Author Topic: Looking for headers for my TJ 2001 4 banger.  (Read 2857 times)

Offline andpgud

Looking for headers for my TJ 2001 4 banger.
« on: November 10, 2011, 11:39:50 AM »
Ok guys.
Time for some headers. What would you recommend for my 2001 TJ?

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel Blower®
Re: Looking for headers for my TJ 2001 4 banger.
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2011, 12:34:31 PM »
Ok guys.
Time for some headers. What would you recommend for my 2001 TJ?

i don't think there are many options out there. as far as i know your choices are banks and pacesetter, banks is Stainless but it has short tubes, pacesetter is plain steel or ceramic coated, better design but the material and workmanship is not that great (weld were fairly crappy at the 4 in 1 collector in my case). Pacesetter is also significantly cheaper, but like i said the quality is better on the banks from what i know.

There used to be a 2 in 2 in 1 design that worked best but can't remember what brand, seems that is not available anymore anyway.
'95 YJ, NSG370 6spd / Hurst shifter, Dana 300 + 4:1 Doubler / tri-stick, Custom skid, Super D35 / Auburn LSD / 4.88, 35x12.5x15 BFG KM2, 64mm t/b, 1.7 RollerRockers, MkVIII e-fan, Dual Diaph Booster
Latest: Corbeau BajaRS heated seats :dance: keeping warm the rear end

Offline FourbangerYJ

• Servicing Squirrels Since 1995®
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2011, 02:30:50 PM »
See if http://www.stans-headers.com/ these guy's can make you one. I would imagine they have made one before. I don't know anyone running one, but I do like what I see on their site!
Scott~

Using tools you have not used in a while is like shaking hands with old friends. :nod:

Offline andpgud

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2011, 05:41:16 PM »
I am actually looking for a design that you would recommend me and then a friend of mine would weld for me.

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2011, 06:55:40 PM »
Pacesetter isn't a bad design but their quality sucks.  Build it out of stainless steel and it would be nice.  A tri-Y or 4-2-1 is good for mid-range.  4-1 is more popular for racing.  I believe the Clifford is a 4-1 design.  These are your two basic designs for long tube headers.
Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZNlr60GXH5OlKIFrT7P6mg
My Jeep: http://4bangerjp.com/forums/index.php?topic=2783.0
"If the motor car were invented today, there is absolutely no way that any government in the world would let normal members of the public drive one."

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel Blower®
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2011, 08:30:09 PM »
I am actually looking for a design that you would recommend me and then a friend of mine would weld for me.

don't even bother trying to copy one of the Jeep designs, i would just get a racing type header done with equal lengths and 4 in 2 in 1 . some reconfiguration of the power steering mount would be needed to ge the pipe out straight from the cyl#1 and keep the bend radius as large as possible.

Otherwise just buy a pacesetter, it's not worth the time to fabricate it unless you go with something radical that you can't buy off the shelf.
'95 YJ, NSG370 6spd / Hurst shifter, Dana 300 + 4:1 Doubler / tri-stick, Custom skid, Super D35 / Auburn LSD / 4.88, 35x12.5x15 BFG KM2, 64mm t/b, 1.7 RollerRockers, MkVIII e-fan, Dual Diaph Booster

Offline Hunter02

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2011, 10:07:32 PM »
Have you talked to anyone that's put headers on a 2.5l? I've found that about all 4cyl with headers lose alot of 'drivabililty'; low-end torque, throttle response and such. The exhaust you have on there now handles the breathing for a 4.0l, so unless you've done something to get the horses up over the 150 mark, and plan to spend a lot of time in the 3300-5000 rpm range, I can't see where the noise is worth it. Back in the 70s I put a set of headers on a '66 CJ with a 134F-head and I'll never even think about it again.
My 2cents.     Jim

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel Blower®
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2011, 11:30:43 PM »
Have you talked to anyone that's put headers on a 2.5l? I've found that about all 4cyl with headers lose alot of 'drivabililty'; low-end torque, throttle response and such. The exhaust you have on there now handles the breathing for a 4.0l, so unless you've done something to get the horses up over the 150 mark, and plan to spend a lot of time in the 3300-5000 rpm range, I can't see where the noise is worth it. Back in the 70s I put a set of headers on a '66 CJ with a 134F-head and I'll never even think about it again.
My 2cents.     Jim

you're comparing 2 different engines, different generations, etc.

SDWE61988

« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2011, 07:21:49 AM »
I have a banks header on my 4 banger and I think it increased overall driveablity.  It is a not it will win any races or anything but I do feel the throttle response is better.    Probably not as much top end as a pacesetter header but I don't spend much time there anyway.

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2011, 12:42:29 PM »
My 2cents.     Jim
Yes, you'd lose some low end torque by gaining high end HP.  You can fine tune this by just changing out the air box for a open element filter, exhaust length, dia. etc...  This is why most companies produce a tri-y or a shorty so it helps the mids and keeps the lows.  You have to decide which way you want to go.

Noise isn't really an issue unless you're not running a cat or muffler.
"If the motor car were invented today, there is absolutely no way that any government in the world would let normal members of the public drive one."

Torch_Ind

« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2011, 03:59:12 PM »
Pacesetter isn't a bad design but their quality sucks.  Build it out of stainless steel and it would be nice.  A tri-Y or 4-2-1 is good for mid-range.  4-1 is more popular for racing.  I believe the Clifford is a 4-1 design.  These are your two basic designs for long tube headers.

still no issue with my pacesetter.. quite raging on there quality. it's no different then what your local exhaust shop uses for pipe..  

just use a stock gasket when you put it on not the one provided.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2011, 04:00:20 PM by Torch_Ind »

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2011, 04:20:19 PM »

still no issue with my pacesetter.. quite raging on there quality. it's no different then what your local exhaust shop uses for pipe.. 

just use a stock gasket when you put it on not the one provided.
If you're happy with yours then that's fine.

Torch_Ind

« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2011, 04:57:06 PM »
If you're happy with yours then that's fine.

:thumb: I am.  seen a lot of banks ones crack ya you got warranty but your rig is down cause of it...  seen lots of cast stock manifold crack to. so to me my pacesetter has outlasted most of the others already

Offline jfrabat

• Gargantuan Mango Tree Mechanic®
  • Finally USING the Jeep!
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2011, 02:41:45 PM »
See if http://www.stans-headers.com/ these guy's can make you one. I would imagine they have made one before. I don't know anyone running one, but I do like what I see on their site!

I contacted them; they dont carry them.  They can make them if you bring the Jeep in, though (not an option for me, as I am a gazillion miles away!).
'94 YJ 2.5L with 4" RE lift, Superwinch EPi9.0, FoMoCo e-Fan, SD30 and SD35 w/ARB-5.13, 165A alt., 33" BFG KM2 on 15" AR wheels, Sony sound system, Pavement Ends Hardtop, Hydroboost