Author Topic: Severe clunk/rattle when in 4wd  (Read 2078 times)

calvinh

Severe clunk/rattle when in 4wd
« on: November 19, 2011, 03:25:14 PM »
Whenever I'm in 4wd and the system is under load (accelerating, letting the clutch out) there is a severe banging/clunking noise from the front end.

Could it be the front driveshaft u joint? It only does it in 4wd, and does it while going in a straight line as well as turning.

I know its not bad gears in the differential, as I had the cover off last week and they are in perfect condition.

If it is the driveshaft, is it an easy DIY job? How much could I expect to pay a shop to do it?

Thanks!

Offline chardrc

Re: Severe clunk/rattle when in 4wd
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2011, 04:21:10 PM »
u-joints for the drive shaft or axle shafts would fit the description.
1990 YJ 4cly, ax5, 2.5 inch BDS lift, 31 MTr\'s,  Powertrax-lockers all around, track-bars removed, boomerang shackles, warn m8000 winch, electric fan. [sold but not forgotten]

2007 jk Rubicon 2dr

Offline FourbangerYJ

• Servicing Squirrels Since 1995®
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2011, 04:40:46 PM »
Grab hold of the front drive shaft and give it a good push pull from side to side and up and down. There should be very little if any play. If you have a bunch then it's time for new joints. They are pretty easy to swap. I would bet if you youtubed changing drive shaft U joints there is a lot of video on how to do it.
Scott~

Using tools you have not used in a while is like shaking hands with old friends. :nod:

calvinh

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2011, 08:45:42 PM »
Ok, I think it might be the transfer case chain slipping. The noise I'm experiencing is like this, just not as bad. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xIKq-ihpzQI

Is the chain replacement on a np231 pretty easy?

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel Blower®
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2011, 09:11:05 PM »
Ok, I think it might be the transfer case chain slipping. The noise I'm experiencing is like this, just not as bad. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xIKq-ihpzQI

Is the chain replacement on a np231 pretty easy?

i doubt it but if that's it you'd need to take it apart, not hard but keep track of all the parts.
'95 YJ, NSG370 6spd / Hurst shifter, Dana 300 + 4:1 Doubler / tri-stick, Custom skid, Super D35 / Auburn LSD / 4.88, 35x12.5x15 BFG KM2, 64mm t/b, 1.7 RollerRockers, MkVIII e-fan, Dual Diaph Booster
Latest: Corbeau BajaRS heated seats :dance: keeping warm the rear end

Offline Bounty Hunter

• http://www.sija.org
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2011, 08:20:15 PM »
A stretched chain will cause a banging noise when in 4wd and under load, it's the chain skipping on the sprockets.

The chain runs about $70 and is relatively easy to replace.  Shoot me an email if you run into any problems and I can walk you through them. bountyhunter AT sija.org .

Offline jfrabat

• Gargantuan Mango Tree Mechanic®
  • Finally USING the Jeep!
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2011, 03:11:49 PM »
A stretched chain will cause a banging noise when in 4wd and under load, it's the chain skipping on the sprockets.

The chain runs about $70 and is relatively easy to replace.  Shoot me an email if you run into any problems and I can walk you through them. bountyhunter AT sija.org .

If it was the chain, you could also consider going to the larger (thicker, not longer) one.  I dont remember the specs, but I am sure others can chime in here and let you know what you need...
'94 YJ 2.5L with 4" RE lift, Superwinch EPi9.0, FoMoCo e-Fan, SD30 and SD35 w/ARB-5.13, 165A alt., 33" BFG KM2 on 15" AR wheels, Sony sound system, Pavement Ends Hardtop, Hydroboost

Offline neale_rs

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2011, 04:04:26 PM »
I'll vote for axle u-joints.  Mine was like that when I bought it.
'95 YJ, 33 x 12.5 mud tires, RE 4.5 ED lift, Atlas 4 speed, rear D44, ARBs front and rear, 4.56 gears, 8000# winch

calvinh

« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2011, 01:51:01 AM »
Im 99% sure its the chain as it isn't just a single clunk, it definitely feels like a slipping chain on a bike.

I'm headed to the junkyard tomorrow to try to get a chain off a cherokee, because they don't have any wranglers.

If they have any 2.5 cherokees there I might try to get a tps sensor, iac, and whatever else I can think of

Offline FourbangerYJ

« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2011, 09:18:25 AM »
Im 99% sure its the chain as it isn't just a single clunk, it definitely feels like a slipping chain on a bike.

I'm headed to the junkyard tomorrow to try to get a chain off a cherokee, because they don't have any wranglers.

If they have any 2.5 cherokees there I might try to get a tps sensor, iac, and whatever else I can think of

Did you check any of your U joints?
Scott~

Using tools you have not used in a while is like shaking hands with old friends. :nod:

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2011, 01:41:57 PM »
Did you check any of your U joints?
A loose U-joint strap or a bad joint will also make repeated clunks.
Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZNlr60GXH5OlKIFrT7P6mg
My Jeep: http://4bangerjp.com/forums/index.php?topic=2783.0
"If the motor car were invented today, there is absolutely no way that any government in the world would let normal members of the public drive one."

Offline FourbangerYJ

« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2011, 02:53:20 PM »
A loose U-joint strap or a bad joint will also make repeated clunks.

That's where I would have started to look.
Scott~

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel Blower®
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2011, 02:57:19 PM »
is the noise coming from between/under the seats or from the front? that could tell where the problem is (with 1 remaining u-joint at the front output of the t-case which can be easily ruled out if there is still a doubt).
'95 YJ, NSG370 6spd / Hurst shifter, Dana 300 + 4:1 Doubler / tri-stick, Custom skid, Super D35 / Auburn LSD / 4.88, 35x12.5x15 BFG KM2, 64mm t/b, 1.7 RollerRockers, MkVIII e-fan, Dual Diaph Booster
Latest: Corbeau BajaRS heated seats :dance: keeping warm the rear end

Offline Bounty Hunter

• http://www.sija.org
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2011, 04:47:57 PM »
I would recommend against using a used transfer case chain, it's a roll of the dice for all the work involved, and new ones are inexpensive.

calvinh

« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2011, 01:55:07 AM »
Checked the u joints today, no slack in the driveshafts, the slack was coming from the transfer case... so I think its confirmed as being the chain.

I probably won't even end up doing the repair this year, because I've only had to use 4wd once so far and it still works well unless its under a lot of load.