Author Topic: ELECTRIC FAN or NOT ?  (Read 9026 times)

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel BlowerŪ
Re: ELECTRIC FAN or NOT ?
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2011, 11:53:10 AM »
Sounds good. Hey how is the hayden fan holding up for you. Do you know how many CFMs it has and what is the amp pull on that unit?

I don't have a Hayden fan, i have a nice Lincoln Mk-VIII fan which is gigantic, pulls a ton of CFM (can't remember exactly but nothing else came close when i looked into it).

I use a Hayden fan controller and the low speed on the mk8 fan (my low speed is thru a ballast resistor) - my fan pulls below 20 amps on low speed and below 30 on high speed, i tested this with 2 fuses, low speed held fine on the 20 amp fuse but blew on the high speed, replaced it with the 30 amp and held no problem. I am planning to get another controller for the high speed portion, but so far the low speed holds the temperature just fine - am thinking that in a really hot day under load might not be enough, for this time of year will be more than fine though.

the nice thing about the mk8 fan is the lower rpm (from what i can tell) and the well designed fan blades which makes it less noisy for the amount of airflow compared to the aftermarket fans - and on top of that is just perfect for the YJ/TJ radiator size covering it nicely with no empty spaces.

'95 YJ, NSG370 6spd / Hurst shifter, Dana 300 + 4:1 Doubler / tri-stick, Custom skid, Super D35 / Auburn LSD / 4.88, 35x12.5x15 BFG KM2, 64mm t/b, 1.7 RollerRockers, MkVIII e-fan, Dual Diaph Booster
Latest: Corbeau BajaRS heated seats :dance: keeping warm the rear end

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2011, 12:33:00 PM »
Here in europe we use the fan from a peaugeot laguna 2.0 v8.
What if I just connect it to a termostat. Do I need the switch to be able to turn it off? I never go under water.
The engine's thermostat?  You need one that will turn it on around 195-210* and turn off at anything less.  An on an off switch is nice to have but if you're not planning on any foreseeable future water crossings then you can leave it out.  Although the switch is cheap.
Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZNlr60GXH5OlKIFrT7P6mg
My Jeep: http://4bangerjp.com/forums/index.php?topic=2783.0
"If the motor car were invented today, there is absolutely no way that any government in the world would let normal members of the public drive one."

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel BlowerŪ
« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2011, 12:35:02 PM »
The engine's thermostat? 

he probably meant a thermostatic switch (that's what came to mind reading his post).
'95 YJ, NSG370 6spd / Hurst shifter, Dana 300 + 4:1 Doubler / tri-stick, Custom skid, Super D35 / Auburn LSD / 4.88, 35x12.5x15 BFG KM2, 64mm t/b, 1.7 RollerRockers, MkVIII e-fan, Dual Diaph Booster

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2011, 12:37:05 PM »
he probably meant a thermostatic switch (that's what came to mind reading his post).
I was thinking one of the temp senders, ECM or the gauge.
"If the motor car were invented today, there is absolutely no way that any government in the world would let normal members of the public drive one."

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel BlowerŪ
« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2011, 01:03:23 PM »
I was thinking one of the temp senders, ECM or the gauge.

if that's what he meant then no, you can't do that, at a minimum he'll need a thermostatic switch with a relay or a fan controller like the one i have (Hayden 3651) or the one you're using (can't remember the brand) or any of the other ones available out there.

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2011, 02:53:14 PM »
if that's what he meant then no, you can't do that, at a minimum he'll need a thermostatic switch with a relay or a fan controller like the one i have (Hayden 3651) or the one you're using (can't remember the brand) or any of the other ones available out there.
Mine's a Flex-A-lite but I'm sure they don't actually make it.  http://www.amazon.com/Flex---lite-31147-Adjustable-Temperature/dp/B00029J3ZW/ref=sr_1_2?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1321393907&sr=1-2  Works fine once I switched from a ATC blade fuse to a Circuit Breaker.

Offline grumpygy

« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2011, 05:56:59 PM »
94 YJ, Cool Air intake, 19lb Inj, 4.0 Throttlebody with spacer,  31/10.50/15's

Offline easyup

« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2011, 07:21:01 PM »
In Tucson this summer, max air conditioning, stop and go in town, my Mk8 kept us cool on low speed.  I just used a relay and a cheap temp switch.

quicksand

« Reply #23 on: November 16, 2011, 12:14:43 AM »
Not trying to go off topic here, but I have a question, along with my upgrades, cold air, bigger bore TB, spacer, and accel coil and more yada, yada, yada. I have that 42,000 volt coil, 8mm wires, with NGKs with bigger gap. I started gapping bigger little by little at first awhile back it was .037 then just recently it was gapped at .039 and as I was getting more air in with the TB bored a little more I gapped to .040 and she ran even better. Thats with good response, idle and top speed. OK so I just recently made a slightly bigger bore to my TB and she is running faster. The QUESTION IS should I gap my plugs a bit bigger to macth the air fuel ratio. what is considered to big a gap. I guess I want to macth the increase of air coming in to make sure air and fuel ignites completly. I now this can probably be done with a air/fuel meter or something but I dont have one. I was thinking of just bumping up the gap to .041 or is that unheard of ?

quicksand

« Reply #24 on: November 16, 2011, 12:21:57 AM »
Just remembed thats why that came to mind when I punch it going uphill the exhaust smells just a litle fummy like it did awhile back. Just got that little fummy smell since I just bored out TB a lil more.

YJmechanic

« Reply #25 on: November 16, 2011, 07:30:19 AM »
 Sounds like u need an afr gauge and no that gap is not crazy j have had mine at 50 with no problems I run a simple narrow band just to get a rough idea what's going km hut if u want to be technical u can run a wide band o2

quicksand

« Reply #26 on: November 16, 2011, 02:20:34 PM »
Sounds good , so I sould be OK to try to gap to .041 or maybe .042. What would you say max is? Thanks

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel BlowerŪ
« Reply #27 on: November 16, 2011, 02:36:49 PM »
i can't help you with the gap but just fyi your gap has nothing to do with your AFR (they are unrelated), you should always run the appropriate gap (whatever that is in your case with your coil setup) regardless if your AFR is 14.7 or 11 or anywhere in between. for what is worth with a larger gap and too rich of a mixture you're more likely to get misfires than with a smaller gap.

another note, having a larger t/b, intake, etc will increase your AFR (more air) and not the other way around (more fuel) so if you have fumes (black smoke) then something's wrong. on the other hand if you're not at WOT the afr will always be 14.7 unless you did something dramatic like running large injectors that cannot be compensated by the PCM fuel trims (or the other way around being lean with too small injectors) or if your O2 sensor is busted.

YJmechanic

« Reply #28 on: November 16, 2011, 07:13:17 PM »
i agree that gap doesnt affect afr dirrectly,  but everythig fuel related will in the long run,  and yes too big a gap is more likely to misfire if the spark sint strong enough to bridge the gap.  he sounded like he was running to rich and a gauge is only real way to know

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: November 16, 2011, 07:55:19 PM »
Sounds good , so I sould be OK to try to gap to .041 or maybe .042. What would you say max is? Thanks
That will depend on the resistance in the wires and the output at the coil.  For my PD system, I have my gap at 0.063"