
Latest: Corbeau BajaRS heated seats :dance: keeping warm the rear end

SDWE61988

« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2011, 07:20:10 AM »
If it turned out to be a piston skirt, I would then have to, drop the crankshaft  and/or pull the head and pull the pistons correct?  whatever it is at this point, it appears to be major engine work.  Man, this sucks!  I got a ton of time and money invested in this rig.  I really don't have the cash perform something like that right now and now winter is knocking our door here.  Luckily I have my charger to get to work, an so on, however it is terrible in the snow.  I hate even driving it in the rain, because it slips and slides every where. All season tires my A@#$.  $1200 on tires for the charger, and they still suck in inclement weather.  Oh well, that is another rant for another forum.  The question here is, what to I do about this jeep?

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel BlowerŪ
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2011, 10:04:21 AM »
If it turned out to be a piston skirt, I would then have to, drop the crankshaft  and/or pull the head and pull the pistons correct? 
just the oil pan and cyl head, crank stays in place - depends on how the cylinder looks like, if there are scratches on the wall or not. If the cylinder looks fine at a minimum you could replace that piston with a second hand one, not the best solution (should replace all 4 to be balanced) but if you want something to get you back on the road cheap it can be done that way, same year piston should be fine.
'95 YJ, NSG370 6spd / Hurst shifter, Dana 300 + 4:1 Doubler / tri-stick, Custom skid, Super D35 / Auburn LSD / 4.88, 35x12.5x15 BFG KM2, 64mm t/b, 1.7 RollerRockers, MkVIII e-fan, Dual Diaph Booster

SDWE61988

« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2011, 01:51:56 PM »
Thank you for the advice.  I will have to consider that as an option.  Are there any special tools needed to putting in another set of pistons (something to compress the rings enough to slide them into the cylinders etc)?  I thought that the cylinders needed to be honed if you replaced the pistons, regardless if the walls were scratched or not. 

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel BlowerŪ
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2011, 02:13:45 PM »
Thank you for the advice.  I will have to consider that as an option.  Are there any special tools needed to putting in another set of pistons (something to compress the rings enough to slide them into the cylinders etc)?  I thought that the cylinders needed to be honed if you replaced the pistons, regardless if the walls were scratched or not. 

lots of other things not just honing, at a minimum just try to take the glaze off on the one you're replacing, if it's scratched i wouldnt bother, just get a fair takeoff from the j/y - maybe that's a better option to begin with and keep your cyl head